Pale Ale Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nizmoose

Reaction score
Okay so Im about to put down my first pale ale recipe and i think i have it pretty much down pat except for hops and dex quantities

here it is:
1x Coopers Pale Ale can
1kg Dex
Possibly centennial and armarillo hop combo? idk say 20g of each, one at 20 mins and one at 10?

From reading another thread I'm interested in trying the Cen/Arm hop combo as it sounds like a flavour and aroma I like. I don'e really need to add a bittering addition early on as according to IanH's spreadsheet I have a good IBU without those early additions and Im not a hoppy man myself. My main questions involve the dex. First of all is no maltodex and no DME okay? Can I do a boil with just dissolved dex? Should I maybe go 500g dex and 500g LDME instead and boil the LDME?

I think you will get a better result with 750g malt and 250-350 dex.

Access to any other yeast besides the kit one? Temp control?

I have always added some LDME to my kits pimpings
I would think 500 dex, 500 LDMe and 200 Multo would work well -
Not sure of your combined hops- maybe choose one, and then next time try the other and see what works out best?

I agree with the yeast comment- US05 was great for me. No more Coopers yeast from now on

And definite for the temp control- best improvement I have ever done

Yeah no temp control and no yeast unfortunately as brewcraft and every other hbs is closed today, this is just a batch I'm doing because I really want to put one down as I'm away for uni in between the public holidays, I still have a very basic set up and for any temp control I'm thinking if trying out a water bath for the fermenter?

Okay all good, one thing I was wondering about is priming sugar. I have a batch that has been bottled now for a month and it just isn't carbonated enough, I did this batch with a friend and all seemed well and from memory we used the right amount of sugar (not 100% sure but a half teaspoon measure per 330ml rings a bell) and its fizzy enough when poured but there is no head whatsoever and the bubbles disappear leaving a flat beer extremely quickly. We used a priming sugar (cant remember brand) designed specifically for beer brewing. Any ideas there? The only thing I can think of is I'm being impatient haha. For this batch I want to use either dex or LDME to prime. What is better? I want the beer to be decently carbed with a nice but not massive head. Oh and btw I changed the recipe and now have to wait a while to start as I've realised I want to steep some grain for this pale haha :(

The recipe is now
-Coopers PA Tin
-200g Light Crystal Malt Steeped for 30 minutes
-500g LDME
-350g Dextrose
-20g Cascade boiled @ 5 minutes

Open to suggestions on hop addition time :)

Back