Fat *******'s Taswonican Tour (Part II)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fat Bastard

Brew Cvlt Doom
Reaction score
So, yonks ago, I posted a thread here about touring the bush isle. Anyway, work and stuff got in the way, so I finally booked it 3 years later.

I cannot for the life of me find the original thread I posted, so I will start again with it.

I'll be arriving on the 30th of March and will be driving around, roughly clockwise from Devonport.

We will be spending a few days touring the West Coast, spending 5 nights 3rd-7th April in Hobart, heading up the East coast to Launceston (10-12th April) and then spending 13-15th April in Sheffield (dunno why, seemed a central location for short tours... and it's near 7 Sheds) before getting back on the boat on the 16th.

I'm looking for some suggestions of beer and booze related things to do so I don't have to endure the fresh hell of knick knack shops, regional art galleries and the intriguing prospect of a sea horse farm for the entire trip.

Going to be doing the usual crap... Gordon River cruise, Mona, Maria Island etc, but any suggestions of interesting or obscure attractions involving old motorbikes, anything steam powered or the like will be recieved with great gusto.

Thanks!

FB

i was just hobart i stayed at the The waratah it had a big selection of bottles and two local brew's from kicksnare brewing and hobart brewing on tap .also theres place 105 murray street has a selection of beer's on tap

Go to weldborough and tell me if the pub that claims to serve every tas micro beer and cider is any good. Ironhouse brewery. Paul morrison's brewery in/near launceston.

No steam engines but the pyengana cheese factory has old stuff and cheese. Also beautiful country.

Cheers folks! Staying in St Helens one night, because of Iron House. Weldborough and Pyengana are on the way to Launceston from there, so will be a definate stop. Mrs ******* can drive that day! I've roughly planned the trip around breweries ( ooh look, another brewery!) so hopefully will get at least a few in. I also wanted to take in some distilleries, Hellyers Road is definately on the cards, and maybe Lark and Sullivan's cove, But don't knowing else.

Call in and see Ashley at 2 Metre tall. He is eccentric but loves to have a yarn and knows his stuff when it comes to sours. Beautiful view there too.

The Sydney Hotel, Hobart in my experience has always provided a good range of beers on tap, decent food, live music and a pokie free environment.
The beer garden - its literally a garden - at Cascade is a pleasant enough place to enjoy a drink if the weather is fair. Dont bother with the tour however unless you have some fetish for stairs and seeing bottles on convener belts.

Definateley try the morrison brewery range my favourite tassie made beer at the moment

Fat ******* said:
I'll be arriving on the 30th of March and will be driving around, roughly clockwise from Devonport.

We will be spending a few days touring the West Coast, spending 5 nights 3rd-7th April in Hobart, heading up the East coast to Launceston (10-12th April) and then spending 13-15th April in Sheffield (dunno why, seemed a central location for short tours... and it's near 7 Sheds) before getting back on the boat on the 16th.
Clocks do run the same way in Tasmania as on the Mainland, it's just the Calenders that are years behind.

ianh said:
Clocks do run the same way in Tasmania as on the Mainland, it's just the Calenders that are years behind.
I'm glad someone noticed my deliberate mistake!

Some great suggestions... Keep em coming. Totally looking forward to this trip, my first proper holiday since 2008!

Hopefully you have more luck on your Tassie adventure then I am right now FB. 4 days in and the cam in my Patrol snapped in half in 2 spots and KaBoom engine fucked! Holiday fucked!
To make it worse my new born baby has a chest infection and flu. The 4 days I spent travelling and camping Bay of Fires up North East were amazing, but now it blows, few thousand dollars down I don't have and wont be running till probably Friday.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Not to put a downer on your big holiday though :)

Bay of fires is incredible (esp big lagoon) but sorry to hear about your troubles shaunous.

Whoa. How did the cam snap? That is shit!

I've had a few trips like that myself, misunderstood the newborn chest infections. Hope it improves from here in. At least you'll remember it!

Yeh, Policemans Point is Fuji postcard type shit, clear blue water, white sand beaches, FREE camping. Amazing!

Cam snapped in 2 places, clean snapped, no signs of old cracks or anything. Reco head $2000, then the gaskets and all the rest.
Im just stoked the whole engine isn't fuked (I hope, hasn't been checked over yet).

Misunderstood sounds like shit. Stupid autocorrect I thinking meant notwithstanding. Anyway, the newborn has my sympathy and understanding, as do you!

Wineglass Bay is also well worth a look, part of Freycinet National park.
Bit of a hike to get down to the beach, but I managed with a chubby 13kg baby son crammed into a backpack, ( though coming out was a little tough) so not that bad.
Beautiful place to say the least.

823761-wineglass-bay.gif

Want to buy a cheap Land Rover Saun.

I feel your pain of a sick baby and stuck away from home and things not going to plan

Latest posts

Back