Grain Mill Motor

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmyjack

Reaction score
Does anyone know if this motor at Jaycar will have enough torque to drive a barley crusher grain Mill?

Jaycar
Also found a spider coupler their for about 10 bucks

Cheers
JJ

JJ.

Small world. I picked up one of their spider couplers ($15) today to motorise my Marga with a wiper motor. Early testing seems positive. The coupler takes up the "shimmy" effect of a mis-aligned shaft. :beerbang:

As for the DC motor driving the mill? No, I doubt it JJ. You'd be better to go to a car wreckers and source a wiper motor. Far more grunt. :beer: Also at 36 RPM they may be considered a little slow.

When the whole thing's up and running (successfully :unsure: ) I'll post a couple of pics.

Warren -

Nice link Andrew, thanks. :beerbang:

Think I'll bookmark it.

Warren -

I have a 65 watt motor on my mill and the rollers coincidently do 36RPM. It takes me near 15 minutes to crush 5KG of grain and if I dampen the grain, the motor stalls, so I'm right on the edge with the 65 watts. The motor you were looking is 15watts or so which is too gutless.

Ok found a bigger one. What about this one??

Jaycar

I am trying to get away from building a pulley or sprocket system. I suppose a windshied wiper motor will work.

Cheers, JJ

Windscreen wiper motors do work. I have posted about using one to power my barley crusher so do a search and you'll find photos and details. The spider coupling would be the go though to couple the two.

I wouldn't mess with the Jaycar one, I very much doubt it would work.

FWIW I use a battery charger as a power source for mine, but a computer power source could also do the job. Both are cheap. And no pulleys :)

Hi jimmyjack and justin

A wiper motor is very easy to do, no gearbox and a lot less hassle than what it would be to mount the jaycar ones.

Have a look at my Valley Mill I converted about 3 years ago and still going strong.

Valley_Mill_2.JPG

Valley_Mill_3.JPG

Cheers
Pedro

Thanx Pedro and Justin, on the search for wiper motors now. How do you wire them up. Justin you mentioned a car battery charger. Pedro that looks hard wired.

Cheers JJ

jimmyjack said:
Pedro that looks hard wired.
[post="113828"][/post]​

JJ

It is not really hard wired. What I did was use from cable retainers to hold the cable down to the edge of the mill table so it doesn't get in the way and have a plug on the end of that. There is a switch mounted on the mill table as well that gives forward and reverse too.

Cheers
Pedro

Gulf Brewery said:
[gives forward and reverse too.

Cheers
Pedro
[post="113832"][/post]​

Exellent idea!
I'll be doing that,help to free teeth etc from some cheap malt brands.

Batz

OK, I will 'Bite". you found teeth? I found some metal once in some aussie malt, luckily before it hit the rollers.

cheers
Darren

here are come pics of my motorised grain mill.

It is home made...... 10" long 2" dia rollers.

The motor is a 240 v 2 speed motor.

Its rated at 100W on low speed (950 RPM) and 370 W (1500 RPM).

It runs the mill at about 150 RPM on hi speed with the pullys and has no problems cracking 10 KG in under 2 min.

pullys are 1 1/4" amd 12 ".

the low speed setting will run but you have to "kick start" it by hand and it labours so i dont use it. Plus on the higher speed the husks are kept whole but the grain inside seems to come out of the hush a bit more and i get better efficiency so slow speed is not always the best. I told some people in breweries that my mill ran at 150 RPM and they said..... is that all!

I wet my grain with about 150 mls water in 9 to 12 KG and get great cracking results.

cheers

Darren said:
OK, I will 'Bite

[post="113853"][/post]​

Cheers Darren :beerbang: :lol:

No mate, no teeth as yet.
Unless the old Tidalpete dropped his choppers in a bag :huh:

Cheers
Batz

The wiper motoers are a great idea. To diverse a little, about twenty two years ago I built my father a spit or rotisserie for Xmas. The spit was, and still is, driven by a wiper motor driving through a gear box from an old electric drill. The spit has done over 200 beasts and other variations of a theme. so the wiper motor will go for a long time,

To wire up. The wiper motor (or most of them) have 4 electrical connections. One earth or common ground. Two different speed connections and a "park" connection. From memory, the earth or common ground is generally the odd connector out; ie it is vertical and all the rest are horizontal. Knowing this, it is simply connect the blavk from a battery charger to this connection and then, by trial and error, use the red lead to determine what the other connectors do.

Discalimer: Most wiper moters I have seen are somewhat like this, though some of the more modern motoers may not be like this at all. This post is a generalisation.

Steve

Ok since the topic of motors is up, does anyone know how fast a washing machine motor runs. I have one out of an old Hoover which was belt driven. They have nothing written on them.

Cheers

:beer:

Richard

recharge said:
Ok since the topic of motors is up, does anyone know how fast a washing machine motor runs. I have one out of an old Hoover which was belt driven. They have nothing written on them.

[post="113884"][/post]​
All those motors (squirrel cage) run at 1440 RPM.

Tony M said:
recharge said:

[post="113884"][/post]​
All those motors (squirrel cage) run at 1440 RPM.
[post="113908"][/post]​

A lot of washing machine motors are two speed, I have one out of an old hoover front loader in the shed which I am sure has a low speed of about 3-400 rpm. I will check it tomorrow and post back

Thanks for replys.
Sqirrel cage? I guess it could resemble one

cheers

richard

I've got one of these washing machine motors I think - how can I check to see if it's 2 speed or not? is it just written on the plate near where the speed is printed?

If it is 2 speed how do I get it to run at the lower speed? I got the motor from Bankstown Markets & it came already wired up with a lead & wall plug.

Jez

Latest posts

Back