Is Obama's carpet big enough to sweep this under.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always had a keen interest in US history. It really is one long read of bang bang shoot em up lawlessness. I can sort of understand why the right to bear arms became law but as someone said when it was enacted they only had flint-locks. I think if I lived in the US I would own a gun. You never know when some methed-up ****-wits may ride into camp. Who knows what to think. Glad I live in Australia.

brentice said:
Whilst the N.R.A has so much political pull I think Obama is powerless to do anything really
Yep. The NRA and the imbedded cultural mentality of most of the population as well. Obama is right but that doesn't way up to shit on the overall.
Besides that I think if came even close to capable of enforcing gun reform there's a million armed nutjobs who would line him up in the crosshairs, literally!

Blind Dog said:
As I understood it, the right to keep and bear arms is protected by a the 2nd amendment to the US constitution and therefore would need 2/3 support in both houses and would then need to be ratified by 75% of the States before any changes are made. Snowball and hell come to mind
Bit like the Libs pushing to get a 15%.......I doub I will ever see it

The "Right to bear arms" had to do with the Governemnt not being able to afford arms for the Army so they told the people that if they joined up to the malitia and bring there own weapons then the Government will never take those weapons off them. The ammendment was supposed to be repealed, but never happened..

Stolen for Wikiepeadia.......

On May 8, 1792, Congress passed "[a]n act more effectually to provide for the National Defence, by establishing an Uniform Militia throughout the United States" requiring:

The act also gave specific instructions to domestic weapon manufacturers "that from and after five years from the passing of this act, muskets for arming the militia as herein required, shall be of bores sufficient for balls of the eighteenth part of a pound."[116] In practice, private acquisition and maintenance of rifles and muskets meeting specifications and readily available for militia duty proved problematic; estimates of compliance ranged from 10 to 65 per

[E]ach and every free able-bodied white male citizen of the respective States, resident therein, who is or shall be of age of eighteen years, and under the age of forty-five years (except as is herein after excepted) shall severally and respectively be enrolled in the militia...[and] every citizen so enrolled and notified, shall, within six months thereafter, provide himself with a good musket or firelock, a sufficient bayonet and belt, two spare flints, and a knapsack, a pouch with a box therein to contain not less than twenty-four cartridges, suited to the bore of his musket or firelock, each cartridge to contain a proper quantity of powder and ball: or with a good rifle, knapsack, shot-pouch and powder-horn, twenty balls suited to the bore of his rifle, and a quarter of a pound of powder; and shall appear, so armed, accoutred and provided, when called out to exercise, or into service, except, that when called out on company days to exercise only, he may appear without a knapsack.[116]

Vini2ton said:
You never know when some methed-up ****-wits may ride into camp. Who knows what to think.
And are you suggesting that we don't have those sorts now on the streets in Australia!!
Have a read of the papers most days where there is someone in the law courts that did something bloody awful to his fellow man and his deffence is that he/she was high on some sort of shit
There is a guy currently in the Perth law courts on charges of killing a bloke and it is claimed he had been on a cannabis bender for a few days as though that in some way explained why he did it.

I agree it will be very hard to introduce gun control/ownership laws in the USA

Wobbly

wobbly said:
And are you suggesting that we don't have those sorts now on the streets in Australia!!
Have a read of the papers most days where there is someone in the law courts that did something bloody awful to his fellow man and his deffence is that he/she was high on some sort of shit
There is a guy currently in the Perth law courts on charges of killing a bloke and it is claimed he had been on a cannabis bender for a few days as though that in some way explained why he did it.

I agree it will be very hard to introduce gun control/ownership laws in the USA

Wobbly
Even cops are on the gear

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/perth-police-dog-shooter-stood-down-after-failing-drug-test-20151203-gle7yy.html

There is a part of that 2nd Amendment every man has a right to defend himself.
A bit different to running amok with an assault rifle.
It would be a tough job, and it would need a tough president to start the motions of bringing the guns under control, but not impossible.

Quite the eye opener listening to the 'ol ABC this morning and hearing an interview from an AUS journo with some dude whose wife, maybe child was in the building (either way..........he was quite involved) and luckily his family escaped unharmed..........he suggested that the problem was "crazy assholes" and the journo then prompted him by saying that its too easy for the crazy assholes to get guns.........He responded with the thought that if their were more people with guns in there, shooting up the shooters, there would've been a better outcome.

He then said something along the lines of "Lady, if you're looking for someone who supports gun control, you've got the wrong guy"

Member/s of his ******* family were in there.

I'm in no way anti gun........ I enjoy hunting, and I associate with a lot of other like minded people who have access to firearms, but I consider myself lucky I live in a country whereby associating with those folk, I rarely encounter people with the attitude that that dude displayed.

Shoot rabbits, not people. Rabbits make better pies.

DU99 said:
Same thing was said about Gun Ownership in australia.It Happened..
Yeah but I don't see that we were even a pimple on a pumpkin in comparison on gun culture. We may have gone more that way though. So it was far easier to fix the problem here before it really became a problem.
Tip my hat to Howard for doing that and soooo glad I was born to this country too. Our minds are wired differently to Americans on this subject.

Just to add a 2 cent observation in the flaw (my opinion) on American mentality to defend and protect themselves. May sound dumb but.
A gun is not a shield. It does not stop bullets from hitting you and can very much attract more bullets your way. It only adds to the amount of bullets flying around. May be better to evolve on easily wearable body armour. Hey there's a niche option. :rolleyes:

Danscraftbeer said:
:lol: did this just go from shootings to butchery?
I thought the discussion had turned to vagina pie. Just don't take too big a bite or it will taste like shit.

Sorry, should have clarified. Was a perfectly legitimate opst....my wife makes a better pie. As in, follows recipe, encases filling in pastry, places in over for about 40 mins at 180C, then serves with mash and veg.

It has for some time been the aim of the NRA and the far-right blogosphere in the US to promote fear and sell guns. To a degree it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy as more and more scared people are armed.

But here are some useful statistics:

1. Yes, there are more guns than people in the US,but
2. Only 32% of households own guns, therefore
3. Since the average household size is 1.8, the number of guns in the households that do own guns is almost six.

How many of those gun hoards are hobby collections and how many are nuts arming for a showdown with home invaders, blacks, Muslims, the government or whatever is anyone's guess. But a fair share of those gun owners are scared or angry.

The other 68% are getting worried, which is the idea. In all the many years I lived in the US I never owned a gun or heard one go off in the city, but maybe all my old neighbors are getting armed now. Would I want to be the last gun owner and have that known? That's how fear works.

As I have noted here before, US gun proponents keep recycling the story that Australian gun deaths soared after the buyback. They get that by cherrypicking years and ignoring population growth.

I thought Leahy summed it up pretty well...

12295260_10153257803382688_4936661292533167449_n.jpg

I think the general public has got it all wrong due to the nuances of the English language. This is what originally intended by the second amendment:

Untitled.png

Latest posts

Back