Grafton Show Home Brewing Competition 2014

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great pic's Bribie, don't really pay attention to the sites when ya drive around every day.

Great job to Matt, hope we didn't play up to much ;)

Better get some of that Aldi cider up north here sounds like a tasty drop,

I am almost fully recovered from the night and expect to be back to normal by tomorrow. It was a pretty big night and I may have played up just a little.

Fantastic event and here are some highlights (in no particular order):

1. Meeting fellow AHB'ers. Saunous, Ducatiboy, Spork (and Mrs Spork), BrewMatt (and Mrs BrewMatt), that Irish dude + his missus and (briefly) Bribie.
2. Chatting to the professional brewers - particularly Tanya from Beard & Brau. How she resisted my charms is a complete mystery, probably because her hubby was right there I suppose.
3. The feedback. I listened to a post-mortem after an early round and the judges re-inforced the basics that we all should know. There was a high % of beers with faults caused by basic fermentation issues such as temperature control and yeast selection/handling.
3.1 Chatting with the pros after their official duties were done. Basically just shooting the sh!t in a relaxed setting. We don't get too many chances to meet industry types in small country towns. Nice people.
4. Sauerkraut = deliciousness. Should be mandatory at all beer event BBQs.

Lowlights:
1. The night was a bit cool as I was swagging it. i think the organisers should do something about the weather.

In closing, I take back most of the bad things I've said about Grafton. Nice people, nice town and one of the best nights I've had in a while.

(P.S. Seanous, $40 pub room vs $60 cab fare!!!)

Was a good night Linc, apart from swearing fairly loudly infront of the elderly you didnt play up to bad :lol:

Yeh, well I could have been better off again and slept at the folks house which is 2 blocks from where we were. I think the beer, irish cream and other had something to do with my decision.

I dont know how many times I heard you talking to Tanya from Beard & Baau about her photo shoot in some Female Beer Calendar, hilarious. (How do I get this caldendar?)

Again, thanks to the Judges and Thanks to Matt and Ol' Jack for the event.

Lincoln2 said:
3. The feedback. I listened to a post-mortem after an early round and the judges re-inforced the basics that we all should know. There was a high % of beers with faults caused by basic fermentation issues such as temperature control and yeast selection/handling.
Do we get any notes at all about our beers?
I'd like to know if they found faults with mine & what they were so I can concentrate on fixing any issues when brewing that particular beer next time round.
Getting expert advice is great if that's what happens. Even some basic words of advice would be useful.
I only entered one All Grain beer in category 3.

Crusty said:
Do we get any notes at all about our beers?
I'd like to know if they found faults with mine & what they were so I can concentrate on fixing any issues when brewing that particular beer next time round.
Getting expert advice is great if that's what happens. Even some basic words of advice would be useful.
I only entered one All Grain beer in category 3.
Hi Crusty,

Yes. This is the first year that this is happening, and the reason why the event took so long.

Brew Matt said:
Hi Crusty,

Yes. This is the first year that this is happening, and the reason why the event took so long.
Good stuff, i'd happily keep the length of the event long for more detailed judging like this.

Brew Matt said:
Hi Crusty,

Awesome.
At a buck an entry, that's incredible. A big thumbs up to you Matt & everyone else involved. You've done a great job promoting it & I'll be entering again next year armed with more entries this time round.

It was good to meet you all guys, I will certainly be aiming to get there for next year again!

Matt and Jack, and the judges thank you for your time it was great!

Shane

PS- if you want to know what Linc looks like- see below for a close match:

download.jpg

Fukin spot on, Linc the cartoon charactor version of Ron Burghandy :lol:

The extra 'aroma's' is what had me struggling to enter the house via the cat door :huh:

A few people commented on my similarity to Ron; I'm going to accept it in the "ruggedly macho" sense - not the "cliched buffoon" comparison.

Crusty: The feedback I was referring to was general in nature and they did not single out specific beers. I think it is important to get good detailed feedback for your beer and that looks like it has been taken care of. Best of luck.

And yes, the hop aromas stemmed from some serious dry-hopping I believe.

Back at the showground working

Had a talk with the Chief Steward about about sat night....

Her comment was...."I think we should start earlier next year.."

Other than that......she ..um.....didnt say much..

Hey Lincoln, what's the exact name of that E cigarette? Thinking of getting one for a stepdaughter. She gave up H no problems years ago but she can't seem to give up the deadly fags.

Bribie G said:
Hey Lincoln, what's the exact name of that E cigarette? Thinking of getting one for a stepdaughter. She gave up H no problems years ago but she can't seem to give up the deadly fags.
Jesus, hahahahaha.

Fuk it was funny looking back to see 'Ron' chatting up some 60+ year old bird with a beer in one hand and the E-Cigarette in the other. Gold!

Was that the one I didn't proceed with as she had a wedding ring on? Story of my life.

Bribie G said:
Bribie, I'll get some info together and send you a PM in the next day or so. Cheers.

Back