Grain Mill Motor

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Camo6 said:
But does your bike's drive train operate at crotch level in the presence of cheap alcohol?
No more dangerous than a belt drive setup.

I will have to re-name my mill " The Mill of Death"

Haha! My finger survived a trip around a belt driven idler pulley. I'd hate to try the same with a chain.
But yeah, just taking the mickey. I don't mind my kids hanging around the mill either. I just made sure they'd signed the SWMS.

Camo6 said:
But does your bike's drive train operate at crotch level in the presence of cheap alcohol?
Baahaa good call. Unfortunatly it does run in the presence of cheap alcohol. I keep it a few meters away from my bar where there also seems to be alot of black ruberised marks on the floor...
Agree chains, gears, pullies, belts, all not the best option. I'm going for a direct drive via flex coupling with a reducted motor.
Wouldn't be to much of a drama to make a gaurd out of some sheet metal and pop rivets, if you had to go that way.

Thank god none of you guys grew up around me when I was young.....pushbikes without helmets, fire works, bush bashers without seat belts or roll cages,swimming in creeks without our parents knowing, slug guns, shangais, VB, dry yeast sprinkled on your wort...leaded petrol...you guys need to man up and experience a bit of danger

OMG! Tots in awe of you brah. Sounds like you livin the Thug Life with all that swag. ;-)

I remember cutting open dad's shotty shells with a hacksaw to make my homemade incendiaries and still have both thumbs and all 7 fingers. They do say that common sense ain't that common.

Just remember, it wasn't the kids of today that implemented all this over caution.

I was lucky, Grew up in South Western NSW on a Farm....Common sense was the norm

Back to mill motors...

What size motor and speed do I actually need for MY mill....?

This is the question that needs to be asked.

Every mill is different with regard to rollers size,knurling,gap, material..etc

You also need a good amount of torque or a nice big fly wheel ( Note:- Big fly wheels where once deemed safe in 1897 )

As for how you achieve the desired speed for your mill is up to you. All I can say is drink outside the square and break it down into what you have laying about...old pushbikes are very handy for this type of thing

Thats nuthin compared to some of the things I convinced people to try.

BTW belt and pulley user.

Those pushbikes dont sound much like fun. We use to ride our motorbikes. :)

...guess i should have refreshed the page before replying.

Not dangerous enough

doublemill.jpg

Double overhead! Now we're talkin.

My home made mill, hopper of perspex and aluminium angle from bunnings, wiper motor driven.Grain Mill 1.jpgmill2.jpgmill1.jpg

Latest posts

Back