Infection Photo Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raven19

Homer is God
Reaction score
Thought this thread may help others in the future in the unfortunate event of having a possible (or definite) infection...

My first and most likely an Aceto infection.

DSCN4034.JPG

DSCN4038.JPG

Lesson learnt: Never open the fermentor during ferment, let alone inside a dirty fridge! Clean the fridge religiously now!

(a few months later) my landlord is now currupt too!

Green/white mould ontop in clumps on the krausen.]

I suspect my yeast starter was not in good condition allowing this beast to take over. Fermented in different fridge after a good nuking too... fksocks!

DSCN4181.JPG

DSCN4183.JPG

Thanks raven. I have often thought that a thread where people can put up pics of infections would be great. I might have one of my own very soon. A coopers clone didn't fire up for a few days. I din't bother checking it because the coopers yeast has never failed on me. I had forgotten that i had frozen my yeast samples.
There's something on the top growing, it may be yeast, or it may be infection. Smells like coopers though so we will see.

Gee,

I just opened my fermenter the other day to dry hop.... Hope my fridge was clean.....? Might be adding to the album too

Actually in the process of using my second top-feeding yeast, transfered to secondary and im getting these white foamy patches starting to grow on top...
Can i safely assume these are yeasts? cant get a good photo at the moment due to camera phone / gladwrap layers.

Ouch mate. That freakin sucks... Last years case swap beer?? Didn't you need to re-brew due to an infection??

Yes mate, made a version of Janets Brown Ale (Tasty McD's recipe from Brewing Network) - enjoying a pint of it now actually. Rebrew went from grain to bottle in 2 weeks.

Just call it a pellicle, add the dregs from a say Orval. No one be the wiser :blink:

thoughts on this?

saw it a few days tp a week ago developing, been in CC for a 2 days and now and has a definate film on the top.. can sort of make it out in the photo... looks like colonies of something to me.. taste test is non committal as yet.. to the lawn or let it go?

Fave fermenter :(

is this my first infection?

[edit] must remember to add photo....

Capture.JPG

I would say so. Those grey bubbles dont look good at all. How does it smell ?

from the glass like beer, nothing I could pick up anyway.. following thought was.. and from the fermenter??.. went outside and had the teeniest whif and almost burned my nose off... evil... 1 first garden brew...

:( :angry: :(

Are you sure you didn't get a lung full of CO2 from the fermenter?

I did that once... Not recommended!

What does it tastes like? FG?

Give it a swirl to drive out any CO2 (which could be those bubbles) then reassess in a few days maybe.

I had the a very simiar looking fermenter the other week. Kegged it asap and force carbed. 40 liters are 5/6th gone and ain't noticed it!

The film right on top is most likely cling wrap
The film on the wort surface is likely acetobacter
I won't kill you and many do not treat it as an infection.
Chuck it and sanitize the f out of your fermentor, so much you end up with an ermentor

K

What does it tastes like? FG?

Give it a swirl to drive out any CO2 (which could be those bubbles) then reassess in a few days maybe.

just tasted like beer from the tap, FG was 1012, I gave it a swirl right into the gutter, time is short, ive not seen bubbles or a film like that on the beeer before, not chancing it, will take the hit and move on.

Cheers

The film right on top is most likely cling wrap
The film on the wort surface is likely acetobacter
I won't kill you and many do not treat it as an infection.
Chuck it and sanitize the f out of your fermentor, so much you end up with an ermentor

K

;) damn film on top gets on all my brews.. I must have a constant glad infection :rolleyes:

roger on the nuking

from the glass like beer, nothing I could pick up anyway.. following thought was.. and from the fermenter??.. went outside and had the teeniest whif and almost burned my nose off... evil... 1 first garden brew...

:( :angry: :(

Are you sure you didn't get a lung full of CO2 from the fermenter?

I did that once... Not recommended!

I've got money on it being the CO2 burning your nose as well.. Not sure on the infection front though (But it looks as though you already fed this one to the fish anyhow).

just tasted like beer from the tap, FG was 1012, I gave it a swirl right into the gutter, time is short, ive not seen bubbles or a film like that on the beeer before, not chancing it, will take the hit and move on.

Cheers

;) damn film on top gets on all my brews.. I must have a constant glad infection :rolleyes:

roger on the nuking
Just tasted like beer? If it tastes like beer it's a good thing right?
Maybe you should stop looking in the top.

Maybe you should stop looking in the top.

Problem solved with a tea-towel.

Infection
No Infection
Infection
No Infection
Infection
No Infection
Infection
No Infection

A lot of these microbes can only live on the surface of your beer as they need contact from the air to reproduce / survive. If you notice it quick enough and your beer still tastes clean, there is no reason why you can't keg this beer. Just make sure to leave the surface of the fermented beer un-disturbed and once carbonated I'd drink it asap.

Latest posts

Back