How to get mates to pay

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I probably worded the title wrong, I am not expecting payment but some people just take the piss (pun intended) and I wanted to get an idea of whether people charge for their beers or not.

I have invited some blokes around for a brew day and they are usually the ones that will chip in a 10er for a session.

I don't want to work out how much it is per schooner and start charging accordingly, I just want people to throw in a few bucks when we are standing around having half a dozen beers. Just a little contribution to say thanks. Some mates have thrown in for a batch just to come and have a few but it is the ones that don't even consider time/costs that bug me. I'm torn, on one hand I think "its only a few bucks" but then on the other hand I would never go empty handed to any ones place.

I don't want to drink by myself but I also don't just want to shout those guys every time they come around! I think I'll put a subtle sticker on the coin tin like "a dollar a schooner will fill the keg sooner" or something like that.

Person decision I suppose,

but NO I would never ask for money (technically against liquor licensing anyway) donation or anything alike for my home brew. I find it one of the best thing about being a home brewer is being able to share your beers with friends. We can only drink so much but with friends helping us means I can turn over kegs quickly and brew more often. I brew to make better beer, not cheaper and therefore don't get too concerned on price, only on the quality.

Although they may be drinking the beer you paid to brew, you are not spending money on taxi's, going out or buying beers, so therefore you are really saving money, and you also have the enjoyment of not even having to leave the house for a night of good friends and entertainment.

Friends help each other out and you might be paying for the beer now but I'm sure they would be more willing to help out when needed with there own areas of expertise.

But If you are really that worried about the cost of brews that your mates are drinking then maybe you might want to consider brewing cheaper more sessional beers for them made out of cheaper grains like Joe white, don't go nuts on the hops and maybe cheaper yeasts like us05.

thats a good point yummy, the taxi ride for me to go into the city would be equivalent to a full keg (without considering my time) so I am actually saving money by having mates around.

The money isn't the reason I brew anyway, as you say it is the hobby aspect that most people would brew for. I just hate feeling like I am being taken for a ride, it's probably related to the fact I work in I.T and I had to actually tell people I won't look at their computers any more because I was working an extra hour or two a day for nothing. Anyway that's off topic, I'll loosen the sphincter a bit and put up a little sign on the coin jar

Moad said:
it is the ones that don't...[insert scabby/tight-arsey thing]...that bug me. I'm torn, on one hand I think "its only a few bucks" but then on the other hand I would never go empty handed to any ones place.
Yeah. I've got this mate (and he is a mate) who just won't put his hand in his pocket for anything. Lost count of the beers (entire sessions) he owes me (Deja Vu beers, at that).

Like many others, I do find the idea of charging mates for beers in my house distasteful (not yours or anyone else's - your situation is your deal) but I do know what you mean. It is bullshit that anyone's mate takes advantage of them but that's how people are. Maybe talk to them? Explain how it actually costs a bit to make the beer and ask them to bring food or whatever?

I dunno. My mates generally don't like beer that tastes like it is made from beer ingredients so I guess it is pretty easy for me to offer advice from the sidelines.

I operate on a strict 'cash up front, no kissing' policy.

Really though, My friends usually bring something, wine, dessert - and if they don't there's probably a reason so I don't care. If I had people over every weekend, drinking all my beer without any kind of reciprocation, I'd probably question the friendship a bit.

To the OP, what if you lost the ability to brew?

S6E1-Bart-Of-Darkness-the-simpsons-3834491-720-576.jpg

with my charcoal smoker hopefully being christened next weekend, I've let my mates know that if we want to do huge chunks of pork or beef, that everyone will have to chip in a couple of bucks to buy the meat (usually it's byo meat for parties at my house)
But with beer I don't charge anything, mates have paid for the ingredients for me to make them beers however
I have a mate that does spirits and doesn't ask for anything out of us (unless we want a full bottle to take home), so I see it as a return for drinking my beer

Liam_snorkel said:
To the OP, what if you lost the ability to brew?
You have a brilliant memory for Simpsons moments my friend, I'd forgotten about that completely. Until OP loses his ability to brew, I hope his situation is more like this:

gsB6a.jpg

In Australia, I don't really have a bunch of lad mates to drink with, it's something I really miss about being back in Scotland. As it stands now, my beer sort of gets 'sniped' since a mate will pop by and we'll have a beer. It would be really awkward asking them for money if I did that. Big gatherings are rare, and when they do happen I'm always glad because it empties out my bottles so I can brew some more.

But really, it's my hobby, I'd feel weird if somebody paid me for my beer in my house. The only time I feel like making somebody pay is when it's one of my girlfriend's mates and I don't like em, but then I just give them one from my "vintage collection" AKA Coopers Draught Kit fermented a little hot.

*wants to post Hommer Simpson Stonecutters image but doesn't want to get banned*

("Hommer" is not a typo)

Back when i was giving away a lot of bottles of 'home brew' one of my good mates made a money box out of a 5l tooheys keg with a little metal sign on it saying 'Pun'kin's Barrel Fund' . It used to sit near the back door and people used to put notes in it if they felt like it and when i needed to buy a new barrel for ageing i would empty it and put the cash towards the barrel.

I've never charged mates for beer and i have a lot of mates that i don't visit (cause i'm slack AND ignorant) but who use my place to catch up.

The lucky thing is that i drink waaaay more beer than any of my mates, so the dent in the production is not really noticed.

I can understand the OP's situation though, good mates, but round all the time. I'd be putting a money box out and making an announcement that any donations would be used to make the beer that they were drinking.
I would never charge a set amount per beer or an all you can drink price. If someone invited me to a melbourne cup day at their house and said bring money i'd tell them to keep there hospitality. Bring a plate, sure.

Moad, whatever you're comfortable with in this regard is acceptable. I don't think your proposed sticker will scare anyone away. I have never received payment for my beer. I couldn't imagine anyone paying for the sub-standard rubbish I brew anyway.

Reading the mooching mates stories in this thread reminded me of 2 work colleagues. Guy1 invites Guy2(and his wife and several children) to Sunday lunch. On the way there, Guy2 is stopped by the police and issued with a fine for speeding. For the next month, Guy2 argued that Guy1 should pay the speeding fine because if he didn't invite him to lunch, the speeding fine wouldn't have happened.

goomboogo said:
Guy1 invites Guy2(and his wife and several children) to Sunday lunch. On the way there, Guy2 is stopped by the police and issued with a fine for speeding. For the next month, Guy2 argued that Guy1 should pay the speeding fine because if he didn't invite him to lunch, the speeding fine wouldn't have happened.
I had a similar scenario when I paid a mate to drop me off at a case swap. Gave him $50 for a round trip. He only hinted to ask for more a week or two later when he told me he got two speeding fines in the same intersection. I kindly told him that I was greatful for the trip and gave him enough money for a tank of fuel and that I didnt ask him to speed. He let it go pretty quick cause he drinks my ales whenever he is over and now realises that case swaps are important in developing my home brewing skills.

I just ask that people have the same courtesy as if there was no homebrew involved.

I.e. if I went to a mates house to drink beer or have dinner, I'd bring something with me - as a gift to the host. It might be a 6'er and a bottle of wine, for instance.

If you don't, you're rude and a tight arse.

Put on a day long working bee at your place preceding the drinks session, find out who your real mates are. I'm in the never charge camp but agree good hospitality can be taken advantage of and should have limits.

Cocko said:
IF it is a celebration, say my birthday - then, I go the road of, all the beer you can drink my pleasure etc.. this is for me, so easy.
You celebrate birthdays?

Back