Grafton Show Home Brewing Competition 2014

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ducatiboy stu said:
Article in there about beer fest at Yamba on Anzac weekend
Fcuking sod it.
I literally just drove 9 hours home.
From Yamba..

I think the drive home would have been more enjoyable than getting slugged an entry fee to drink over priced beer...

And Yamba is about exciting as an old peoples home with a coffee shop...

Ducatiboy stu said:
I think the drive home would have been more enjoyable than getting slugged an entry fee to drink over priced beer...
Grafton, ha ha.
We got a shit loads of coffee shops & old people too, it's going off, especially on pension day.

Should of dropped in Dave, bloody snob.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Well...at least in Grafton you have a choice of pubs.......
Why on Earth would you want to go to a pub? Surely your not buying any of that stuff at the bar. Ok I guess buying spirits but bloody he'll that's expensive. The Tavern here sells schooners of 150 lashes for $7.50 ea. The pubs the same & i don't think the bowlo or golfie are any cheaper. Don't get me started on the meals either.

Coopers Celebration on tap $5 schooner. Just finished 2 kegs of Vintage for $5 schmiddies...

I am not complaning at all.

My locall is pretty good.

Sucks to be both of you, my local sells Bello Brewery, Black Duck, Murrays and New England Brewery beers (and some other randoms from time to time) :p

sp0rk said:
Sucks to be both of you, my local sells Bello Brewery, Black Duck, Murrays and New England Brewery beers (and some other randoms from time to time) :p
Sp0rk you show off! Obviously you are referring to the new Mothers Milk bar at Sawtell (who by the way, are a supporter of the Grafton Show Home Brewing Competition).

To those attending the judging night, and those entering the competition, thanks heaps for your support. Without you, the event would not be a success! (if you are BJCP certified and thinking of attending the judging event, please let me know so your talents can be put to use).

As most are aware, Grafton has heaps of pubs, and from this list the following have agreed to support the event: Crown Hotel (River End Prince Street), Roches Family Hotel (Victoria Street), Blue Goose Hotel (Junction Hill), Jacaranda Hotel (Pound Street), and the Grafton Golf Club (Top of the hill South Grafton).

Their support has allowed us to better publicise the event, and I believe publicans from each of these establishments are forward thinkers when it comes to beer and the management of their establishments. This was reflected by the enthusiasm shown by each in getting behind the event. When people take pride in brewing their own beer, they are always keen to try beers from the 'local' that vary from the mainstream.

Entries can be submitted in person this Thursday and Friday (1st and 2nd of May) from 9AM - 6PM. If you are mailing an entry, get this sent ASAP (to my knowledge, none have arrived as yet). So come Friday evening, we will know if we have more entries than usual.

There aren't many historical records remaining for the event, but it has been going for nearly 150 years (though the term home brew may not have existed back then). Despite this, some locals did not know there was a home brewing event, so hopefully this is no longer the case due to the extra programs, posters, coasters, newspaper article, facebook page, and increased distribution.

I am obviously biased here, but I believe country towns deserve to have some sort of a beer scene. One that involves good quality beer, variety, and a love of the brewing process. I think most when they see All Grain brewing for the first time, are fascinated and amazed... and who would think you could make home brew that doesn't taste like 'home brew'.

If you are ever driving through Grafton, have a look at the old Grafton Brewery. It is a large site, and from a time before the term 'Craft Brewery' had even been coined.

Ducatiboy stu said:

Thats why we spent most days at ten mile beach, Iluka.
Plus a morning at the Maclean Scottish festival. May have a go at the highland games next year. Many of the entrants looked like they were there on a bet. I note also (with dissapointment), narry a stall sold anything like authentic Scottish fare. Unless you count the beer tent nestled next to the toilet block selling cans of Black Douglas and coke.

I have many, many holiday pics if you'd like to see them.

Crusty said:
Grafton, ha ha.
We got a shit loads of coffee shops & old people too, it's going off, especially on pension day.

Should of dropped in Dave, bloody snob.
I knew there was a comerade at Yamba but couldn't rember who.
We'll be back over christmas and new years Crusty so I shall bother you with brewing questions and perhaps a mooch beer or two then.

Yeah, the old Shores tavern dont miss you do they.
Guess they had to pay for that expensive play equipment and renos somehow..

Dave70 said:
Plus a morning at the Maclean Scottish festival. May have a go at the highland games next year. Many of the entrants looked like they were there on a bet. I note also (with dissapointment), narry a stall sold anything like authentic
I've thought about going myself.
I've gotten into a bit of weightlifting and whatnot and figured I would give a decent go, but thought that surely the contestants there would slaughter me in a log toss...

I'm entering just one beer in the comp as my timing is up to shit & wasn't quite ready for this years comp & would of liked another couple of weeks for this beer to age. I'm just curious to know that I use BeerSmith & my Pale Ale is 11.2 EBC which is well within the style guidelines of 9.8 to 27.6. According to the downloadable Grafton home brewing sheets, the Pale category should be 0-15 SRM. SRM = EBC x 1.97?

SRM.PNG

If that's the case, my 11.2 EBC which is in style guidelines for an APA will be out by SRM according to the comp?

sp0rk said:
I've thought about going myself.
I've gotten into a bit of weightlifting and whatnot and figured I would give a decent go, but thought that surely the contestants there would slaughter me in a log toss...
There were some big units there actually. I passed one of the top contenders on his way back from the lunch break getting his macros via two steak sangers, chips and a cigarette.

I've been training the log toss so long I'd qualify as a master.

I thinks its AWSOME that a local Agricultural Show has been able to bring in entrants from across Australia. Even better is the fact that home brewing at a local regional show level has been accepted with vigour.

Brew Mat has done an awsome job in promoting the Grafton Show brew comp

And being on the North Coast with easy access to the likes of Brisbane and Coffs, both of which offer good AG suppliers, as well as being on the Courier "spine" for affordable and quick deliveries, Grafton area is a sweet spot to be in if you want to get into AG.

Big ups to Brew Matt.

The courier spine is worth shit. They dont give a shit. .

By the time you buy a sack of grain from "Coffs"..get it delivered....

Buy a sack from Briisy .

There is no ******* sweet spot here..

Its ******* bullshit what is charged...

Well i'll be throwing 3 beers at the show, 2 will be under-carbed and green (only bottled them last Wednesday) and the other is my first AG ever that I still have bottles from. But either way im keen for the catch-up and the beers :beerbang:

Back