Grain Cracker

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gscurto

Reaction score
Hi All,
I am looking for a good value for money grain crusher, your wisdom and ideas greatly appreciated, cheers Cowboy :D

Have a search on the user "QLDKev" and his posts.

He has a link to his personal website and from memory there is a whole section on his choice and why for a mill.

One of many Well dicussed topics that come up when using

Capture.JPG

the search at the top.

Personally I use a Marga mill, others use monters and crankenstiens etc.. it all depends on what you want to spend and comfotable with building to a large degree...

Happy reading and building ;)

:icon_cheers:

There's some discussion in this thread about how long it takes for a mill to pay for itself. I would advise against buying a "cheap" mill if you're in for the long haul or brewing a lot, as it'll most likely shit itself after a while and you'll have to fork out for another one. The Barley Crusher mill I got with my 2nd-hand setup lasted for a couple of years before it started slipping and adding a lot of frustration to my brewday. I now have one of these, which I would be surprised if I outlived! (the hopper I've got for it might be a different story :ph34r: )

Cheers,
tallie

if you want real cheap mill to start you off for @ $12 use a pasta maker from Kmart

Google "pasta maker mill" for plenty of ideas

it got me into BIAB and mini-bulk buys of grain and i milled about 20kg of grain in mine over time

i now have a mash master mini but

Don't skimp on spending on a "quality" grain mill. You will love it when you get a decent piece of kit. It will repay itself in convenience and ease of use.

I use one of the original MillMaster mills, am delighted with it, but I believe the one linked by tallie is also very popular and excellent from all reports. The best part is the rollers are geared, and you will never experience the frustration of slippage, as I understand occurs with some users of other brands on occasion.

You gets what ya pays fur.

Don't skimp on spending on a "quality" grain mill. You will love it when you get a decent piece of kit. It will repay itself in convenience and ease of use.

I use one of the original MillMaster mills, am delighted with it, but I believe the one linked by tallie is also very popular and excellent from all reports. The best part is the rollers are geared, and you will never experience the frustration of slippage, as I understand occurs with some users of other brands on occasion.

You gets what ya pays fur.
Agreed Warra.
I spent a year milling 200 gram lots of grain in a blender.... It worked fine but was very hard work, ( I needed a few beers to tide me over whilst I milled).

Went online and bought the 2 roller crankenstein from the states. $100 bucks or so, made a hopper out of some old plywood and some screws. Dodgy but effective. And havent looked back. Now I get perfect grain crush (4 or 5 pieces) every time. No hassle. 5 KG of grain in about 3 mins. Less time running too and fro from the grain bag, more time doing important stuff like standin around, talkin shit, sitting or even admiring the beer you have made. I suppose you could do it on the cheap, but for the money, you will have something that will last you forever. Literally, make your life much much easier, and you could easily sell it if you didn't want it any more because like I said, the good ones last for 50 years or so.
Best money I have spent in my build..........

Latest posts

Back