Grain Mill Motor

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey peels... Looks like I'm 30rpm over my estimation. I'll have to get my mill speedo recalibrated! :lol:

Warren -

Thanks Peels. That leaves me with 2 projects on the go - chest freezer collar construction and mill motorisation. Bring it on.

Hey peels... Looks like I'm 30rpm over my estimation. I'll have to get my mill speedo recalibrated! :lol:

Warren -
180!!!!!!!! Are you mad. Dont you know the speed limit is 150 around here? The crushing cops will be onto you :lol:

180!!!!!!!! Are you mad. Dont you know the speed limit is 150 around here? The crushing cops will be onto you :lol:

Damn! Looks 3 months of suspended brewing. :beerbang:

Warren -

:lol: :lol:

Warren -

can anyone tell me,in this thread windscreen motors are mentioned as a mill motor how would/do make the motor revolve in one direction.is it the way you wire it up only.
thinking of using one as it is near on impossible to find a pulley with 12mm bore to suit my millmaster.
cheers...spog......

Does anyone know if this motor at Jaycar will have enough torque to drive a barley crusher grain Mill?

Jaycar
Also found a spider coupler their for about 10 bucks

Cheers
JJ

Hi JJ, I think it is all to do with the gearing. I have a Schmidling maltmill and I attached my fairly powerful 18V cordless to the shaft: hopeless, stalled instantly. SO then I attached a 600W cheap Chinese drill (240V) with electronic speed control. Hopeless on all settings. Then I tried my trusty old Hitachi drill, big and heavy, it says 670W, 240V, and has hi/low gearbox. I haven't used hi, but on low, a dream, perfect.

It sure takes a lot of torque.

Hope this helps.

Peter

can anyone tell me,in this thread windscreen motors are mentioned as a mill motor how would/do make the motor revolve in one direction.is it the way you wire it up only.
thinking of using one as it is near on impossible to find a pulley with 12mm bore to suit my millmaster.
cheers...spog......

Hi Spog

Yep - reverse the wires and runs the other way. I have a switch on mine so I can run it backwards or forwards in case something jams in the rollers.

Cheers
Pedro

After a lot of reading i found this post re- motors for the mill - mine is a barley crusher.

I went to get a XF window motor however it was raining and they looked hard to get out of the car( the yard was shutting so i missed out). Lazer's had a motor that was very easy to get at (3 bolts)

Are most car motors similar or is XF used because its much better? (bigger) and basicly the same speed? I would like 150RPM and sounds like the XF is 70 odd RPM - all motors where the same price $25. Otherwise should i try get something like a AU motor because its newer?

I will try get to the yard again this weekend and score a motor to try and rig up the mill

could use an old washing machine motor.

i dont have an old machine sadly and i thought the idea of a 1:1 ratio on the mill will make it easy to set up rather than belts and cams etc

Without me going through the forum, what is the recommended rpm for the millmaster? I have a valley mill which recommends no faster than 300rpm.

BYB

After a lot of reading i found this post re- motors for the mill - mine is a barley crusher.

I went to get a XF window motor however it was raining and they looked hard to get out of the car( the yard was shutting so i missed out). Lazer's had a motor that was very easy to get at (3 bolts)

Are most car motors similar or is XF used because its much better? (bigger) and basicly the same speed? I would like 150RPM and sounds like the XF is 70 odd RPM - all motors where the same price $25. Otherwise should i try get something like a AU motor because its newer?

I will try get to the yard again this weekend and score a motor to try and rig up the mill
Resurrecting an old(ish) thread.

Did any of you guys have success with getting the wiper motor going?

I picked up a motor from a recent Falcon, with 5 terminals in the plug assembly.

Ground is easy to determine, but I can't get the motor to rotate at all, even connecting my can battery to any of the other 4 terminals.

Is it necessary to bridge any of the terminals in order to turn the internal electronics within the motor "On"?

Cheers.

I picked up a motor from a recent Falcon, with 5 terminals in the plug assembly.

Ground is easy to determine, but I can't get the motor to rotate at all, even connecting my can battery to any of the other 4 terminals.

Is it necessary to bridge any of the terminals in order to turn the internal electronics within the motor "On"?

Cheers.

Sure you got yourself a working motor? :p

seriously though, considering they are turned on in a car by applying a 'switch' of sorts, i'd assume you would have to jump a pair.

Cheers.

I got a motor from a mate earlier in the week and found that the earth I was using was not for the motor. If it is anything like mine there are 3 wires from socket to the motor. The centre wire is ground and the outer left and right are positives to high and low speed.

Been running my Marga using a window winder motor for a few years now. Always been meaning to post a pic. Finally went one better and took a small vid:

Bought it from Oatley electronics, (Toyota) and runs from an old PC power supply. Only turns at about 80RPM but works fine. It's a nice grunty little motor.

Been meaning to make a more permanent stand for it but this works pretty well and sets up in a few mins.

Richard

PS - is there a way of embedding a youtube vid ?? Did a search but can't find anything ???

Last edited by a moderator:
Back