How to make a midstrength?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JoeyJoeJoe said:
Dont want to be a whingy bitch but this is in the kit and extract section and well it would be nice if some one would awnser the question.......
Could you use less malt say 2 instead of 3 kg and add maltodextrin to add body but not %? The spread sheet says that 2kg of DME and .5kg maltodextrin would give you a % of 3.7 and a FG of 1015 which is pretty good body?

I havent done it myself but would be interested in the awnser.
Suggestions relevant to kit and extract were made earlier. A little bit of tangential discussion never hurt anyone.

The Maltodextrin thing would certainly work, it's a component of BE2 and I never had an issue with it. However if you also use steeped carapils that will give you more of a "genuine" taste. When I was at a lecture the Weyermann guy said that some breweries use up to 40% Carapils in their modern lower alcohol brews - raised a few eyebrows in the audience - and that's why they make so much of it to supply the commercial light and mid beer markets.

Otherwise they wouldn't be bothered with a lot of their Cara-stuff if it was only for home brew.

Here's what I do for a lazy youbeaut middy. 1 x darker ale type can, 1 x pale-ale type can (whatever you like), 1 x BE2, Steeped dark crystal, & 50L of H20. Yeast of choice. Voila! (Light) dark ale.

I do not recommend the Aztec Gold cerveza recipe from the coopers website.
Tastes like absolute shit, and it's mid strength. F***!

Back