Gravity Readings!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamstringsally

Reaction score
recently just put down a few brews and bottled them. one was a belgian style and the other was a ale. i bought a new hydrometer and both beers came out for FG at 1.000 is my hydrometer possibly faulty or is is normal or has something caused this. normally all my readings finish at around 1.010 but that was with my old hydrometer and were not all grain brews either.

cheers

recently just put down a few brews and bottled them. one was a belgian style and the other was a ale. i bought a new hydrometer and both beers came out for FG at 1.000 is my hydrometer possibly faulty or is is normal or has something caused this. normally all my readings finish at around 1.010 but that was with my old hydrometer and were not all grain brews either.

cheers

Sounds a bit suss... You haven't moved to a space station by any chance? :blink:

1.000 is low (pure water) can you compare with another, test with water?

if its a thin beer with huge alc its possible, however it sounds dodgy

Lets assume you have done the obvious and checked that the hydrometer reads 1.000 in water, which if it isnt you know the answer.

Second step is to check the temperature you are mashing at (I think these are mash beers we are talking about) its quite possible to hit 1.000 or even lower with an AG beer if you mash long and cool enough.

Another possibility is that you have a nice little wild yeast infection that really rips through the sugars, but I suspect the taste and smell of the beer would give you some clues if that was the case.

I suppose the message is you must calibrate all your equipment before you use it

MHB

Latest posts

Back