Homebrewing has ruined popcorn!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulyman

Reaction score
The wife and I sat down this evening to catch up on some Rv shows with a bowl of ALDI buttered popcorn . I couldn't finish it! All I could smell and taste was diacetyl.

Has anyone else experienced this since starting Homebrewing and learning to associate the smell and taste as a bad thing?

manticle said:
Pop your own corn and add real butter.
Yeah might have to do that.

One or two of my beers has smelt like this popcorn at some point in its life and I have unfortunately had a few commercials that taste and smell just like this. Which is my point, I am obviously now tuned into it and associate it with something being wrong.

I cant even understand the butter/diacetyl connection. That packet stuff is inedible in my opinion.
Call me a buttered popcorn snob. It can only be the real ingredients. Its as fast as the microwave crud anyway and 1000 times better.
Olive oil, salt, popping corn. When popped a chunk off butter slid down the side of the pot and spin shaken.

Then you could get more advanced with additions of garlic, chilli, or just cracked pepper can be delicious.

paulyman said:
The wife and I sat down this evening to catch up on some Rv shows with a bowl of ALDI buttered popcorn . I couldn't finish it! All I could smell and taste was diacetyl.

Has anyone else experienced this since starting Homebrewing and learning to associate the smell and taste as a bad thing?
I think its safe to say that Home Brewing has enlightened you to the negatives of Diacetyl.
I would incline that Diacetyl would taste better in beer than in popcorn. Given that I am a fan of both ha.

Latest posts

Back