Is Obama's carpet big enough to sweep this under.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-05/new-york-times-publishes-front-page-editorial-on-gun-violence/7004628

There have been 353 mass shootings in America in 2015, according to Mass Shooting Tracker, a website which records data of shootings in the United States.
The site defines a mass shooting as when "four or more people are shot in an event, or related series of events, likely without a cooling off period".
There have been 12,281 deaths and 24,803 injuries due to gun violence in the United States this year according to the Gun Violence Archive, a not-for-profit organisation that publishes information about gun violence.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1449388811.053142.jpg

(Ed: just saw the atrocious punctuation, hope I didn't offend anyone)

technobabble66 said:
Again, i think most of us don't think you're trying/intending to be racist. But the bottom line is that it is.
Simple fact. **** should pull his head in. Bans have been handed out for less.

I have pruned this thread of a variety of comments made. Many were initially valid in context of other, earliercomments but all in all they have veered way off topic.

Please keep the discussion reasonably on topic (gun control in the US) and be aware that further diversions can and will result in the thread being permanently locked. I prefer open discussion to censorship or hiding - in this particular case there was a forum member's request for an edit which led to the other off topic posts becoming irrelevant to that post and very irrelevant to the specific topic.

Please can all forum members familiarise themselves with all guidelines but specifically the following three:

6. Content of a discriminative nature based on gender, race, religion, political beliefs, disability or sexual orientation may be deleted at the discretion of the site administrators.

14. Posts complaining about moderation, or discussing administrative decisions will be deleted. Such discussion should take place via Private Message

15. Posts believed to be "trolling", off-topic or deliberately hijacking a thread will be deleted.

Full guidelines/board rules found here: http://aussiehomebrewer.com/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

Thankyou

The NRA hits back!

Article (with embedded video) here.

"...the NRA video leaves no stone unturned and none of its demons unscathed as it connects the dots, as the video's introduction says, between "the global alliance of elitists, media activists, Hollywood celebrities, campus radicals and political power mongers who have openly attacked sacred American values and the people who cherish them with ruthlessness, contempt and downright hatred," who share "the same fanatical fervour to tear apart the foundations of America as the terrorists who threaten our very survival".

"The video is proudly sponsored by Kimber, purveyor and manufacturer of guns."

I tried to go to the Kimber webpage just then...blocked at work and the reason? Category: Crime/Terrorism (Global)

Kumamoto_Ken said:
The NRA hits back!

Article (with embedded video) here.

"...the NRA video leaves no stone unturned and none of its demons unscathed as it connects the dots, as the video's introduction says, between "the global alliance of elitists, media activists, Hollywood celebrities, campus radicals and political power mongers who have openly attacked sacred American values and the people who cherish them with ruthlessness, contempt and downright hatred," who share "the same fanatical fervour to tear apart the foundations of America as the terrorists who threaten our very survival".

"The video is proudly sponsored by Kimber, purveyor and manufacturer of guns."

I tried to go to the Kimber webpage just then...blocked at work and the reason? Category: Crime/Terrorism (Global)

And apparently spearheaded the assault with an arsenal of catchphrases.

klangers said:
fully automatic, battlefield-grade assault rifles hanging on the bloody shelf at Walmart.

danbeer said:
Gunna call bullshit on that.
Try this maybe this or this, klangers' comment isn't a long way off the mark, remembering this is only what they list on the interwebs not all that is available.

Florian said:
Full auto???
No but still weapons available at walmart, let me try again, klangers has been called out as bullshit, I don't think it's total bullshit just a stretching of the truth.

Bridges said:
Try this maybe this or this, klangers' comment isn't a long way off the mark, remembering this is only what they list on the interwebs not all that is available.
Sorry Bridges, you've only linked to manual and self loaders with pretty camo schemes. Afaik most states don't permit full automatic weapons without the proper permits. Admittedly they sell similar models to military issue but in a self loading variant. Still, there's no denying that access to extremely efficient, legal firearms is all too easy without even going into accessing illegal weapons.

Although, I suppose in a way it's somewhat true as I've seen enough Dan Bilzerian footage to make one shake their head.

Bridges said:
No but still weapons available at walmart, let me try again, klangers has been called out as bullshit, I don't think it's total bullshit just a stretching of the truth.
Pretty sure when danbeer called bullshit he refered to the fully automatic battle grade comment, not to the well known fact that you can buy guns at walmart.

Edit: agree that there are probably way too many guns floating around but we don't have to paint the picture any worse than it is in reality just to get the point across.

Mardoo said:
True, but finding a firing sear for a semi-auto and getting it fitted is a doddle in the States.
The perfect accompaniment for your 3D printed AR-16 action.

It was common practice in my old man's era to file down the trigger mech of certain .22 self loaders so you could empty a clip in half a second. But the bunnies were more dangerous back then.

First of all let me say that I'm an ex-serviceman trained in the correct & safe use/storage of fire arms. I don't currently own a firearm. Do I believe we should be allowed to own (not carry) firearms.......Yes I do. I also believe there should be strict rules & regulations around such allowances. Do I think guns are the problem?..........Hell no!!!!! I'm sure that if I was that type of person, I could run down Queen St. Mall in Brisbane holding a screwdriver, & kill a heap of people before someone took me down. The bottom line is "Guns don't kill people......People do". Gun ownership just has to be manage properly. The way Howard did it after Port Arthur, while well intentioned, took the guns off the wrong people. i.e: The law abiding people. The criminals/underworld still get their hands on high powered automatic, or concealable firearms. I wish I knew the answer but I don't. I do know that taking guns off everyone, only takes them off those who would never have used them illegally anyway.
Just my two bobs worth.

Latest posts

Back