Infection Photo Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From memory, acetate is a fairly common ester produced relative to ferment temp. Since 22 degrees is not unusual it could be a wild yeast that's produced some fussel funk. I've had success aging bottles to drinkable but I may just have got lucky.

Hard to tell from photo but is the stuff stuck to walls just protein or break matter?

Garf

Don’t know? I don’t know a lot about infections etc. This was a kit brew so a lot of the all grain issues can be eliminated. As it Xmas if I don’t have to chuck it would be great as I could use others and leave this for a month or so. Am I grabbing at straws? Ditch? Keep?

Only you can really be the judge of that Grott. Chill it, carbonate it. Some things go away some things dont. I had an apple cider with M27 when fermenting gave of fumes like what you describe but then that fume smell seemed to release/dissipated through the ferment and didn't carry through to the finished product. Then I have some bottled beer under the house with that fume flavour that is permanent. Has not dissipated after years of ageing.

Nail polish/acetone is a sign of infection. The beer may turn.

Neck it, quick

So a taste now could be ok but?
Unless someone has had this same problem and suggest keeping, I’ll ditch after a taste tomorrow.
I’ll cry, I’ll be shitty, I’ll blame everyone else (look in mirror) and think how the **** this happened after so many successful brews.
I was a Santa, is an elf fucked off with me

Are you sure you didn't just snort pure co2? That can be pretty intense.

Just by looking at the gunk on the side of the fermenter is a bit hard to tell really.

I'd be inclined to give it crack and if it turns out ok, great.

If it is infected, I'd retire the fermenter and get a new one.

Unless someone has had this same problem and suggest keeping, I’ll ditch after a taste tomorrow.
I’ll cry, I’ll be shitty, I’ll blame everyone else (look in mirror) and think how the **** this happened after so many successful brews.
Tip it if it turns. It may not.

BDD is on the money

In your first post, yoiu said it was a wheat beer. I am assuming you would have used a wheat beer yeast or were supplied a wheat if it was a kit beer. Funny yeast is wheat yeast and to me there is no infection, wheat yeast is a super top-cropper and having used it a lot, it can produce the sort of floaties you show in the pics. Being a super top-cropper that usually produces a lot of foam it can drag solids to the top and, especially if you're using kits where hot and cold break are not removed and produce these large protein solids in the beer. As you empty the fermenter they will disperse onto the sides of the fermenter.

Nothing to worry about

In your first post, yoiu said it was a wheat beer. I am assuming you would have used a wheat beer yeast or were supplied a wheat if it was a kit beer. Funny yeast is wheat yeast and to me there is no infection, wheat yeast is a super top-cropper and having used it a lot, it can produce the sort of floaties you show in the pics. Being a super top-cropper that usually produces a lot of foam it can drag solids to the top and, especially if you're using kits where hot and cold break are not removed and produce these large protein solids in the beer. As you empty the fermenter they will disperse onto the sides of the fermenter.

Nothing to worry about

I agree. It sure looks like proteins. I've had similar experiences on Saisons. Carb on young padawan!

yeah man, no need to be worried about it. chill it up, carb it up. If you can handle drink it then it's all good, if not tip it. it's not going to kill you.

Sadly after chilling and carbonating it tasted medicinal and even mixing in the glass with an English Bitter I just couldn’t persist. So first (and hope last) brew down the sink. If 18 again it would be consumed but I’m passed drinking crap.
Thanks for help/advice.

Sadly after chilling and carbonating it tasted medicinal and even mixing in the glass with an English Bitter I just couldn’t persist. So first (and hope last) brew down the sink. If 18 again it would be consumed but I’m passed drinking crap.
Thanks for help/advice.
I'm sorry to hear that, Grott. I made a nice vinegar from a spoilt batch once. Actually that's not entirely true... It turned itself into vinegar but made 50L of decent dressing.

When life hands you lemonades...

I have a brewer friend who will force himself to drink an infected batch. I just don't have that sort of steeled resolve, **** drinking bad beer. I learn my lessons without punishing my taste buds

.. it's usually the wallet that takes a pounding instead

So true and when you can’t enjoy it why bother. I love beer, but decent beer. My days or drinking crap are well and truely over.

So what about this? Not my beer by the way. Its Belgian ish. I noticed those lines before pouring any beer out. Its like growth on the walls and bottom of the bottle. Not sediment because its like its grown up the wall and all on the bottom but is stuck hard, wont swill off etc. The beer didn't taste bad although I'm no real big fan of Belgians so fairly ordinary. Can yeast just do this? When eating up a carb drop bottle fermenting maybe?
Infected Beer Bottle1.JPG
Infected Beer Bottle3.JPG

Latest posts

Back