Get into O2 guys, if you're serious about nicer beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Midnight Brew said:
It certainly is the next best thing for yeast after temperature control. The proof is in the beer.
Isn't the proof meant to be in the pudding?

I have a question mark on some yeast calculators, and the volumes we think we're getting. I have personally gone for convenience sometimes - a particular starter volume; or preparing a starter late - and the beer has suffered. Or, those where I've been able to make a massive, healthy starter have been markedly better.

All this talk about fermentation temperature, yeast volume and oxygenation during growth... It's almost leaning towards yeast being critical to the quality of the beer.

Almost...

Liam_snorkel said:
Very interesting. I don't suppose you saw if they have regulators too?
sorry for the tardy response. I didn't even look for them as I already have the Brass reg.

index.jpg

....and looking at the oxyturbo from brewman, i could of got a better value.

Does the oxyturbo fit the brass reg?

pcqypcqy said:
You can always try it. I'd be worried about flavours/contamination coming from an air compressor, not sure whether your filters would intercept all of that or not.
From experience I'd be very worried about oil carryover with a standard system.

To protect the pneumatic cylinders in my frame fatigue tester I have two inline cleaners on the feed to the pneumatic circuit, in addition to the cleaner on the compressor itself. The cylinders exhaust to atmosphere on the off stroke and it takes about two minutes for the area to smell strongly of compressor oil.

pcqypcqy said:

Attached Files
Dave70 said:
I dunno, 450 kpa seems mighty high to me. Based on the fact I once forgot my beer was still at carbing pressure (300 kpa) before serving..
And also its the maximum pressure the L/T tyres on the Hilux will take. Just seems like heaps. But I could be wrong.

pcqypcqy said:
I thought it was high too. It's entirely possible that the conversion is wrong and I don't know what the hell I'm talking about.

Where's Lyrebird when you need him.
The calculations are way off, I think that flow rate calculator is for water not gas*.

Even if you use a gas flow calculator the results wouldn't be useful: the rate limiting component on your oxygenation rig is usually the sinter, not the line. I have a sinter flowrate calculator somewhere but I only ever use it to calculate the size of sinter needed to do a particular job, there's too much variability to use it for process control.

In industial practice we use an on cylinder flow gauge, for accuracy you must convert the pressure unless you use one of the special pressure compensating gauges.

For home I use an upturned jug in a bucket to calculate the output of the sinter at a known O2 pressure and go with that.

These days I don't even do that, I just give it a shot at roughly the right pressure and time; I only use O2 as a backup for the oleic acid addition (I think O2 still helps with ergosterol synthesis and since I'm paying rent on the cylinder already I might as well use it).

Looks very similar to the brewman setup although the stainless wand is an extra accessory.

Add postage and the cylinder and you'd be looking similar or a tad more.

Blichmann make good stuff though so I'd suggest it's probably a very reasonable purchase.

Adr_0 said:
Isn't the proof meant to be in the pudding?
Actually the proof of the pudding is in the eating, so I guess the proof of the fermentation is in the drinking

ed: apologies Manticle, just saw your post.
I need that first coffee!

I just had a crack with an aquarium pump and a carb stone. It worked well in a glass of water but then i put the carb stone in some sterilisation solution with out any air running through it and it filled with water so i just stuck the end of the hose in my mash paddle and let it go for 20min. Next time i will keep the air running through the stone.

nic0 said:
I just had a crack with an aquarium pump and a carb stone. It worked well in a glass of water but then i put the carb stone in some sterilisation solution with out any air running through it and it filled with water so i just stuck the end of the hose in my mash paddle and let it go for 20min. Next time i will keep the air running through the stone.
I do that too for the same reason.

Lyrebird_Cycles said:
From experience I'd be very worried about oil carryover with a standard system.

To protect the pneumatic cylinders in my frame fatigue tester I have two inline cleaners on the feed to the pneumatic circuit, in addition to the cleaner on the compressor itself. The cylinders exhaust to atmosphere on the off stroke and it takes about two minutes for the area to smell strongly of compressor oil.
Thanks for that, yeah my thinking is that because the compressor is 'oil free' my two in-line filters would only be required to clean up any air borne contaminants as opposed to anything the compressor might add into the mix. Anyway, enough theory, I guess there is only one way to really know!

Ferg said:
Thanks for that, yeah my thinking is that because the compressor is 'oil free' my two in-line filters would only be required to clean up any air borne contaminants as opposed to anything the compressor might add into the mix. Anyway, enough theory, I guess there is only one way to really know!
Don't do it. Just don't.

I got impatient and set myself up with O2 this weekend. The bunnings reg is the same as the ebay ones posted earlier, just without a gauge.. it was a little bit fiddly but ended up basing the flow rate on just less than bubbles breaking the surface of the wort.

tradeflame 930ml oxygen
https://www.bunnings.com.au/tradeflame-930ml-oxygen-gas-cartridge_p5910241
tradeflame reg
https://www.bunnings.com.au/tradeflame-regulator-conversion-kit_p5910287
2 micron air stone kit
https://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=5938

Run the compressor into a bottle of water for an hour or so. Then seal the bottle and let it sit for an hour or so. Open bottle and do a sensory test on the water and the air in the bottle headspace. If you can't detect any issues, you should be good to go.

So with the Brewman kit, does anyone know if its possible to use Bunnings tradeflame or the Supercheapauto oxygen bottles with the BM regulator?

$55 for a replacement 136g bottle seems a bit uneconomical.

peteru said:
Run the compressor into a bottle of water for an hour or so. Then seal the bottle and let it sit for an hour or so. Open bottle and do a sensory test on the water and the air in the bottle headspace. If you can't detect any issues, you should be good to go.
Visual too - eg if there's a layer of oil on the water, or if swirling it pulls up a little oil tornado...

Phoney said:
Aren't the Supercheap Auto O2 cylinders something like $33 for 40g? That's even worse economy.

Phoney said:
does anyone know if its possible to use Bunnings tradeflame or the Supercheapauto oxygen bottles with the BM regulator?

it's the same size bottle as the bunnings tradeflame one. 136g / 930ml, and about the same price. You'd just have to confirm that the bm regulator fits M10M fitting.
If the regulator is M12, bunnings have a M10 to M12 fitting. https://www.bunnings.com.au/tradeflame-brass-m10-to-m12-gas-adaptor-fitting_p5910344

So what's the process of getting medical o2 or clean o2. It's not like you gas people with it. I know it can combust with oil and it support's combustion but that is the only negative I an see with it.

Phoney said:
So with the Brewman kit, does anyone know if its possible to use Bunnings tradeflame or the Supercheapauto oxygen bottles with the BM regulator?

the one from bunnings is an m10 thread. Brewman's one is an M12 from memory, so they are different

Though, the price/value comparison is pretty much the same.
Bunnings is like $50/136g bottle, Brewmans is $55/136g bottle (and you get to support a much nicer guy than bunnings)

The smaller bottles at supercheap etc are worse $/g comparisons

Latest posts

Back