I want to get elected!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
manticle said:
Why are you talking about hunting rifles though? The suggested ban is on handguns isn' it?
I'm on a phone so that limits my responses - I'd like to come back and respond to some of your points though YO.
No I think somewhere we got on to the 'danger' of privately held rifles in Australia.
In any event most handguns are pretty weak. The .22 calibre rugers that I recall the police going on about aren't exactly battle weapons.
The bullet is (roughly) 1/4 the size of a carbonation drop - and fired from a tiny barrel it would struggle to break the skin from any moderate distance. As opposed to the police firearms, which are high powered military style pistols with much larger bullets and significantly more propellant relative to the size of the bullet (ie more power and more damage).

EDIT, here we go
The .22 Pistols produce 30 joules of energy at the muzzle.
The 9mm police Pistols produce 519 joules of energy at the muzzle.

The sporting pistols are just done up to be 'tacticool' for the US market, but I'm not sure they're 'all that'.

NSW Police use Glock 22

.40 S&W caliber (10mm) bullet

I sure as **** would not want to be shot with one

Ducatiboy stu said:
NSW Police use Glock 22

.40 S&W caliber (10mm) bullet

I sure as **** would not want to be shot with one
Nice edit.
The 40 S&W is even more powerful than the 9mm.
There's a world of difference between the sporting pistols and police ones. They just look the same.

EDIT
Ouch. The 40S&W puts out 576 joules of muzzle energy. Almost 20 times that of the humble .22!
Yet the Greens will still claim that the .22 target handguns are 'military style assault weapons'.

Police pistols are not used to kill. They are to stop and wound an offender.

Well thats what they tell you.......

For what it's worth I support, in principle, gun control and responsible gun ownership.

I support hunting when carried out humanely (some will differ on the definition of that) and for the purposes of catching food or pest/vermin control. Same with fishing although with sport/recreational fishing, it's a tad easier to throw something back you haven't shot through the head.

I'm intrigued anyone could support one nation and be miffed that people might consider them racist. What exactly do you think racism is?

YoungOne said:
Nice edit.
The 40 S&W is even more powerful than the 9mm.
There's a world of difference between the sporting pistols and police ones. They just look the same.
Not if they use the same catridge

Ducatiboy stu said:
Not if they use the same catridge
True, but I think from memory the pistols are limited to .357, which is a long way below the 40 S&W - but that you can get the larger calibre for certain competitions, but the regulation and reporting requirements are immense.

manticle said:
I'm intrigued anyone could support one nation and be miffed that people might consider them racist. What exactly do you think racism is?
Racism, as in, judging people or treating them differently based on where they come from or how they appear.
As I understand it, One Nation doesn't care about race per se, they care about culture. Their primary concern is that our liberal democractic traditions, system of government and broad cultural practices are being undermined by allowing multiple bases of legitimacy rather than allegiance to 'Australian Values'.

I think many people, including a younger version of me, got the wrong end of the stick because of the massive wave of propaganda against one nation, partly fuelled by media gaffes by Pauline Hanson that were used against them.

I also think it is worth noting that they're the only political party in Australia to have had their leaders imprisoned, without merit. Primarily to diffuse their influence politically. I infer this, manticle, because the punishment did not fit the crime.

The major parties were just unhappy that in a single election One Nation went from 0% of the national vote to 10% of the national vote - and they were desperate to discredit them to maintain the status quo.

I would look at the One Nation web page for background.

Their opposition is not based on race, it is based on unity, they're happy to have people come here when we can accommodate the growth - but they expect integration rather than maintaining separate cultural identities.

manticle said:
For what it's worth I support, in principle, gun control and responsible gun ownership.

I support hunting when carried out humanely (some will differ on the definition of that) and for the purposes of catching food or pest/vermin control.
Yes...the correct weapon is required. Fox shooting is done generally with .17 riffles. Very high velocity and gteat ovet long distance in a padock. Roos gen need 22-250 or even better .243. Pigs you need . 3030/308 cause of the thick skull

Ducatiboy stu said:
Done much shooting youngone...

Easy to shoot a .44 at club meets
I haven't joined a pistol club because I am poor and can't afford it. Plus the extra storage requirements mean installing another safe, and it is too much effort for the benefit derived. I'm happy just to be registered for hunting.

All the best Fish13, good on you for getting involved and standing up in what you believe in.
Had to have a look at your parties policies. I notice things like, no bullbar restrictions, and no anti-hoon laws (which I believe are there for a bloody good reason). While you guys look like you support motorcyclist, it would be interesting to hear the party's thoughts on commuter/recreational cyclists.
Also noticed a relative of mine is a senate candidate!

YoungOne said:
I haven't joined a pistol club because I am poor and can't afford it. Plus the extra storage requirements mean installing another safe, and it is too much effort for the benefit derived. I'm happy just to be registered for hunting.
Have you done much ( any ) shooting

Latest posts

Back