Infection Photo Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s possible that the infection has got into scratching made by the up and down movement of a bottle brush.
Good call. Like the bristled tip probably came off leaving the bare wire end while they were ferociously scrubbing it probably trying to prevent infections.
Amateurs :rolleyes: I gave them two of my best. o_O

5B2A67D9-E4FB-40BE-BDE2-9F05850A0A40.jpeg ED9B5AE1-C7BF-4C98-825C-7768FFF3BE06.jpeg Anyone have any thoughts on this? WLP007 on day 5 after krausen has dropped. Started off with little white spots that I noticed yesterday, now joined as per picture. I haven’t tasted it yet though will do later, all smells pretty normal. And there is glad wrap over the lid which I haven’t taken off.

It certainly looks a bit suspicious. It’s that kind of creamy look that gets me wondering. I don’t have anything definitive to offer though. If it were me I’d rack most of the beer off and leave the last few litres behind.

View attachment 111113 View attachment 111112 I haven’t tasted it yet though will do later, all smells pretty normal. And there is glad wrap over the lid which I haven’t taken off.

Three things,
I’d gently spoon the stuff of the top
you need to put a lid on or glad wrap again to reduce oxygen contact
You must taste it. Drain some off to clear what’s sitting in the tap and then taste some.

Back a bit I had a bummer, no smell at all but the taste was well it went down the sink in the end.

It certainly looks a bit suspicious. It’s that kind of creamy look that gets me wondering. I don’t have anything definitive to offer though. If it were me I’d rack most of the beer off and leave the last few litres behind.
Three things,
I’d gently spoon the stuff of the top
you need to put a lid on or glad wrap again to reduce oxygen contact
You must taste it. Drain some off to clear what’s sitting in the tap and then taste some.

Back a bit I had a bummer, no smell at all but the taste was well it went down the sink in the end.

Thanks guys. I’m not overly confident about it, though never had an infection before and first time using this yeast so wasn’t sure what I was looking at. Maybe I should’ve used that second layer of glad wrap...

I’m away for work now till tomorrow night so will check and taste it then, hopefully hasn’t gone too feral and I can spoon it off then see what happens from there.

how did you go?

Just came back tonight and checked it, all now looks almost normal but I tasted it and does not seem right. I’ll have another taste tomorrow and go from there, I may be now thinking I’m tasting something but I’m pretty sure it’s fucked. 45L about to go on the lawn I think, at least the worms will enjoy it.

3639B64D-2088-4504-8DCE-E8E79B6B0FC0.jpeg
D57EE344-94D0-4AC0-B8DD-972417B1C91C.jpeg

acid, like buritic but with the texture of custard skin laying on the tongue....

and an after taste that reminds me never to drink rum again

Any particular taste that you describe to us?
acid, like buritic but with the texture of custard skin laying on the tongue....

and an after taste that reminds me never to drink rum again

Mate, you have hit it on the head, exactly what it is like. Extremely disappointing, now to try to figure out the cause. Edit - I understand it is the Brewer...

Last edited:
I've just finished fermenting a bavarian wheat beer in the fermenter king. OG 1.045 FG 1.007 (seems a bit low)
IMG_20200923_010746.jpg
IMG_20200923_010926.jpg

Fermentation should have finished, but there's still krausen (hopefully) on top. Is this ok, or possibly an infection?

IMG_20200923_010943.jpg

Sometimes Krausen just won't drop, and I've found with some belgian wit strains randomly the krausen just won't drop.

If it's bacteria, it's unlikely it's taken hold so fast. Looks normal to me, and as long as it's not mould you're ok!

I've just finished fermenting a bavarian wheat beer in the fermenter king. OG 1.045 FG 1.007 (seems a bit low)
View attachment 119155View attachment 119156

Fermentation should have finished, but there's still krausen (hopefully) on top. Is this ok, or possibly an infection?

View attachment 119154
You're sweet mate. That's exactly how healthy yeast looks late into ferment. Let it sit another week at your preferred temperature and that will clear up. I tend to leave an extra day after ferment for resting things long diacytal and vdk. If all your beers look like this then you're going great for a ?new? Brewer

Back