Goodes Racism Claim

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
13 is old enough to know right from wrong.
Surly cow should be named and shamed.

Bloody footballers what a pillock and a precious prick. Bet he is crying all the way to the bank. If he has such a thin skin he is in the wrong game. Guess he needs some fried chicken. Must have been a slow day in the newsroom to get one small remark to rise so much attention.

Tropical_Brews said:
Bloody footballers what a pillock and a precious prick. Bet he is crying all the way to the bank. If he has such a thin skin he is in the wrong game. Guess he needs some fried chicken. Must have been a slow day in the newsroom to get one small remark to rise so much attention.
Quoting for posterity.

Cocko said:
She has called and apologised to him. In her defence, not a racial thing, purely facial structure - he is a little 'Apey'
I...urgh...really? You think she was (conditioned to be) making a passing observation on his physical likeness and nothing else? Really?

Did she call all the players with fashionable haircuts "poofters"?

Tropical_Brews said:
Dude.

If he was white and she called him an 'ape' do you think you would get the same reaction.

Tropical_Brews said:
If he was white and she called him an 'ape' do you think you would get the same reaction.
No, I do not. But that is precisely the point.

bum said:
I...urgh...really? You think she was (conditioned to be) making a passing observation on his physical likeness and nothing else? Really?
No, not at all.. my point was from my own observation...

Regardless, it has progressed to the current situation that she has admitted, be it her own truth or media driven, that she siad it was without racial vilification.

I can not believe a 13 yo girl could make such a simple comment and mean it to be as deeply racial as it is being played as.

I still stand by the point, physically, not racially, he is a little 'Apey'

I have a friend of Swedish decent who I call silver, because he looks like.... due to the fact that should be colour of his back, is that racist?

Cocko said:
Regardless, it has progressed to the current situation that she has admitted, be it her own truth or media driven, that she siad it was without racial vilification.

I can not believe a 13 yo could girl could make such a simple comment and mean it to be as deeply racial as it is being played as.
I strongly suspect all of this is true (at least to some extent) but at what point does this overheard and repeated bullshit become a deeply held conviction? I'm not interested in painting this child as a monster but we (as a society) need to consider the broader effects of defending her.

Cocko said:
I have a friend of Swedish decent who I call silver, because he looks like.... due to the fact that should be colour of his back, is that racist?
I dunno - which is to say that I have no idea what the negative connotation is there.

Either way, you're the same race as that guy. Right or wrong, it is different.

[EDIT: typo]

Tropical_Brews said:
That makes no sense, given the context of the event.

Tropical_Brews said:
Is that you, Sergio Garcia?

Media doesnt help. Like the bullshit about buddy franklin yelling at some female at a club during an argument and the whole song and dance of him having to ring her and apologise. Only made news cause he was a footballer.
I mist admit that goodes does seem to havw a thin skin in this incident. I doubt its the first time someone has racially abused him. Again im not condoning it, however it seems odd that ot bought him to tears. Maybe cause it was indigenous round. Just an observation not a comment or defence.

In relation to nicknames. Its a tough area. I have a greek mate whose always in top shape andvwe call him adonis as in greek adonis. We have an aboriginal mate we call chocko however that name has nothing to do with being aboriginal and is commonly mistaken as a referance to his skin colour. Hell we called one mate casper as in casper the ghost as he is pale as buggery. Nothing to do with race but its a feature. Same as calling red heads bluey or anything like that. Slippery grey slope.

Ramble over.

white-gorilla_zps9562dd00.jpg

We have all seen how these media driven stories can end up. eg the nurse in England who ended her life after an Australian radio practical joke. I am in no way condoning what she said, and ignorance is not an excuse, but the girl in question not only needs to counselled, but I would think that she would have to be watched very carefully for some time. It's extremely dissappointing to see one tv station and many newspapers show her face during an apology/interview. Now where ever she goes, people will recognise her for all the wrong reasons. I can see this ending up very badly indeed. All those people on here that are calling her a ****, how will you feel if she ends her life from an incident like this.
At 13, she is still only a child, and we shouldnt thrust our adult values and life experiences onto children. Kids are growing up way too quickly these days, and we are expecting more and more from them all the time, depriving them of the only time in thier life where they are to a degree, carefree.
Having spent quite a few afternoons at the football, I would be not surprised if she was only repeating what she has heard at the ground. I certainly have heard worse stuff said, which wasnt racist, but was equally abusive and derogatory, but we let those comments continue.
I would be dissappointed if one of my children said what she said, but I think at 13, they would have been more than capable of saying it, and not realising what the consequences would/could be. I know myself, that at the age of 13 or so, I did not have the understanding of social responablities that is thrust upon our children today.
I was once involved in an all in brawl on a basketball court when one of my team mates was called a black ****. The 2 players went to a counselling session, where the offending player apologised for calling the other player black. He didnt apologise for calling him a ****. He was also of aboriginal descent, but didnt look it, and didnt understand the hurt that comes from racist slurs.
Adam Goodes quote " Racism has a face - that face is a 13 year old girl". I'm sorry Adam, but the face of racism is not a 13 year old girl, its the face we look at in the mirror every day, its the person looking in the mirror that makes the decision to be racist. Some of the most racist people I have met have not been "white" Australians. It still doesnt make it right, regardless of your skin colour.
LagerBomb

What she said was wrong, make no mistake, but I agree that maybe Goodes was being a bit thin skinned. I've been called whitey and skip on the footy field whatever. I reckon Nicky Winmar had it right all those years ago when he pulled up his jumper to show he was black and proud. It was a big F.U. to those that were abusing him. Yeah he was upset bit he didn't tear up and leave the ground. No it shouldn't happen, It's dissapointing that it does, but at the same time sticks and stones etc.

manticle said:
Context:

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/eddie-mcguire-apologises-to-adam-goodes-after-a-magpie-fan-racially-vilified-the-sydney-champion/story-fndv8ujy-1226650256245

Rowy - look up Prussian blue (folk band) if you really want to shock yourself on ingrained racism in children.

I've always had the hope that they'll hit puberty and rebel hardcore (possibly by doing interracial hardcore)

They DID grow up!

http://jezebel.com/5663855/the-white+power-girls-of-prussian-blue-are-all-grown-up

Phil what I find offensive is not what he (tropicsl brews) said, but the fact that one of my peers (brewers) can come out with that shit.

Latest posts

Back