Plannin' a gruit!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimT

Reaction score
Marsh rosemary (check!), bog myrtle (check!), yarrow (check!) - it seems I have all the necessary ingredients in my very house to make a proper medieval-style gruit ale.

Now this is not quite something I've ever done before - all my experiments with herbal brewing do give me some idea as to how I might go about it, but research on these subjects can be important. I've looked at other recipes online and they're patchy at best: other brewers have done it as a once off; there may be some who make gruit ales their specialty but I don't know of them.

The website Gruit Ale has several recipes involving the basic gruit ingredients - marsh rosemary, bog myrtle, yarrow - all seeming to involve similar quantities of herbs:

Here's the last linked recipe:

INGREDIENTS & METHOD

Ingredients
  • 1 gallon water
  • 1 2/4 pounds pale malt
  • 1 1/2 pounds CaraPils (or crystal malt)
  • 1 1/2 grams Bog myrtle
  • 1 1/2 grams Wild rosemary
  • 1 1/2 grams Yarrow

Method

• Heat water to 170 degrees, pour onto malted grains
    enough water to make stiff mash. Let stand, covered,
    for three hours.
  • Sparge slowly with 170 degree water until one gallon
    total liquid is acquired. Boil wort and herbs for 1 1/2 hours.
  • Cool to 70 degrees F and strain.
    Pour into fermenter and add yeast.
    Ferment until completion.
    Prime bottles, siphon and cap.
    Store four months before drinking.
The recipe comes from Stephen Harrod Buhner's book on herbal brewing, which he got from brewer John Harrison.
Thoughts:

- The herb quantities seem *very* small, even for a small 5 L batch. Presumably they have a combined effect on the flavour of the brew but even so it doesn't seem like much.

- I'm not at all sure about the worth of boiling all the herbs or even any of the herbs - perhaps it will suffice to add them all at the end of the boil as a kind of tea? With further additions during fermentation to maximise floral/aromatic smell?

- In my experience, early brewing herbs don't do nearly so much masking as hops do, so sour yeast-created acids can become much more dominant in a herbal brew. For this reason, it might be an idea to maximise bitterness in the brew somehow - perhaps by adding more bog myrtle (it has a kind of aromatic tanniny bitterness) or perhaps by adding a fourth herb: mugwort perhaps.

My aims for my brew? First up I'd go for a mid-strength easy-drinking ale that is somewhere between a pale and a brown. I don't imagine the delicate plant flavours would go brilliantly well with a dark beer - and brown ale is arguably more traditional*. I'm especially interested in getting plenty of delicate floral aromas, so I'll probably add a lot in during fermentation. And I want the contributions of each herb to be noticeable but complementary to the rest of the ale - so, a nice maltiness and an interesting munchy herbal quality to the drink - with a strong bitterness to hold the whole thing up. So I'll probably modify this recipe in that direction.

Well, that's the plan anyway. I'll keep tinkering away and doing research - so I'm not going to brew this straightaway.

Thoughts and comments and suggestions and links to good gruit recipes welcome!

*Though maybe we shouldn't argue about it now.**
**Arr, who am I kidding. Argue away.

Lack of hops won't matter too much. Once you've brewed your brew and got it sealed up nothing else can get in. For a higher alcohol gruit - one of those recipes is linked above - the alcohol itself will be a powerful preservative.

But I'm thinking it will be best for drinking fairly fresh: because, for one thing, some of the herb flavours and smells may fade over time. For another, many of the traditional gruits must have been drunk mid-fermentation: ie, brewed by mum at home, drank over breakfast one or two mornings after.

But, I think the standard 'beer will keep improving over 5 weeks' rule is a good one.

I am really interested as to how it turns out, my reading is that it was made in small batches as it wouldn't keep but we are going back 600 years ago, don't know how true it is but the English were slow to take up the hops option the CAMRA of the day refused to accept hops in ale and was backed up by Henry VIII, not sure if anyone lost their head over the use of hops though.
Another interesting observation is the Romans in Britain used to force the hops and eat them like asparagus

Heh.

A rant against gruit, "beer's most evil style"

Some posts like this are informative.

I'm not sure whether I believe that marsh rosemary was usually not used in combination with myrica gale as they didn't grow in the same parts of the world (as if people didn't, y'know, trade stuff!). Though it does suggest that marsh rosemary may not be necessary.

