Infection Photo Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mr B said:
Has been very wet here lately.

Went to crash two batches that have been in primary for a month or so (too long I know, it went quick!)

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1492427639.702222.jpg

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1492427664.179966.jpg

Mould and/or pellicle. Both taste fine at the moment, finished a couple of points high. They are on the bench tonight but I reckon I will tip them.

Unfortunately the ferment fudge has a bit of mould. Gave a bit of a clean up, was only a little. Concerning are a couple of buts on the outside of the good fermentor - hopefully only the outside!

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1492427853.080087.jpg

After a good wipe and starsan I put a yeast starter in there, hope it will be ok.

This part of brewing sucks.....
I feel your pain mate. Went to keg a beer yesterday and my only spare corny was full of mould. Took it apart and soaked it in 75 degree sodium perc for a few hours, rinsed, then filled with starsan before I transferred. Got it all out but it sure makes you question whether brewing is a fun hobby!

Mr B said:
Has been very wet here lately.

Went to crash two batches that have been in primary for a month or so (too long I know, it went quick!)

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1492427639.702222.jpg

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1492427664.179966.jpg

Mould and/or pellicle. Both taste fine at the moment, finished a couple of points high. They are on the bench tonight but I reckon I will tip them.

Unfortunately the ferment fudge has a bit of mould. Gave a bit of a clean up, was only a little. Concerning are a couple of buts on the outside of the good fermentor - hopefully only the outside!

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1492427853.080087.jpg

After a good wipe and starsan I put a yeast starter in there, hope it will be ok.

This part of brewing sucks.....

I kegged one that had some stringing white mould on it in January. It was a Belgian IPA fermented with Danstar Abbaye.

It was a bit funky but I didn't mind it actually. It got better with age in the keg and was slightly sour.

This was the last extract brew I did before moving to all grain.

IMG_20170117_182300.jpg

hi i have just keg a pilsner was clean tasted ok but after i filled the keg i looked in fermenter and this is what i found a weird looking yeast is this a infection or what as i said tasted ok will carb it up tomorrow thanks for any help

Attachments

• 20170613_124623.jpg
    20170613_124623.jpg
    505.7 KB · Views: 245
  • 20170613_124641.jpg
    20170613_124641.jpg
    621.4 KB · Views: 259
  • 20170613_125112.jpg
    20170613_125112.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 249
  • 20170613_120420.jpg
    20170613_120420.jpg
    532.8 KB · Views: 237
That yeast looks tops. Brew another batch and dump that in it.

Yep, dump some high-gravity wort on that cake. That'll work a treat. Even better, save half the cake in a sterilised bottle and ferment with the other half.

Hi folks.

Been away from brewing for about 18 months, and decided to start again. As a quick start due to limited time, bought a Fresh Wort Kit - Saison, WLP 566 Belgian Saison 2 yeast, old Coopers fermenter that had been in storage for the since I haven't been brewing. I believed that I had sanitised the fermenter with Sodium Percarbonate for a couple of days. Fermented @ 22C for 8 days. the ferment went as per normal. Ramped temp to 24C for 2 days while I was going away for the weekend. Everything looked normal until I returned home, and did a sg reading. Initial sg 1053, current sg 1008.

And then I noticed that there seemed to be a white film on the inside of the fermenter. Not really anything on the top, just on the fermenter sides. Pictures tell the story, nothing seen untl the last 3 days when I was away:

Attachments

• IMAG0299.jpg
    IMAG0299.jpg
    409.1 KB · Views: 221
  • IMAG0302.jpg
    IMAG0302.jpg
    709.7 KB · Views: 222
  • IMAG0304.jpg
    IMAG0304.jpg
    574 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
Are we lookin at acetobacteria here?
It's a cider made from home grown and pressed apples. It is around 4ish months old, i haven't racked it or anything, just being lazy and left it in a dark spot in the cellar for a few months. I fermented with 1968.
I haven't tasted or had a smell yet, and I'm currently away so can't do so for around a week.
From what I understand, I shouldn't have left as much head space.
IMG_6194.JPG

hmm looks pretty similar to what i threw out yesterday.
you seem to have a bit more than i did.

i am going off visual here, but i don't think it is, i tasted mine and couldnt detect any tart/vinegar notes. it was a bit more farmhousey/funky so maybe brett or lacto, but i didnt worry about it too much and turffed it.

i just had a google for images and it looks like it might be.
if you taste it, see if you get a tart vinegar hit that aceto is pretty synonymous with.

you need to get o2 present and the infection for aceto to spread, thinking back i popped the corny with my cider in it to faff around with a post so, it doest take much.

looks like you will have to chuck it OR, enjoy your cider vinegar, for salads, etc.

Anyone got any thoughts on this WLP840 American Lager yeast starter? It's the second step (it was an older vial). I suspect it's OK, but the krausen is very thick and aggressive. Maybe just the kind of yeast??
3fdde80c4a332bdf2be0c2cee4e1a078.jpg

Pictures below are of a kettle sour that I finished brewing today. Haven't taken too much notice of the top on previous kettle sours but today noticed that there seems to be more than one biota growing. I mashed, then boiled, chilled then pitched Ethical Nutrients IBS Support which is a pure strain of Lacto. Did the second boil after these photos so they should all be dead now but wondering whats going on. Anybody care to take a punt at what bacteria these are? Just lacto or other?

full

full

I wonder if that pinky stuff is the same bacteria you get on washed rind cheese and it contributes to the "intense aroma".

Hmmmm, I haven’t noticed that growth pattern before. It looks a bit different than other lacto infections I’ve seen. How’s it smell and taste?

Smelled fine as it was going into the fermenter. Will give it a taste test when its time for a hydro reading.

Are we lookin at acetobacteria here?
i am going off visual here, but i don't think it is, i tasted mine and couldnt detect any tart/vinegar notes. it was a bit more farmhousey/funky so maybe brett or lacto, but i didnt worry about it too much and turffed it.

i just had a google for images and it looks like it might be.

Just an FYI for you two - you can't tell which contaminating bacteria/organism it is by the type of pellicle

Latest posts

Back