Grafton Show Home Brewing Competition 2014

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sitt'n at the railway station
got a ticket for my destination

Siit'n at the showground waiting for the rain to clear so we can hook up power to the newshep..

Siit'n at the office, trying to get a few moments to visit the Showground and see how many new brews have been entered today. A good selection arrived yesterday!

Also showerbound, then heading down to the bar at Roches around 5 for a middy of Thatchers (quite a nice cider)

I'm English so I don't have to engage in that silly nonsense.

I just got home....and Ilive here....

Oh boy....What a night......Poor old class 1.

Go clan AHB.....we stayed until we could no longer write.....then we stayed longer and drank beer.

sp0rk said:
Did you make it back to the pub ok?
Yeh Bribie, one minute we're sampling Irish creams and the next you've disappeared into thin air.

Ducatiboy stu said:
I just got home....and Ilive here....
Oh boy....What a night......Poor old class 1.
Go clan AHB.....we stayed until we could no longer write.....then we stayed longer and drank beer.
I didn't even try a beer from class 1, probably a good thing. I don't plan on taking this $60 cab ride home to often, jeebus!

How were the beers on offer?
Are the beers sampled by the competitors cold? I know the judged beers are @room temp but I don't enjoy an Ale @20deg +.
Sounds like you guys had a great night.

Those Irish creams did me in so I staggered back to the pub and dreamed about Beer all night. Currently sitting at station after a bracing march over the mighty Clarence and some REAL foodat Maccas Grafton South. Great weekend. Pencilled in for next year and catch up with all next year.
Here's xpt now. Will post tourist shots when I get home. What a lovely wee city.

Crusty said:
How were the beers on offer?
Are the beers sampled by the competitors cold? I know the judged beers are @room temp but I don't enjoy an Ale @20deg +.
Sounds like you guys had a great night.
Judged beers were cooled, i believe
We were tasting from the same bottles as the judges
There was only 1 beer judged warm, due to the cooled bottle breaking when it was opened (crustacean beer...)
It was a great night, thanks again to everyone involved in running it!

It was about 10*c in the Pavillion...so they wher basically "room" temp.

There where some nice beers. About 60 all up.

Team AHB invested in some Coopers go tide us over between classes...

Must say......them outa towners sure made the night fun....

By the end of the night...we where all pissed...including the Judges..

sounds like you lot all had a big night!
i'll see if I can get there next year for sips as well as an entry or two
cheers
ken

Ducatiboy stu said:
Team AHB invested in some Coopers go tide us over between classes...
Yeh, thanks for the pick-up little brother, we needed something to quench the thirst in between tastings :)

I may or may not have been found half mangled through a cat door holding a broom handle trying to break into my house around 2am this morning :)

Was a good night once it got going, great to meet yáll and catch up again with others. Hope you Kyogle boys made it home alright :)

GABBA110360 said:
sounds like you lot all had a big night!
i'll see if I can get there next year for sips as well as an entry or two
cheers
ken
It was big alright, I don't think we finished tasting until midnight, and we didn't even get to the Ciders and Ginger Beers.

shaunous said:
It was big alright, I don't think we finished tasting until midnight, and we didn't even get to the Ciders and Ginger Beers.
Try 1:00 am...

Hic

Home again and into the Aldi Cider.
One of the best AHB get togethers ever, great to put a face to the names and all seriously funny bastards. I'll leave the blackmail shots to Matt, but I took camera for a walk around town.

Like thousands of others Grafton, to me, was just the Maccas stop on the Hwy at South Grafton, the town itself is a really picturesque and historical city. Get thee there for a trip.

I've included a pic of the room, I think it was my room. Great value for $40. Also a shot in the gents urinal, in the old days a lot of men couldn't afford a paper but they could afford a beer, so there's a long tradition of pasting the front pages so you can catch up on the news while you pee. And longest table in the World made from one tree.

Matt did an awesome job of drawing local support, like this flyer in a pub window (The Crown). Great job Matt.

grafton 1.jpg

grafton 2.jpg

grafton 8.jpg

grafton3.jpg

grafton4.jpg

grafton5.jpg

grafton6.jpg

grafton7.jpg

grafton9.jpg

grafton10.jpg

Back