I Have A Dirty Little Secret...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hoppy2B said:
I bulk prime and normally just pour my boiled sugar solution straight into the ferment vessel without transfer.

:ph34r: That's my dirty little secret.
How can you be sure of consistent dispersion of the sugar, sound more like that method would undermine the whole point in bulk priming? If you stir it you will disturb the yeast cake, which would mean more time in the fridge to settle out?

I don't bulk prime as I have one of those calibrated spoons for 330mL, 500mL and 750mL based on normal table sugar which we always have on hand. Don't notice any variation in carbonation across my bottles. I'm on the side of the fence where the extra vessel to transfer into and the process to do so is far too risky for the tiny benefit of 'consistent' carbonation which I am unable to find flaws in a sugar spoon method.

You don't need dex if you're having trouble finding it. I've used raw sugar, white sugar, caster sugar, brown sugar, demerara, honey, golden syrup and candi sugar for carbonating beers. Never used dextrose. Use what you can get. Better to weigh the sugar rather than measure it in my opinion, and remember to dissolve it in some water and boil it before adding though.

Florian said:
Yep, sounds easy, but you also need to clean and sanitise an extra bucket and transfer hose, and have the added risk of possible infection and oxygenation during transfer.

Each to their own, but I'm better off kegging...
I keg… and sometimes bottle as well.

Sometimes I make a little extra, I just pour into a sanitised jug (quickly sanitise the jug with Starsan that's sitting around, Ive already got the sanitised transfer hose in the keg), bulk prime - fill bottles.
My bottles are sometimes different measurements, so I can be sure I'm dosing them all correctly.

this thread is now an "i do this...it's easy" thread.

i think it proves many methods work and work well

I always bulk prime and I just work out how many litres of beer I have and then just work off 5g of sugar per litre 7-8g for high carbonation and 4g for lower.

Currently I use a sanitised hose and rack the beer from the fermenter to the bottling bucket.

But I'm really curious to see if you just carefully poured the beer onto your sugar solution (not pouring from a great height) will the tiny bit air introduced really make a difference to the beer?

Always bulk prime with honey or malt. I always carb with a little less then suggested, there is a good online calc in the forums, sometimes I get some flatish beers. Make sure you let it sit for 20mins to mix in real good. Give it a gentle stir as well.

Tahoose said:
I always bulk prime and I just work out how many litres of beer I have and then just work off 5g of sugar per litre 7-8g for high carbonation and 4g for lower.

Currently I use a sanitised hose and rack the beer from the fermenter to the bottling bucket.

But I'm really curious to see if you just carefully poured the beer onto your sugar solution (not pouring from a great height) will the tiny bit air introduced really make a difference to the beer?
Back in my not knowing any better days I did not even have a bottling wand or tube, I just cranked the tap open with a bottle tiltee slightly to reduce foaming. Never noticed oxidised flavors although that said I probably didnt know what oxidised beer should have tasted like either hehe. Goes hand in hand.

I love my wand. I bulk prime and take great care not to splash around to much.
Saying that I bulk primed into my secondary not thinking two days ago.
Instant cloudy beer,mite need to rethink that method.
And that's the point "method" or systems in your brewery are far more important that the sugars you use. If you.have good systems you will know where you went wrong and how to change it.
Me well I now know not to cut corners and prime in secondary. Looking back a fairly stupid thing to do.

There is a theory that the yeast should consume any oxygen that gets mixed in while transferring and thereby eliminate the prospect of oxidation that would otherwise result.

I've never had uneven carbonation from just pouring my sugar solution into the ferment vessel. But that said, I do believe its best to transfer in order to leave gums and things behind in primary, and secondary if going into a third vessel for bottling. It gives you cleaner beer and reduces the likelihood or 'yeast rings' around the top of your bottles.

I like Yob's tap-to-tap transfer method. Thanks for that one Yob, it works great!!!

Clean and sanitise your bottling bucket (I use an extra fermenter or cube). Add your priming sugar. Clean and sanitise the taps on your fermentor and bottling bucket. Clean and sanitise a tube and connect it from your fermentor tap to the tap on your bottling bucket. Make sure the fermentor is a bit higher than the bottling bucket. Tilt the bottling bucket so the tap inlet is at the lowest point, that way only the first gush of beer will get extra oxygen exposure. Open the bucket tap, then the fermentor tap and you'll have a transfer with minimal splashing. The real point isn't reducing oxygen exposure but reducing possible infection sources. However if you have a CO2 source you can flush the bottling bucket with CO2 and reduce oxygen exposure as well.

I've bulk primed the last of my 3 beers. Found it to be much easier process myself, my only issue was my last beer I think I went a bit light on the sugar. I've got minimal carb levels after about 10 days, anything I can do to help them along or are they a lost cause?

Gr390ry said:
I've bulk primed the last of my 3 beers. Found it to be much easier process myself, my only issue was my last beer I think I went a bit light on the sugar. I've got minimal carb levels after about 10 days, anything I can do to help them along or are they a lost cause?
Make sure they're in a warm enough position for the yeast to get to work.

All depends on the temp, yeast and amount of sugar.

Latest posts

Back