How to make a midstrength?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manson81

Reaction score
I'm happy making and drinking my full strength pale ales, and can drink them all day long. My missus on the other hand, can't! And to be honest, prefers me not to drink full strength all day too hahaha.

Anyway, was toying with the idea of making a middie pale ale. I do full extract now, and been playing around in ianh spreadsheet. Obviously if I only use 2kg of LDME (or 1kg LDME and 1kg wheat DME) the I'll get a mid strength, but what effect will it have on the flavour? Will it have a watery mouthfeel? Will I have to drop the hop quantities?

Any input is welcomed!

Thanks fellas.

I make 2.6~2.8% all the time. Add in some Carapils or similar for a creamier head and a hint caramel flavour. About 350 grms is good. I add maybe 15 grm extra hops for more flavour on my low % beers just because I like it that way mostly dry hopping that extra amount. There are quite a few different steeping grains designed to help low % beers. Check them out however carapils seems a good all rounder for me in lagers and pale ales.

Use temp control is a must and good yeast of course. I found crappy yeast shines through low % beers.

drink beer, piss in a XXXX Gold or Carlton mid bottle.
Chill bottle.

That's exactly how the big breweries do it, except they hire people to do the pissing for them.

Apparently this is how Mexican cerveza is made also except you piss in a Corona bottle.

So there you go, 2 recipes for the price of one.

:beerbang:

Brew a mild. Beautiful full flavoured mid strength ale.

Yeah a good yeast and temp control definitely aren't an issue. Normally I steep crystal 60 or caramunich, but will definitely try some carapills and check out what others are good for mids.

When I make my mild, I mash short and high to get dextrins bouying up the body. I also use a variety of malts so it is never flavourless or watery.

Therefore, for an extract the suggestion of steeped carapils is a good one. I'd also add in some Briess Victory malt which can be steeped (not all lightly toasted malts can be) and also consider using something like Briess munich malt extract to add in an extra something.

I like the idea of the mild but if you're into pales, I know QLDKev often brews mid-apas so he might have some suggestions. He's full mash but you can convert/translate some ideas and ingredients.

Try some caramunich and a touch of choc. Anywhere from 50-150g depending on how dark you're willing to go. Or just use the caramunich and carapils for a pale coloured mid strength.

manticle said:
When I make my mild, I mash short and high to get dextrins bouying up the body.
do you have a mash time/temp example you could post manticle? just as i'd like to try and make a mid-strength pale ale or mild myself (I biab)

70 degrees for 60 minutes, then go for a mashout - don't let it fall or you can drop into Beta Amylase territory and undo your good work. Less time often required if you get some iodine and do an iodine test, you can do it in about 50 minutes. Fullers, apparently, mash their first runnings that get used in ESB and London Pride at 69 for 50 minutes.

If you weigh up a grain bill as if you are doing a 4.5% ABV brew but then mash at over 70 you will usually end up with a sub-four percent brew that will attenuate at around 1020 or higher.

There isn't a calculator, it's just so complex, so you just need to try it and see.

I go 70 but only for 30 mins. Alpha amylase works quickly and you want to reduce the time beta has to work (which will still work at that temp - just not optimised but given time, it will cut those dextrins up)

Good point Manticle, AA works like greased lightning in a cereal mash. One minute the grain is a thick porridge, twenty seconds later it's a thin soup.

I have made quite a few milds and APA mids with this mash schedule. Absolutely love it. I have also made some 3.5% ABVs with a single infusion at 65 degrees for 60 mins. Definitely a thinner mouthfeel but still very drinkable. Just depends on what you are after.

Definatly would mash at 68+ and remember to keep your bu:sg the same as for a good ale

manticle said:
I go 70 but only for 30 mins. Alpha amylase works quickly and you want to reduce the time beta has to work (which will still work at that temp - just not optimised but given time, it will cut those dextrins up)
According to that table from The ULTIMATE ALMANAC of WORLD BEER RECIPES that's been posted up here a few times, beta-amylase is denatured at 70°C. Alpha-amylase is at its peak at 72°C. In theory if you wanted mostly (or only) alpha to do the conversion, could you aim for 72, and if the temp slips back down, no biggie as beta's met its maker anyway? Would depend on how long the denaturing takes, though?

Ducatiboy stu said:
Definatly would mash at 68+ and remember to keep your bu:sg the same as for a good ale
+1

I make heaps of 3.8% APAs like this

Generally pils or ale 80%, munich or vienna 15%, light dark or med xtal 5%

2-3 random american hops, mostly late and dry hopped.

Great for summer or guests who have to drive, or for drinking from 11am with less guilt.

edit: Just realised op is extract brewing and have barely answered the question, along with half the other posters in this thread!

squirt in the turns said:
According to that table from The ULTIMATE ALMANAC of WORLD BEER RECIPES that's been posted up here a few times, beta-amylase is denatured at 70°C. Alpha-amylase is at its peak at 72°C. In theory if you wanted mostly (or only) alpha to do the conversion, could you aim for 72, and if the temp slips back down, no biggie as beta's met its maker anyway? Would depend on how long the denaturing takes, though?

As you suggest, the denaturing isn't instant.

As I posted in another thread just now - beta is rapidly destroyed at 75, alpha at 80. This is according to de Clerck.

Dont want to be a whingy bitch but this is in the kit and extract section and well it would be nice if some one would awnser the question.......
Could you use less malt say 2 instead of 3 kg and add maltodextrin to add body but not %? The spread sheet says that 2kg of DME and .5kg maltodextrin would give you a % of 3.7 and a FG of 1015 which is pretty good body?

I havent done it myself but would be interested in the awnser.

Back