Goodes Racism Claim

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave70 said:
Personally I find some of our efforts at 'reconciliation' patronizing and arrogant in the extreme. Much of it seems aimed at extracting ourselves of guilt as much as it is helping aboriginals.

I'm not interested in a pointless to and fro on the topic. I think at the heart of it we're both on the same page.
I agree with you here, and understand why my "political" response may have seemed insincere. I strongly believe that the key to a less patronizing approach is better consultation.

Josho said:
Yeh but look at the stuff they get away with - (Native Austs) sitting in park drinking all day if you or I did that well........

I hate the fact that were constatnly reminded that were not entitled our own country we have to say sorry, and that we have special indigenous rounds and the like,

if we are suppost to be the same well f them i say.
It seems very clear to me that you've got the entitlement issue well under control.

Josho said:
Yeh but look at the stuff they get away with - (Native Austs) sitting in park drinking all day if you or I did that well........

I hate the fact that were constatnly reminded that were not entitled our own country we have to say sorry, and that we have special indigenous rounds and the like,

if we are suppost to be the same well f them i say.
Adam Goodes is sitting in a park drinking? There are many indigenous Australians who lead productive lives (by what I'm assuming are your standards).

The kicker here though is WHY are indigenous communities affected by things like alcoholism to a greater extent? I'm not going to bang on about health/education/employment again, but shit mate, you clearly don't grasp the concept of cyclical disadvantage. Poverty begets poverty, not weakness of character.

No im not saying that aboriginals do not contribute to society it seems the govt really baby them along,

They are entitled to more than their fair share they do recieve handouts, under the same govt that you and I laws abided by yet a high percentage of them think they are above the law,

Cylical disadvantage does exsist but if they are human and have their own though processes is it because they simply dont want to better themselves?

@josho - where do you get your information?
What does any of it have to do with this thread?
How do you get from racial vilification of a professional sportsperson to the shitty stereotypes you are projecting?
Education of non-indigenous evidently has a long way to go.

Ok Ok,,,,,,,

Adam goodes is a professional sportsperson, he deserves alot better,

He is a champion,

And to be quite honest until the weekend i didnt even see him as any race,

the 13 year old girl who yelled at him has gotten her "ape" from somewhere probably the parents,

It was racist to him it dosent matter what is said, if you find it offenceive and it has a slur well.....

It just happened to be the indingenous round didnt help much,

Sorry for off topic ramblings,

I don't understand where the notion that Indigenous Australians (or refugees) receive a higher rate of welfare comes from. I can assure you they don't. There are employment subsidies and the like, but there are also employment subsidies that apply to a host of demographics where employment outcomes are less favourable.

Before I hear anyone bitch about that, let me say that this is GOOD for the economy in much the same way that the NDIS and Paid Parental Leave is good for the economy.

So you can take a principled, privileged stance on affirmative action and see more of your tax dollar go towards "bludgers" or, you can embrace higher workforce participation and see the country prosper. Up to you.

My thoughts;

Adam Goodes was called an Ape by a 13 year old child.

That was wrong, no question.

But he is a professional sportsman who would have been called many things during his professional career. (The Australian cricket team refer to it as mental disintegration)

We allow, and encourage, sledging by people playing sports and people watching sports. It's considered part of the game/experience.

But there is a line that should not be crossed, and derogatory comments against someone based on their race is over the line and should not be tolerated.

BUT

Adam Goodes is an adult.

While he was correct in feeling aggrieved and distressed at these comments, he should be able to put it behind him and will continue with his life.

The 13 year old child who called him an ape has had her life changed drastically.

Her face and the comments she made have been constantly displayed on national and international media.

She made a wrong and stupid comment, but the amount of scrutiny and pressure she is receiving from the media and public, you would have thought she has committed a grievous crime.

How is a 13 year old child supposed to handle that and what impact is it going to have on her in the future?

This incident could and should have been handled very differently

Mattress said:
Adam Goodes is an adult.
While he was correct in feeling aggrieved and distressed at these comments, he should be able to put it behind him and will continue with his life.

The 13 year old child who called him an ape has had her life changed drastically.
Her face and the comments she made have been constantly displayed on national and international media.
She made a wrong and stupid comment, but the amount of scrutiny and pressure she is receiving from the media and public, you would have thought she has committed a grievous crime.
How is a 13 year old child supposed to handle that and what impact is it going to have on her in the future?

This incident could and should have been handled very differently

I'm going to leave this here, because I come here primarily to learn how to make better beer, and I don't usually spend this much time on the soapbox. You seem to think Goodes is the only one affected by the kid's behaviour and the pervasive attitude that it represents. Her calling him an ape is at its most basic level indistinguishable from Aboriginal actors being unable to get a cab home from their awards night, which is indistinguishable from Indigenous women having a life expectancy of 55. Adam didn't just stick up for himself, he took a more general stand against racism, just as Nicky Winmar did 20 years ago.
The media are a pack of scavengers and don't care about Indigenous issues either, the story sells so they'll pick it to the bones and move on. But forgive me for not spending too much time mourning this girl's future when it's almost certain to be more prosperous, and longer than the vast majority of her Indigenous brothers and sisters.

Mattress said:
Wow, that's a bit racist, isn't it?
No, it really isn't.

093256-nicky-winmar.jpg

******* Collingwood and Eddie Mcguire. I'm not racist but I hate Magpies. Maybe I'm species-ist or team-ist.

Miranda Devine
UPDATE This morning Collingwood president Eddie McGuire joked that Adam Goodes should play King Kong in the musical. No wonder Goodes is sensitive. So, tough guys, are you going to smash Eddie like a defenceless 13-year-old girl?

The controversial comment came while McGuire was speaking with co-host Luke Darcy on Triple M’s Hot Breakfast show this morning.
Darcy was talking about the new musical. “What a great promo that is, for King Kong,” he said.
To which McGuire replied: “Get Adam Goodes down for it, d’you reckon?”
“No, I wouldn’t have thought so,” was the response from Darcy.
McGuire went on, stumbling over his words: “You can see them doing that, can’t you? Goodesy. You know, the big, not the ape thing the whole thing, I’m just saying the pumping him up and mucking around and that sort of stuff.”
He then said: “Just to clear up, when we were talking about King Kong there and I was mumbling my way through about Goodesy, I was trying to say ‘Imagine the old days of trying to get people in for publicity’ and I’ve mumbled my way through that so anyone who thought that I was having a go or being a smart alec I take that back.”
Darcy: “Yeah. Not sure where you were going there.”
McGuire: “Nah, neither did I halfway there I was that exhausted this morning, so apologies to that.”

Guess when a 13 year old dose it, it's racist.
When a millionaire businessman dose it, its a gaffe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back