Get into O2 guys, if you're serious about nicer beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started using O2 of the Bernzomatic variety via a 2 um stone about 10 batches ago and I've definitely noticed faster starts to ferments, bigger krausens (not that it really means anything), and shorter times to FG, which are all good signs, but I haven't really noticed an increase in final beer quality. I have to admit these were all <1.054 OG beers so it might (probably would) be different for high gravity beers. Also I always use substantial stir plate starters which might have helped the non-O2'd beers.

That all said, I'm not about to give up the system for two reasons: 1) the benefits mentioned at the start of my post, and 2) just because I can't taste a big difference doesn't mean it's not there (my guests may be more discerning than myself). Also, it's pretty cheap insurance once you're set up.

Zorco said:
@Rocker1986

I drive to the coast three days a week including tomorrow. I'm popping into ibrew to order glycol and pick up some other bits.

Happy to bring your equipment to Brisbane for Friday night. I'm near Mitchelton
Hey mate, that actually sounds like not a bad idea. What sort of time would work?

That works out well, I finish at 6.30ish at Sherwood, so it's not too far to drive from there to pick it up

See, getting into O2 coz were serious about nice beer! PM me your moby and we can sort out the details mate!

Just to stir the pot but has anyone considered a dissolved oxygen meter to be the first investment before buying o2 equipment? IMO every one of you is flying blind with your o2 dosage which will depend on so many different factors, e.g. flow rate, temperature, wort volume, size of bubbles & time.

There could be a whole lot of you with this new expensive gear who are going to either over or under dose on o2 which both are detrimental to fermentation.

Futur said:
Just to stir the pot but has anyone considered a dissolved oxygen meter to be the first investment before buying o2 equipment? IMO every one of you is flying blind with your o2 dosage which will depend on so many different factors, e.g. flow rate, temperature, wort volume, size of bubbles & time.

There could be a whole lot of you with this new expensive gear who are going to either over or under dose on o2 which both are detrimental to fermentation.
D.O meters don't look too cheap. Do you know of a source at a good price.

Futur said:

A DO meter to get into the ppb range starts at around $20k. That's a fairly sizeable first investment!

Stouter said:
D.O meters don't look too cheap. Do you know of a source at a good price.
Cheapest decent meter I could find is the Extech DO600, on ebay for about $360 including postage. I've got one coming in the next few weeks.

My point being is if you look at the saturation limits of O2 within water at temperature, the recommended 8-10 mg/L of O2 can be achieved via standard aeration with air. However knowing when you've hit the recommended O2 dose is the issue, unless you have a meter.

Killer Brew said:
A DO meter to get into the ppb range starts at around $20k. That's a fairly sizeable first investment!
Recommended wort O2 levels within the Kunze are 8-10 mg/L. Which is ppm, not ppb. Hence a meter that doesn't cost $20k is adequate.

I dunno about that. $360 translates into a lot of other more meaningful brewing kit for my own situation. Not to diminish your decision, hats off for going so far into your precision.
I think I'll be flying be the seat of my pants for now and performing some educated guesses for my timings.

Stouter said:
I dunno about that. $360 translates into a lot of other more meaningful brewing kit for my own situation. Not to diminish your decision, hats off for going so far into your precision.
I think I'll be flying be the seat of my pants for now and performing some educated guesses for my timings.
I respect your decision also, beer can still be made without all the fancy kit. Ultimately it can get to a point of diminishing returns. But personally for me the meter is worth the cash and will also be used for low oxygen brewing.

Futur if you could post some results here when you get it that would be great. Is wort temp flow rate, time & DO.

If you have a look at the data that makes the graph (dissolved O2 in water) if your wort is above say 16oC there is no way you can over saturate. Worth noting that solubility in wort is lower than for water (as SG goes up, solubility goes down). Most ale brewers can forget about an O2 meter, where you could run into trouble is with cold wort say 6-8oC for lager, wouldn't be hard to work out a couple of idiot proof ways to get the right DO levels.
One that comes to mind is to chill a small portion say 5L of wort, to around 1-2oC oxygenate that to its limit then mix it into the rest of the wort (haven't done the numbers but its a very straight forward C1V1=CaV2)

Yes I do want a good DO meter, love the tech gear but don't think its necessary, except maybe for an accurate thermometer, a pH meter, maybe a calibrated hydrometer or digital......
Mark

MHB said:
Yes I do want a good DO meter, love the tech gear but don't think its necessary, except maybe for an accurate thermometer, a pH meter, maybe a calibrated hydrometer or digital......
...shifter.

Liam_snorkel said:
Futur if you could post some results here when you get it that would be great. Is wort temp flow rate, time & DO.
Hi Liam,

Looks like the guys over at morebeer have done this for us already (for ales @ 19C). It's a great article for everyone here about to jump into O2. It does however highlight the degree of variability of oxygen dosage dependant on the factors I mentioned earlier. If using O2 it's recommended a sound method should be used to meter the correct amount into your wort.

From that article:
Attenuation and ester production in worts of the same gravity but differing levels of dissolved oxygen were equivalent. Comparing beer made from worts with dissolved oxygen levels in the 6.0–8.0 ppm range and those made from worts with levels greater than 12.0 ppm, the flavor characteristics were indistinguishable.
In summery, excessive aeration with a stick blender or paint stirrer on a drill can get your wort up to 7.0 ppm, but an oxygen setup will often get your wort up to 11.0 ppm or higher. The end resulting beer will be the same, but your fermentation will be much quicker and healthier and have a far less chance of coming into contact with airborne contaminants.

Back