Get into O2 guys, if you're serious about nicer beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nic0 said:
I just had a crack with an aquarium pump and a carb stone. It worked well in a glass of water but then i put the carb stone in some sterilisation solution with out any air running through it and it filled with water so i just stuck the end of the hose in my mash paddle and let it go for 20min. Next time i will keep the air running through the stone.
Put down a pale ale yesterday and had another crack with the carb stone but left the air on this time. 20 minutes later i had alot better result with lots of small bubbles on the surface. It will be interesting to see if it makes any difference as i am still doing kit and a kilo.

Tahoose said:
C'mon guys, I'm trying to save money over here... :unsure:

$44.99 any day of the week.
Practice the art of rationalization, you must.

8222.jpg

so im looking at getting two aquarium pump and filter and stone set ups. First rationalisation for the double up is because I do two ferments at a time I can have one running in each for the prescribed 15-30 minutes and not be waiting to finish aerating one before starting the other, but now I am thinking maybe I can run 2 into one vessel and hopefully get more in quicker, and then move to the next.

Hands down the best thread I have read so far.

Thank you to all the informative posters.

Brewman has my money :beer:

Dave70 said:
$44.99 any day of the week.
Practice the art of rationalization, you must.

8222.jpg

1 - It would need to be a damn sight cheaper than that for me to be actually saving the $$$.
2 - I would need to be paid $44.99 to drink a few of those.

Newy said:
Brewman has my money :beer:
He might not. I've been communicating with him on my internet machine and computer says no!
His EFTPOS has been down so it's PAYPAL or direct account deposits until it's up and rolling again.
Top bloke for service, he's gotten back to me so quick with a couple of questions I had.

Ah ok, cheers, thanks for that, I paid with Paypal so might be alright, I'll send him an email to make sure.

o2 setup arrived today. First brew on the new rig this weekend so I was planning on doing a split batch, one aerated and one not aerated.

The only yeast I have with enough to do 2 batches with is US05. Then I read don't 02 with dry yeast... is it still worth doing the side by side?

Moad said:
o2 setup arrived today. First brew on the new rig this weekend so I was planning on doing a split batch, one aerated and one not aerated.

The only yeast I have with enough to do 2 batches with is US05. Then I read don't 02 with dry yeast... is it still worth doing the side by side?
I think you only read this from one poster. Recommend reading through MHB's post a little earlier before making a final call on that.

Moad , Go hard son, I love side by side comparisons , makes you aware of differences straight away.

I often with my double batch brews, because the worts are identicle I do diff dry hopping on each, diff yeasts etc and keep lots of notes.

Side by side with and without O2 I have not done yet, but might soon on something with all other things been equal.

Let us know how it turns out....

Stouter said:
He might not. I've been communicating with him on my internet machine and computer says no!
His EFTPOS has been down so it's PAYPAL or direct account deposits until it's up and rolling again.
Top bloke for service, he's gotten back to me so quick with a couple of questions I had.
Hey Stouter,
Mate everything is back to normal.

I was astounded by this. Reported the eftpos dead first thing Monday and I had a new one by the close of business today. So it's all good again.

Cheers Steve

Coldspace said:
Moad , Go hard son, I love side by side comparisons , makes you aware of differences straight away.

I often with my double batch brews, because the worts are identicle I do diff dry hopping on each, diff yeasts etc and keep lots of notes.

Side by side with and without O2 I have not done yet, but might soon on something with all other things been equal.

Let us know how it turns out....
Will do, I also have some WY1450 for a third batch and because I have nothing on tap right now I'll be able to put them all side by side. I am really going to enjoy knocking out 120L... anyway OT sorry

Well my brewman oxy kit turned up yesterday and luckily I had a cube full of Irish red ale ready to pitch with 1084. So gave it a blast at 60 seconds with the tap completely open. Let's see how she goes!

The hose came naturally curled, so it was a little challenging getting it to stay put at the bottom of the fermenter. Does anyone suggest that the SS wand is a worthy investment - or should I just persevere with getting the hose straightened out as best I can?

Phoney said:
Well my brewman oxy kit turned up yesterday and luckily I had a cube full of Irish red ale ready to pitch with 1084. So gave it a blast at 60 seconds with the tap completely open. Let's see how she goes!

The hose came naturally curled, so it was a little challenging getting it to stay put at the bottom of the fermenter. Does anyone suggest that the SS wand is a worthy investment - or should I just persevere with getting the hose straightened out as best I can?
Mine hasn't arrived yet, most likely because I'm still saving up for it, but I don't see why you couldn't just attach the stone end to the end of a long brewing spoon.
A tiny cable tie would do it and could be just cut off and replaced each brew.
It would only add a couple of cents each time, or (I'm sure I'm not alone here) a previous employer may have been generous enough to gift you a lifetime's supply of the things.

Phoney said:

Hi Phoney,
Like you say the hose curls. It should start to straighten out now its unpacked. Could heat with hot water and lay it out straight till it cools.

The wand makes the whole thing easier but you should be fine once the hose straightens a bit.

My little connector thingy for the regulator arrived today, now I'm probably missing something obvious here but how the hell do you get the thing together?

IMG_1020.JPG

Latest posts

Back