Is Obama's carpet big enough to sweep this under.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A bad driver doesn't make for a poor metalworker.
Ed: maybe I should expand. I get your point. But for example I worked as a welder with a fellow welder who had lost his licence yet still drove to work. Hit redline most days he left the joint (part of the reason he lost the licence). Yet when it came to the cold saw, he would near threaten to kill people when he saw them hang off the arm. So while the imagery seems appropriate, if we tarnish all walks of life with the same brush of lowest common denominator nobody should be allowed to leave their homes.
This doesn't make it ok for everyone to own a firearm. Conversely is doesn't mean nobody should be exposed to them, as this wouldn't make for a safer society because the wrong people will still get hold of them.

The above (wiggman) sums it up. Everyone has the potential in them to be a selfish dickhead who puts others at risk. I do it here and there. I'm grown up enough to realise that it happens and admit it. There will never be a black and white solution to keep us completely free from being fucked up by someone else's dickheadishness.

Try not to be an asshole who fucks things up for everyone else, especially if you own a firearm.

We'll never eliminate the crazies who have access to cars/guns/dogs/hammers but YOU can do your best for these groups by not being a fuckwit, and if you are a fuckwit and you have your access to these things you like taken away from you...... Don't blame the nanny state, blame yourself for being a fuckwit and other fuckwits like yourself who bought on the regulation that keeps fuckwits away from things that helps them do fuckwittish things.

TheWiggman said:
Ed: maybe I should expand. I get your point. But for example I worked as a welder with a fellow welder who had lost his licence yet still drove to work. Hit redline most days he left the joint (part of the reason he lost the licence). Yet when it came to the cold saw, he would near threaten to kill people when he saw them hang off the arm. So while the imagery seems appropriate, if we tarnish all walks of life with the same brush of lowest common denominator nobody should be allowed to leave their homes.
This doesn't make it ok for everyone to own a firearm. Conversely is doesn't mean nobody should be exposed to them, as this wouldn't make for a safer society because the wrong people will still get hold of them.
Of course people shouldn't be tarred with the same brush.
I was both joking and calling people at large stupid at the same time. Different kinds of stupid but stupid nonetheless.

manticle said:
I'm glad most people probably never get to touch a cold cut saw considering how they operate vehicles.
Or Micky Rourke. Remember that deli scene in The Wrestler?

**shivers**

rourkedeli.jpg

On topic, the biggest problem with all this is the word 'right'. The supposed 'right' to own a gun. Absolute bullshit in my opinion. It is a privilege, not a right, and a significant privilege at that. The sooner we get that concept out of the USA's heads the better. But good luck with that.

TheWiggman said:
And thats exactly how we're governed and regulated.

The way I understand it is the 2nd amendment was ratified in the 1790s. What I can't understand is why aren't people who insist on exercising their constitutional rights restricted to weapons available at that time? It's a bit difficult to do rapid fire with a musket or blunderbus.

Surprised no one has linked to this. So I think I will.

Last edited by a moderator:
antiphile said:
The way I understand it is the 2nd amendment was ratified in the 1790s. What I can't understand is why aren't people who insist on exercising their constitutional rights restricted to weapons available at that time? It's a bit difficult to do rapid fire with a musket or blunderbus.
This is a point that people tend to miss. Well said.

TheWiggman said:
Why? Average people aren't crims. I think having used and having respect for firearms is a good thing.
Ok, I will say it a different way.

I like the idea that relatively few people own guns and there are relatively few guns in Australia and because of this fewer younger people have any exposure to them.
They are not interested in them so why would using and having respect for them be a good thing? In case they have to bear arms one day?

I am not saying people should not be allowed to own guns. I think our rules are pretty good right now.

Criminals are not the only reason that others die with guns. In the US thousands die each year from copping a stray bullet while riding their bike or being shot from an accidental discharge.

Less interest in guns = less guns = less gun related deaths.

pcmfisher said:
Less interest in guns = less guns = less gun related deaths.

Exactly.

if you want to own and use a gun, no one is stopping you ( legally of course ). BUT...that does not mean the gun owners should try and force their views onto others because they think that everyone should have guns and that most people are Ok and wont go around killing people

TheWiggman said:
On topic, the biggest problem with all this is the word 'right'. The supposed 'right' to own a gun. Absolute bullshit in my opinion. It is a privilege, not a right, and a significant privilege at that. The sooner we get that concept out of the USA's heads the better. But good luck with that.
+1. People who claim " it's my right " to my mind are enough to give diarrhoea the shits, and me.
Rights my arse ! Privilege/ privileges is all we have.

Ahhhh I feel better now. :)

Latest posts

Back