Help On Melbourne For A Nsw Boy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sponge

Dungeon O' Sponge Brewery
Reaction score
Hey all

Well ive been informed that we're entering a team to go into the unigames this year, which are, as you may have been able to guess, in melbourne

I wouldnt mind getting some good ideas from some of the locals (CBD area) as to good places to go out

If possible, information on both pubs with nice beers (seeing as though i cant play the sport with my knee reco i might be able to indulge in a few nice beers during the day while everyone else is at sport) and also places to go out at night for some clubbing and really proving that white man cant dance?

Also, any information on where to stay for as cheap as possible would be great (we have roughly 8-10 people in our group)

Cheers for this,

Sponge

Check out "Cookie" bar.... they have a fantastic beer list and is right next to china town if you want something cheap to eat.

Clubs: Check out "Trader Bar"....its a little hard to find but rather cool, it works like a stock exchange where the price of drinks vary during the night due to demand.

"The Melbourne Supper Club" - Again a little big hard to find but worth it for the wine list. This place is a nocturnal haunt for wine buffs.... unfortunately this can also bring with it a bundle of tossers :(

cheers for those

seems like no matter where ill go ill be paying sum good dough for good beers... i really shouldve known that before i asked ;)

in terms of what music i like... i like everything, literally

if its live music ill listen to it. so yea, any good music bars would also be good

I was mainly asking about nightclubs for when we go out on a few of the nights, keeping in mind that it will be during the week...

Cheers again, Sponge

ok live bands i have really not much idea on. Try thr corner hotel in Richmond (10 mins from the city) they usually have bands on.

Clubs can be hard through the week. Not much on Mon - Wed. Thurs night i suggest you hit The Lounge on swanston street - breaks, electro, hip hop etc. If you get sick of the tunes upstairs just cruise down stairs and relax with a nice brew. Cookie across the road also fires up on a thurs night. Fri - Sun theres loads of places to choose from - take your pick.

Mrs Parmas - for quality grilled parmas and all of their beer on tap is Victorian Microbrewed (Top end of Lt. Bourke St aka chinatown) between Spring and Exhibition ST's
www.mrsparmas.com.au

The Croft Institute - 21-25 Croft Alley (off Lt. Bourke St) - place is setup like a labratory with intresting designs on all 3 levels. Drinks are moderatly priced, havnt been there in a while thou.
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/10/...4988455199.html

and finally the old faithful .

James Squire Brewhouse/Portland Hotel Russell St CBD (b/w Lt. Collins and Bourke St) Always 3 house beers on tap brewed on site (portland pale seems permanent), with the rest of the james squire line available . Great place also for a quick cheap 'counter' meal during quiet times or you can take a walk nextdoor for a sitdown equivilant @ the Portland hotel. Dont forget its also great place to chill out and watch the footy if youre into that (and i dont mean NRL).

Cheers! :icon_cheers:

^^^ Croft institute is wicked on a fro / sat night. old mate Cammo plays hip hop, dubstep and jungle there still i think.

Hey,

If you get a chance check out the Mountain Goat Brewery in Richmond, you'l have a great night there! Its easy to get to by public transport, just give them a call or check on line to ensure its open first.

Cheers,

For live music your best bet is Brunswick St, Fitzroy.

You have The Evelyn Hotel with regular gigs on there of a good standard, Bar Open also has live music, The Night Cat just off Brunswick St, The Cape Live, lots of options. Just catch a short tram ride up Collins St to Brunswick St and when you get to around Johnston st get off the tram, have a walk and you'll find loads of options to drink, eat and stuff to see. The place buzzes on a Friday or Sat night, but Thursdays aren't bad either. Many of the places are open late even early in the week.

A second option for Live Music is Fitzroy St, St Kilda.

You have two live music institutions there - The Prince of Wales Hotel, and the Esplanade Hotel or the 'Espy' as most here refer to it.
Plenty of stuff on there constantly.

Hopper.

Back