Going On A Brewery Tour In Victoria

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lespaul

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm just planning to visit some of the breweries near melbourne for a weekend trip. We will probably be going through the Yarra Valley and staying near Seymore, then possibly coming back through Flowerdale or Healesville.

Has anyone got any suggestions for breweries to check out in the area? Completely open for suggestions and willing to change the route there or the way back...nothing much has been planned so far.

Any info would be great.

Thanks

Pulling through Woodend for a visit at Holgate Brewhouse, then visiting Tooboorac Hotel sound like good ideas to me... I'd break the trip into two days: Central Vic & western area on one day, then SE Melb and Gippsland/High country another day.

Head to Hargreaves Hill.

It's in the Healsville area. They make a nice ESB there, as well as many other good drops.

+1 on holgate in woodend great beers, food a bit so-so. :icon_cheers:

You can get a booklet sent out to you with a list of a lot of microbreweries in metropolitan and provincial Victoria.

Here's the link...

Or call 132 182 and get a copy sent out to you.

Check out White Rabbit in Healesville. I had a good chat with the brewer, Jeremy at the Sydney Beer Festival on Sunday. Nice guy and a very tasty beer.

If you're going through Yarra Valley you've got a bunch you can do:

- Coldstream Brewery (Mixed bag some good beers, others not so well reviewed - never been myself but a lot to try there)
- White Rabbit Brewery (Great fitout loads of bling, an open fermenter on the screen that is kinda novel - sadly only one beer at the moment - White Rabbit (and Rogers on tap))
- Buckleys Brewery (also in the Yarra Valley area - I think you have to phone ahead but this guy is open most weekends from what I hear and very accommodating)
- Hargreaves Hill as others have mentioned - Great beer

High Country:
- Jamieson's Brewery (short drive out of Mansfield) - Try the Beast, a big IPA. They do some seasonal releases such as a chocolate bock this year and a blackberry stout last year. Basic country pub feel without the bells and whistles of places like White Rabbit but good big tasting beers. Even their pale ale has nothing small about it.
- Bright Brewery - Haven't been to this one or tried their beers but seeing people wearing their T-shirts so their gift shop must be good :D

The tourism vic site is also a good tip to plan a trip in any direction.

Either that or save yourself on petrol and go to the microbrewers showcase in fed square Thursday. Most of these guys will probably have their ranges to sample there!

Hopper.

Either that or save yourself on petrol and go to the microbrewers showcase in fed square Thursday. Most of these guys will probably have their ranges to sample there!

Hopper.

Yeh pretty shattered I have uni exams and a presentation tonight!

thanks for all the great info!

Back