I may use honey in the brew as it has some preservative qualities.

Bump for the perspicacious Monday readers! And here's a link to another helpful gruit recipe, this time with some very informative comments.

Another thought I had today was to use a certain quantity of ginger and galangal in the recipe, as they will add a certain firey spiciness to the brew that will help to counteract any sourness - and their flavour seems like a good complement to the floral/herbal flavours of the traditional gruit recipe.

Yeah I know - that's where the linked recipe above came from. As Buhner notes (and I do above) he sourced the recipe from brewer John Harrison. Good book!

Nice! I have been thinking about brewing a gruit since I got back from Europe and went to Ghent which is home to Gentse Gruut. They only brew gruit beers and have a Blonde, Wheat, Amber, Brown and Inferno. I tasted the blonde and amber and have bottles of the Wheat and Inferno still to try.

I've got a gruit sitting on the bench settling down, waiting to be bottled, probably tomorrow morning.

In the end I didn't follow any of those recipes provided in detail, and for convenience sake I added a good deal more gruit herbs than outlined in any of those recipes (ie, it was easier to dump the whole packet in).

My brew went down from about 1.060 to 1.023 and I doubt it's going to go down much further. (I'll test the gravity again tomorrow morning before bottling). The taste of the herbs is not overwhelming - I get a little sweetness and a little sourness from the fermented malt, with some light intriguing floral smells from the yarrow flowers. A little honey was added during primary ferment which I believe has given it some more sweetness and added to some of the floral notes.

The taste is nice and herbal, with a strong bitter backbone from the mugwort, and a lighter, wilder note from the marsh rosemary, bog myrtle and yarrow.

Though I wasn't planning for this to happen, a wild yeast decided to do the fermenting job for me. :)

Only downside so far is the wild yeast did a good job quickly and while I was letting it clean up in the last few days it's possible a bacteria has moved in. I've shaken the whole thing up and hopefully if I bottle tomorrow yeast will be able to move in again during the secondary ferment. If not I've got a nice little still ale.

Interesting.

Tim, can one purchase these herbs through a local nursery or, as I suspect, are they rare and difficult to source?

Klangers, it depends from herb to herb.

Mugwort is fairly easy to find, a commonly grown plant and a relative of the even-more common wormwood (which can also be used in brewing - Mugwort tastes nicer, though.) Dried mugwort is sold at many herbalists.

Yarrow is also quite common. It's a pretty flower and a lawn substitute that will often grow quite prolifically in your garden. Also often sold at herbalists (though for best results you'll want to chuck the flowers in - and that's usually not found at herbalists).

Marsh rosemary is probably the hardest to find. I got some from an overseas supplier on Tealyra. It may be sold as 'Labrador tea', or 'marsh rosemary'.

Bog Myrtle is sold at Bogmyrtle.com, a Scottish supplier. It's a very nice plant that you might also be able to find sold at herbalists, under several names - 'bog myrtle', 'sweet gale', 'bayberry' or 'myrica gale'.

I suspect marsh rosemary and bog myrtle don't grow well in Australian conditions - I haven't seen them in any plant nursery websites.

For other folks planning on brewing a gruit I would just say - expect tartness; absent a strong hot bitter flavour such as you get from hops, many of the natural fermented flavours will be much more prominent and seem much more extreme. So, expect tart/sour and design your recipes accordingly. Mine is basically a pale (so there won't be any added acidity from the chocolate malts - which is usually too overwhelming for modern palates) and I hope the relatively large quantities of herbs I added during the boil (especially mugwort) will give it some bitter backbone.

If I was doing a brown or a black gruit I'd probably structure it around a stronger herb - the strongly bitter gentian, for instance, or horehound.

Hmmmm. The mention of wormwood pricked my ears up - Absinthe Ale anyone?

I fear wormwood. I made one beer with it and it was undrinkable - the flavour is so strong. But it is a good bitter for that reason; you probably only need a slight sprinkle to get that peculiar essence. Mugwort is a better herb; it has much more pleasant, tea-like flavours that are more prominent than the typical Artemisia bitterness (which it also has).

There seem to be a few herbs that change the quality of a whole brew and take charge of it, as it were. Hops are one. Wormwood is another. Horehound is a third. Gentian, a fourth.

So I'm not saying don't do it - just be very careful - very effing careful indeed.

Latest posts

Back