Grafton Show Home Brewing Competition 2014

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man I wish my lager was ready for the show, just having a glass now and it's got great head retention, really good lacing, nice and clear and tastes great
ahh well, might just have to have a few more glasses...

Well done Mike and sp0rk, 1st place boys. Shane u got a highly commended.

Results

Pale from a kit

1 Lyall Lees

Pale modified kit

1 Michael Watson
2. Ramon.Wilson

Pale from scratch

1 Peter Therkelson
2 Daniel O' Donnell

Dark beer from kit

1 Andrew Morris

Dark beer mofified kit

1 Ramon Wilson

Dark beer from scratch

1 Daniel Taverner ( Champion Prize )
2 Daniel O 'Donell
Shane Kelly ( commended )
Brian Penley

Stout from Kit

1 Jack Lumly ( champion prize )

Stout mofified kit

1 Michail Watson
2 Ramon Wilsin

Cider

1 Shaun Kelly

Ducatiboy stu said:
Results

Pale from a kit

1 Lyall Lees

Pale modified kit

1 Michael Watson
2. Ramon.Wilson

Pale from scratch

1 Peter Therkelson
2 Daniel O' Donnell

Dark beer from kit

1 Andrew Morris

Dark beer mofified kit

1 Ramon Wilson

Dark beer from scratch

1 Daniel Taverner ( Champion Prize )
2 Daniel O 'Donell
Shane Kelly ( commended )
Brian Penley

Stout from Kit

Stout mofified kit

1 Michail Watson
2 Ramon Wilsin

Cider

1 Shaun Kelly
well done
do any of those names relate to members on here ?

Ducatiboy stu said:
Results
Pale from a kit
1 Lyall Lees
Pale modified kit
1 Michael Watson Mikehell
2. Ramon.Wilson
Pale from scratch
1 Peter Therkelson
2 Daniel O' Donnell
Dark beer from kit
1 Andrew Morris
Dark beer mofified kit
1 Ramon Wilson
Dark beer from scratch
1 Daniel Taverner ( Champion Prize ). sp0rk
2 Daniel O 'Donell
Shane Kelly ( commended ). skelly
Brian Penley
Stout from Kit
Stout mofified kit
1 Michail Watson. Mikehell
2 Ramon Wilsin
Cider
1 Shaun Kelly. Shaunous

Awesome!!!

Congrats to Jack Lumley & Daniel Taverner (sp0rk), both Champion Prizes.

Will have to lift my game!

Until next time.

Cheers.

Jack who is also the steward got 5 first prizes for his beers and spirits, nothing suss :)

Hey Matty, not that I participated in it, but is there any results for the peoples choice, I'm pretty sure in the end only Stu was doing it though, Hahahaha.

Thanks guys, I'm very stoked with my win :)
Now to enter the same beer in the Bello show and hopefully get the same results...
I won't be entering the lager now, someone went and drank all of it over a period of 24 hours...

shaunous said:
Jack who is also the steward got 5 first prizes for his beers and spirits, nothing suss :)
Unless Jack bribed the judges to give him a high score, there was nothing suss about his winnings. In fact he doesn't even know yet as he is not on the internet, and has been away.

I have only known the winners names just before the show, as prior to this it was all based on bottle numbers, and class number (no names are attached to the bottles for fair judging).

What he has done is no mean feat however. For the beers, it is the largest number of submissions, and he brews from a kit. When the judges scored his winning beer (Stout Modified Kit), they were of the belief that it was all grain, but I know this is not the case, so even though you cant read this Jack, congrats!

I don't know much about Ginger beer, but his winning entry had a beautiful head on it, that I don't recall seeing on a GB previously.

shaunous said:
Hey Matty, not that I participated in it, but is there any results for the peoples choice, I'm pretty sure in the end only Stu was doing it though, Hahahaha.
I will get something compiled shortly. I think only 3 or so Peoples Choice forms were submitted..... and by submitted, I mean picked up from the floor :)

Brew Matt said:
Unless Jack bribed the judges to give him a high score, there was nothing suss about his winnings. In fact he doesn't even know yet as he is not on the internet, and has been away.

I have only known the winners names just before the show, as prior to this it was all based on bottle numbers, and class number (no names are attached to the bottles for fair judging).

What he has done is no mean feat however. For the beers, it is the largest number of submissions, and he brews from a kit. When the judges scored his winning beer (Stout Modified Kit), they were of the belief that it was all grain, but I know this is not the case, so even though you cant read this Jack, congrats!

I don't know much about Ginger beer, but his winning entry had a beautiful head on it, that I don't recall seeing on a GB previously.
Was only joking Matty, although it was funny at the show overhearing a couple of guys saying the old guy who does the judging also always wins that's why people stopped entering beers. This however is not the case anymore as he doesn't do the tasting. So congrats ol' Jack.

I would love to taste his GB though, one of the other entrants who didn't win a thing makes the best GB I've tasted, incl commercial versions.

Well done all others also, was a good night.

shaunous said:
Was only joking Matty, although it was funny at the show overhearing a couple of guys saying the old guy who does the judging also always wins that's why people stopped entering beers. This however is not the case anymore as he doesn't do the tasting. So congrats ol' Jack.

I would love to taste his GB though, one of the other entrants who didn't win a thing makes the best GB I've tasted, incl commercial versions.

Well done all others also, was a good night.
I know you were joking Shaunous, but just wanted to clarify as it is a good result.

Congratulations to all that took a place.
I'm looking forward to the judging notes as I'll be brewing this beer again shortly & would like to see what the judges picked up on with my entry.
My first beer on the new BM & my first ever comp.
Cheers boys.

shaunous said:
Results
Pale from a kit
1 Lyall Lees
Pale modified kit
1 Michael Watson Mikehell
2. Ramon.Wilson
Pale from scratch
1 Peter Therkelson
2 Daniel O' Donnell
Dark beer from kit
1 Andrew Morris
Dark beer mofified kit
1 Ramon Wilson
Dark beer from scratch
1 Daniel Taverner ( Champion Prize ). sp0rk
2 Daniel O 'Donell
Shane Kelly ( commended ). skelly
Brian Penley
Stout from Kit
Stout mofified kit
1 Michail Watson. Mikehell
2 Ramon Wilsin
Cider
1 Shaun Kelly. Shaunous

Guys well done on the great results!! Looking forward to trying again next year
Shane

I dropped my beers and the Mrs sp0rk's cider into the Bello show last night, there were quite a few entries! (I'd say a good 25-30)
Good luck to anyone who's entered :)

sp0rk said:
I dropped my beers and the Mrs sp0rk's cider into the Bello show last night, there were quite a few entries! (I'd say a good 25-30)
Good luck to anyone who's entered :)
How did you go with that spork? I managed to get a couple of entries in at the last minute, got 2nd in the Stout, 2nd in the Pale/Amber and a $25 voucher for Most Successful Exhibitor!
Cheers, M.

Latest posts

Back