Get into O2 guys, if you're serious about nicer beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rocker1986 said:
Derp.. told you I'd miss something obvious. Been a long day lol

:lol: :lol: :lol:

12274216_10208616892364110_1956594349226335932_n.jpg

Yep pretty much mate.. hahaha. I bet if the thing had have arrived earlier when I wasn't so tired I would have worked it out in a couple of seconds.

Anyway, I'm off to CB tomorrow for a bunch of things including an oxywand so I'll be able to give it a crack on Monday when my next batch is pitched. B)

I got into work at 5:45am and was about to pour my cereal onto a dinner plate.

I get tired

Brewman_ said:
Hi Phoney,
Like you say the hose curls. It should start to straighten out now its unpacked. Could heat with hot water and lay it out straight till it cools.

The wand makes the whole thing easier but you should be fine once the hose straightens a bit.

Thanks buddy!

One more question for you. Whats the best way of keeping the airstone sanitized? Is a starsan rinse sufficient - or should I go for something more nuclear eg: a PBW solution soak?

Phoney said:
Thanks buddy!

One more question for you. Whats the best way of keeping the airstone sanitized? Is a starsan rinse sufficient - or should I go for something more nuclear eg: a PBW solution soak?
can you boil it?

Well CB were out of oxywands so not sure what I'm gonna do now... might have to wait til the batch after this one to try it out.

Just pulled the trigger on ANPROS's Hydropure 35 - their food/pharma grade 35% H2O2.
Just getting a 250mL bottle to try out this method of oxygenation, plus a little dropper bottle to dilute into.
So ~$30 for the 35% H2O2, ~$3 for the amber dropper bottle, and ~$20 for the Dangerous Goods courier to home (all plus GST). Unfortunately ordered a little late to be likely to get here tomorrow, so maybe gets here on monday.
Total ~$55-60 for this setup, as opposed to ~$150-250 for the gas setups (inc oxywands, if they can be obtained ;) ).
I just hope it works! :lol:

So how much are you going to put in say 23 L of wort after you pitch 2g ???

Dilute down to 3% (~10:1 dilution).
16.5g solution into ~23L *after* pitching yeast.

Will probably be making 25L of higher grav wort, so will compensate to 18-20g solution.

Good luck. Make sure your fermenter has ample head space and that you have a decent size starter. (Which you are probably doing anyway.)

If you can split some before adding the H2O2 and ferment in a separate bottle for comparison, you may get a feel for how much of a difference the H2O2 makes.

Rocker1986 said:
Well CB were out of oxywands so not sure what I'm gonna do now... might have to wait til the batch after this one to try it out.
No affiliation, if you give ibrew a ring soon they might be able to get one to you tomorrow. Otherwise if you feel like giving Mick at Cannon Hill a call he might have some, dunno if that's driving distance for you.

http://www.ibrew.com.au/products/diffusion-stones

@Rocker1986

I drive to the coast three days a week including tomorrow. I'm popping into ibrew to order glycol and pick up some other bits.

Happy to bring your equipment to Brisbane for Friday night. I'm near Mitchelton

Any brewers looking at getting into an industrial type cylinder, BOC or Coregas (Bunnings), send me a PM before you pay $$$ for a regulator.
I just maybe able to save you a few of those $$$.

Batz

Batz said:
Any brewers looking at getting into an industrial type cylinder, BOC or Coregas (Bunnings), send me a PM before you pay $$$ for a regulator.
I just maybe able to save you a few of those $$$.

Batz
what you taking about batz?

Hoorah, my magic wand is on the way. I shall soon be the Hairy Pothole of brewing!

Wand and stone are in the mail (thanks Brewman), and I've got everything else sorted ready.
Going to try it out by the end of next week I hope. Keen as **** to see/taste the results and play around with timing, etc.

Phoney said:
Thanks buddy!

Hi Phoney,

Can clean with Sodium Perc solution, or PBW, BBW.

Make sure you let it dry well.

Before use sanitise with your normal sanitiser, I also turn on the gas and the stone will foam up. Then I tip a bit of boiled water over it just to get most of the sanitiser off. Then into the wort with the gas running so that the wort does not fill into the stone.

Some guys have been boiling them.

And don't leave the gauge on the disposable bottle. It should be removed to prevent the O2 from leaking out.

Latest posts

Back