Tassie trip- what breweries and distilleries do you recommend ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know I yap on Bruny island every time the Tas subject comes up, but for a $33 ferry ticket its worth a look if you've got time. House of Whisky, Get Shucked Oysters, scenic walks, Hotel Bruny with cozy log fire Moo Brew on tap and the best seafood chowder ever.
On the flip side, its cold as a witches tit. So pack your mittens if you go.

might squeeze it in depending on how many days I hire a vehicle for. Interested to visit the Bruny cheese/beer place too.

Bruny is terrible.

Loads of wallabies and quolls everywhere, fresh oysters practically falling out of the sky, whisky, cheese, beer, berries, chocolate, trees and beach everywhere you turn and oppressively close to the city.

Best stay away.

Had some beers at the whaler last night, great little bar with friendly staff, roaring fire and and astoundingly good grass fed scotch fillet on the menu.
Then dropped into Cool Wine today to grab too many bottles of Tassie beer, great selection. Planning on checking out the breweries in town tonight. shambles, t-bone and captain blighs.

Yesterday I checked out:
Waterman's beer market - nice place with a decent solo acoustic act playing, drank the HBCo rye porter which was really delicious.
New Sydney - fire was roaring, venue was packed and the beer selection was great. They had a stout running through the 'hoppinator' (randall) which was filled with horseradish & ginger. It was a surprising combination but worked really well.
Shambles - had their robust porter (decent) and a chicken burger (great). Almost bought their RIS for the edgy name (Crimea River) but moved on to the next place to meet people
Quartermaster's Arms - cosy wine bar - they had three taps, I had (i think) the Last Rites stout aged in Lark whiskey barrels. it was great.
T-Bone had closed by the time I arrived and didn't make it to the Winston. maybe today.
Also I'm pretty sure every microbrewery in Tas has a stash of Lark barrels.

Latest posts

Back