green funk on my yeast cake

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearg

Reaction score
Howdy, I've just ventured into homebrew via the coopers kit from bigw. My first brew was the included stocko coopers lager - using a us-05 yeast at 18 degrees in my vintec "beer brewing" fridge. It's going ok - one week after bottling, a bit cidery - could be the brew enhancer 1? The second I had was pretty good at 2 weeks. The third at 2 weeks was also cidery. I'll give it another month in the bottle before judging.

My second brew was a coopers pale ale, brew enhancer 2, us-05 yeast at 18 degrees. I ferment in the coopers vat for 2 weeks then bottle straight from it. Seemed ok to taste when bottling. Got greedy so a few of my pint bottles are cloudy. I'm looking into a secondary fermenter, but as I rollout back to back brews I can't refrigerate it.

Third brew - got fancy. Boiled up 500gm coopers DLME + 20g Tatinger hops. Put it with the kit Coopers Mexican Cerveza with a S23 yeast at 13 degrees. Ok it's not fancy, but it was pushing my limits atm. Thing is, it's got a bit of an odor - a little bit of bad egg fart. Not much - I've had much worse after an Indian curry. Also there is a lot of green in the white/brown yeast cake. Is this just the hops I've added in? I'm not about to abort, but being new to this I'm super paranoid about infection. I'll attach a photo if I can. I may have dropped the lid of the kit brew into the fermenter...

Green = hops
egg = hydrogen sulfide, often produced by yeasts, especially lager yeasts.

Ferment out, condition (look up diacetyl rest), lager, be patient and all will be well.

I forgot to mention - first brew was primed with the coopers carbonation drops... then the ants got to 'em

2nd brew was primed with 1/2 teaspoon of white sugar - I'm bottling in the little creatures 565ml pint bottles btw.

Also the the 3rd brew had a full packet of BE2 added after the boil... should be 5.5%? OG: 46 but my last 2 only dropped to a FG of 10 and started out at 36 and 39 respectively.

I'm struggling to bring that initial temp down before I add the yeast (even with bottles of cold water prepped + ice) and don't want to leave it too long... don't seem to have killed a yeast yet though

Last batch i put in the brew fridge for a few hours before adding the yeast, seeing as it's a lager, time will tell I guess...

What sort of volume are you boiling? Should be pretty simple to bring down a few litres in an ice bath in less than 30 minutes

For cooling, boil a couple of litres of water and put it into a 2l ice-cream container and in your freezer. Add that post boil and it'll knock your temps down in no time.

Back