Infection Photo Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1276E2EA-6D70-4238-88BD-F143CFBA1323.jpeg Bloody hell, just took the lid off my latest brew and found this! What the shit is it.
(Aussie bitter, 2 kilo of plain sugar, unbranded yeast from the bakers and fermented at 36 degrees for 8 days)

Napalm and C4, obviously if your can scrounge a a few hell fire missiles go with that. But scorched earth required 1km radius minimum.

C96A10A3-A48E-4D43-B161-260767E80D32.jpeg CF740F76-AA30-4993-8E1B-25EB849E5E7E.jpeg 4AE95304-D719-4F0A-9586-33BB3B2370CA.jpeg I’ve not had an infection of any notability but this does puzzle me. It is a standard kit brew, Thomas Coopers Preacher Hefe Wheat with light dry malt extract (Swiss spray). Fermenter 16 days, max temp 22, mainly 19 to 20.

1) when preparing to keg into a 12l and a 9.5l keg there was no smell coming off the fermenter or any indications something may be wrong from the brew surface.
2) in filling each keg, no smell and no indication of a problem.
3) when purging each keg no off smells or indication of a problem.

But the inside of the fermenter showed this and the slurry smelt like nail polish remover.

Last edited:
Filtered the water as done with all my brews.
Is the problem a major one or will it settle out by leaving kegs for a while?

Ha ha, there has been a recent reported problem about chlorine in the water, was on SA news by memory in the last few weeks.
I haven’t tasted yet, but is it recoverable? Why didn’t it smell in the fermenter and whilst kegging and purging?

well does the beer taste or smell bad out of the keg?
At this stage it doesn’t smell but have not tasted yet. Will do. manticle says to ditch before it changes, I think he might be right. Will await am tomorrow as had a few now and would probably like it.

Manticle said drink before it changes. Definitely ditch after.

And clean with nuclear precision and vigour.

From memory, acetate is a fairly common ester produced relative to ferment temp. Since 22 degrees is not unusual it could be a wild yeast that's produced some fussel funk. I've had success aging bottles to drinkable but I may just have got lucky.

Hard to tell from photo but is the stuff stuck to walls just protein or break matter?

Garf

Not sure, but the being stuck to the walls really got me. Is there any danger in just leaving it in the kegs say fit 2 weeks and re-evaluating?

Remember I’m Grott, don’t like wastage - eat/drink it!

Manticle said drink before it changes. Definitely ditch after.

And clean with nuclear precision and vigour.

Mmm.... “drink before it changes” ok but “Definitely ditch after” is that a negative negative? Forget the term but does it mean **** it off now!

Latest posts

Back