Seeking Advice on Kitchen Remodeling – Need Your Expertise!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starcmr

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm diving into a kitchen remodeling project and could use some seasoned advice. I'm torn between choosing quartz or granite countertops. Both seem like excellent options,

but I'm looking for durability, ease of maintenance, and of course, aesthetic appeal.

Additionally, any tips on cabinet styles that complement a modern kitchen design? I'm aiming for a sleek and functional look. Share your experiences, pitfalls to avoid, and any must-

have features you've incorporated into your kitchen remodel.

Thanks a million for your insights –

your collective wisdom will undoubtedly make this remodeling journey smoother!

Appreciate any help with this. Thanks.

Stainless steel!! You can never have too much stainless in a homebrewery.

I love cooking with gas so when we upgraded our kitchen we went from induction to gas- an amazing improvement as far as I’m concerned. I just use the 9kg swap and go bottles as we’re not in town gas, which negates paying rent on a larger bottle. We have LED strip lighting behind the cabinets over the stove so everything you’re cooking is front lit, not back lit with your shadow in the way. We went with Caesar stone but any stone tops will be great. Deep sinks are great too.

On the negative (first world problems) side, I wish we’d gone with handles on our cabinets instead of push in spring plungers. I find them annoying when you try to close them and they pop open under spring tension, or you get 2 doors out of sinc and one opens when the other one closes

I love cooking with gas so when we upgraded our kitchen we went from induction to gas- an amazing improvement as far as I’m concerned. I just use the 9kg swap and go bottles as we’re not in town gas, which negates paying rent on a larger bottle. We have LED strip lighting behind the cabinets over the stove so everything you’re cooking is front lit, not back lit with your shadow in the way. We went with Caesar stone but any stone tops will be great. Deep sinks are great too.

On the negative (first world problems) side, I wish we’d gone with handles on our cabinets instead of push in spring plungers. I find them annoying when you try to close them and they pop open under spring tension, or you get 2 doors out of sinc and one opens when the other one closes on home remodeling ashburn va
also thank you for your response

Hey all,

I'm diving into a kitchen remodeling project and could use some seasoned advice. I'm torn between choosing quartz or granite countertops. Both seem like excellent options,

but I'm looking for durability, ease of maintenance, and of course, aesthetic appeal.

Additionally, any tips on cabinet styles that complement a modern kitchen design? I'm aiming for a sleek and functional look. Share your experiences, pitfalls to avoid, and any must-

have features you've incorporated into your kitchen remodel.

Thanks a million for your insights –

your collective wisdom will undoubtedly make this remodeling journey smoother!

Appreciate any help with this. Thanks.

Certainly! Let’s dive into your kitchen remodeling project and explore the pros and cons of quartz vs. granite countertops, as well as some modern cabinet styles to achieve that sleek and functional look.

Quartz vs. Granite Countertops​

1. Composition and Appearance:
    • Quartz Countertops: These are engineered stone products made of quartz chips or dust mixed with resins. They offer a more uniform appearance and come in various colors and patterns. Quartz can resemble natural stone or be manufactured in non-stone-like formats.
    • Granite Countertops: These are slabs of quarried natural stone. Each granite slab is unique, with dramatic veining and color variations that cannot be duplicated in quartz. If you want the authentic look of natural stone, granite is the way to go1.
  2. Cost:
  3. Durability and Maintenance:
    • Quartz: It’s a hard, nonporous material, making it easier to maintain. It’s less susceptible to stains and scratches. However, quartz can be scorched by heat.
    • Granite: While more resistant to heat, granite requires sealing to prevent staining. Regular maintenance is essential for both materials12.

Modern Kitchen Cabinet Ideas​

1. Blonde Wood Minimalist:
    • Neutral tones dominate this style. Pair clean white ceilings and counters with light wood cabinets, islands, and floors for an efficient and stylish look.
  2. Two-Tone Theme:
    • Mix cabinet colors! Stark white cabinets above the counters combined with lower cabinets in a cool shade (like olive green) create an elegant contrast. Marble countertops and a bright splashback complete the look.
  3. Strategic Lighting:
    • Ample lighting is crucial. Use spotlights and overhead lights for practical tasks, but also consider mood lighting. Strip lights inside glass-paned cabinets add drama and highlight key features.
  4. Pull-Out Organizers:
    • Custom-built vertical drawers provide accessible storage for smaller utensils. Keep your kitchen organized and clutter-free.
  5. Vertical Vision:
    • Ingenious design with three shelves and eight sliding cabinet doors. Combine ample storage with a display area. Slatted bare wood doors add a touch of rustic to modern interiors.
  6. Kitchen Window Seat:
    • Add charm and functionality by building a window seat next to a window and between kitchen cabinets. It’s a comfortable spot to rest and enjoy natural light.
  7. Glassed-in Pantry:
    • Replace a couple of cabinet doors with glass and install interior lighting. Show off your glassware and dinnerware while protecting them.
  8. White Minimalist:
Remember, your kitchen design should reflect your personal taste and lifestyle. Consider both aesthetics and functionality to create a space that suits your needs. Best of luck with your remodeling journey! 🛠️🏡

No one has mentioned Taps for the kitchen.
Hot, cold and beer!

Surely the perfect kitchen would have 3 fridges,one for food,one for fermentation and one for beer,put the freezer outside or in the lounge,it’s just getting the rest of the house to agree lol

You know the stack of 4 drawers in the kitchen Each one 18-20cm high (though these days the fascia is that height, but the drawer inside is often only 8-10cm high :rolleyes:).
  1. Cutlery
  2. Utensils (always cluttered)
  3. Varies (could be rolls of gladwrap/foil/baking paper; could be shopping bags; could be recipe books; appliance instructions/manuals/warranty cards you fogot to send in)
  4. Random crap
Make it a stack of 6-8 drawers, each one 8-10 cm high.
  1. Cutlery (unless you have an absolute truckload, it will still fit)
  2. Utensils (only one layer -- no more searching for the spatula under the ice cream scoop and the measuring cups)
  3. Utensils (as per drawer 2)
  4. Utensils (as per drawer 2)
  5. Drawer 3 above.
  6. Drawer 4 above.
If you get an 8 drawer stack, you can fill those additional drawers to suit yourself.

Latest posts

Back