Goodes Racism Claim

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Absolutely, as a side note, I find the political tone on this site fascinating - less conservative (in general) than I thought it'd be, but obviously varied. Tropical, if you'd like I can dig up something for you to read about Indigenous disadvantage that specifically addresses how seemingly insignificant acts of vilification are actually harmful.

Tropical_Brews said:
Bloody footballers what a pillock and a precious prick. Bet he is crying all the way to the bank. If he has such a thin skin he is in the wrong game. Guess he needs some fried chicken. Must have been a slow day in the newsroom to get one small remark to rise so much attention.
Really?
Liam_snorkel said:
Phil what I find offensive is not what he (tropicsl brews) said, but the fact that one of my peers (brewers) can come out with that shit.
No peer of mine...

You know, just add a few insults together, racist or not, throw them at someone you don't like, if they have a difference to you the things you called them just become attributes of them if enough people start mindlessly following the example.

Next thing someone loses a job, has a bad day, had their team lose, drunk, stupid, whatever really and encounters the object of their derision, how do you think would they treat them?

Yea, all people need is an excuse at the right time. Plenty of would be bullies that just need a ******* excuse. All this defensiveness about, she's 13 ffs, didn't mean anything, leav children their innocence. Well, teach them some damn respect and manners. I bet these same 'children' tell their own parents and schools to **** off when told to do anything. No wonder they have zero respect or sensitivity or patience for anything or anyone out there. Fukwits birthing fukwits and putting more into circulation.

How come kids of farmers from country towns are generally so well behaved? They are hard working people that don't tolerate bullshit, definitely not from their kids. Time the bogans were made responsible for their fukwit generations.

NewtownClown said:
Yeah read about their new found liberalism directly because of this thread. Not sure if it illustrates more the ridiculousness of blind bigotry or the shaky ground on which many liberals position themselves but it's a step forward. Not quite the interracial orgy/lesbian bukkake I was hoping for them but it's a step forward.

@a lot of you - thin skinned? How much shit do you think someone gets given like this all their lives before they crack it?

manticle said:
@a lot of you - thin skinned? How much shit do you think someone gets given like this all their lives before they crack it?
It's classic derailment. Being expected to be thicker skinned about this kind of shit is the same as being expected to be thicker skinned about the appalling difference in life expectancy for Indigenous Australians; a person might dispute that, but it's endemic of the same attitude that keeps disadvantage entrenched. Despite what people like to tell themselves, we're not born onto a level playing field.

Phil Mud said:
Despite what people like to tell themselves, we're not born onto a level playing field.
How would you suggest we level it up then?

He did look like a bit of an ape with that beard though :)

Nah 13 year old girl just happened to be the straw that broke the camels back I feel,

About the playing field,

every living breathing person has the same opportunities to make something of themselves,

we all have our own brains.

Only males from wealthy nations believe that.

racism-cartoon.png

bum said:
Only males from wealthy nations believe that.
If some dowdy African American female chatterbox, born to a single mother in impoverishment in 1950's rural Mississippi can rise to become an billionaire and the 'the most influential woman in the world' in a country notorious for it's racism, then the opportunities clearly exist for anyone with a bit of kick in them.

158393-oprah.jpg

Dave70 said:
How would you suggest we level it up then?
Develop strategies through broad consultation with the indigenous communities. Focus on improving (exponentially) health, education and employment outcomes for Indigenous Australians.

Dave70 said:
If some dowdy African American female chatterbox, born to a single mother in impoverishment in 1950's rural Mississippi can rise to become an billionaire and the 'the most influential woman in the world' in a country notorious for it's racism, then the opportunities clearly exist for anyone with a bit of kick in them.

158393-oprah.jpg
Classic derailment - you're presenting a clear exception and implying that it's some kind of conditional rule (ie: as long as someone has the drive to overcome adversity, they can).

People shouldn't have to overcome entrenched adversity because of their race. Oprah clearly has a tonne of get up and go, but the fact that her rise is so remarkable BECAUSE she's a woman if colour simply proves my point.

Phil Mud said:
Develop strategies through broad consultation with the indigenous communities. Focus on improving (exponentially) health, education and employment outcomes for Indigenous Australians.
Excellent political answer.
I've got news for you, they're already doing it.
But lets just say for the sake of the argument, in the course of this 'broad consultation', aboriginal elders lament that being stripped of the right to administer traditional law is the reason their young people are running riot in the towns. Do you permit them to deal with their own in their own way, or are we (white Australia) only comfortable with cultural expression that goes as far as playing the didgeridoo and dancing like an emu?

Phil Mud said:
Classic derailment - you're presenting a clear exception and implying that it's some kind of conditional rule (ie: as long as someone has the drive to overcome adversity, they can).

People shouldn't have to overcome entrenched adversity because of their race. Oprah clearly has a tonne of get up and go, but the fact that her rise is so remarkable BECAUSE she's a woman if colour simply proves my point.
I'm implying nothing, I'm stating it as fact.
Stating that people shouldn't have to overcome adversity due to race or sex is simply pushing an already open door in the context of this thread.

Clearly it's not being done effectively. I know it's a "political" answer - policy makers know it's the right approach, but they aren't genuinel consulting. I'm unable to right now, but if you're genuinely interested I'll find some pieces written by indigenous people, about the shortcomings of current policies.

With regard to cultural expression, I think you're being glib. Its clearly a sensitive issue, but not an all-or-nothing approach. I don't profess to have the answers (with regard to the degree to which we should allow the administration of traditional law - though this occurs to an extent in the NT). In short though, yep, it is a conundrum, and one that is best addressed by indigenous Australians.

Last, re: Oprah and open doors. Wake up. I have nothing more to say if you really think white privilege isn't a thing because our political compasses are too far out if sync, and I'm not interested in a long debate or flame war. Happy to read whatever you have to say back, but I'll leave it here. Happy brewing.

Edit: apologies for the typos - ******* iPhone!

Yeh but look at the stuff they get away with - (Native Austs) sitting in park drinking all day if you or I did that well........

I hate the fact that were constatnly reminded that were not entitled our own country we have to say sorry, and that we have special indigenous rounds and the like,

if we are suppost to be the same well f them i say.

Phil Mud said:
Clearly it's not being done effectively. I know it's a "political" answer - policy makers know it's the right approach, but they aren't genuinel consulting. I'm unable to right now, but if you're genuinely interested I'll find some pieces written by indigenous people, about the shortcomings of current policies.

With regard to cultural expression, I think you're being glib. Its clearly a sensitive issue, but not an all-or-nothing approach. I don't profess to have the answers (with regard to the degree to which we should allow the administration of traditional law - though this occurs to an extent in the NT). In short though, yep, it is a conundrum, and one that is best addressed by indigenous Australians.

Last, re: Oprah and open doors. Wake up. I have nothing more to say if you really think white privilege isn't a thing because our political compasses are too far out if sync, and I'm not interested in a long debate or flame war. Happy to read whatever you have to say back, but I'll leave it here. Happy brewing.

Edit: apologies for the typos - ******* iPhone!
I may come off glib, but I am sincere. Except when I'm being facetious..
The fact (debatable) that aboriginal's have existed for forty odd thousand is evidence enough for me they had their ducks in a row without the white mans help. Whatever systems they had in place, however primitive, worked for them.

Personally I find some of our efforts at 'reconciliation' patronizing and arrogant in the extreme. Much of it seems aimed at extracting ourselves of guilt as much as it is helping aboriginals.

I'm not interested in a pointless to and fro on the topic. I think at the heart of it we're both on the same page.

Latest posts

Back