Get into O2 guys, if you're serious about nicer beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ferg said:
Assuming I don't have the budget for 02 and a regulator do you think this set-up would be beneficial compared to doing nothing?
I would have thought this would be the middle ground between an 02 set-up and shaking the fermenter. Probably slightly better than the run of the mill aquarium pump and sufficient to get my 8-10ppm in say 2-3 mins?
You can always try it. I'd be worried about flavours/contamination coming from an air compressor, not sure whether your filters would intercept all of that or not. But do it on a cheap test beer and see what happens.

Another cheap alternative to shaking is to get yourself a paint stirrer and chuck it on a drill.

Radshoes said:
Cheers, I am going to go see what my local masters has in terms of cheap o2 today
just because I am worried if I try to oxygenate my stout with hydrogen peroxide I might get a blonde ale.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ferg said:
Assuming I don't have the budget for 02 and a regulator do you think this set-up would be beneficial compared to doing nothing?
I would have thought this would be the middle ground between an 02 set-up and shaking the fermenter. Probably slightly better than the run of the mill aquarium pump and sufficient to get my 8-10ppm in say 2-3 mins?
Well, this is what I've been doing for the past 12 months except I use an aquarium pump - the rest is just about identical.

I believe it's beneficial and unlike shaking, you have good control over the quantity/time you are pushing air into it.

edit: One thing to remember is if those filters get damp/wet - they just don't work - chuck it and buy a new one.

maybe a coincidence but my O2 ran out this week....so I went to the Blue Bunnings aka Masters and they are finally selling the stock at a good price, 40 - 70% off.

picked up 2 for the price of one @ 40% discount. :super:

Shelf price $36 each - paid $43 for 2

WP_20161104_11_00_30_Pro.jpg

Bernzomatic @ Masters: 80.2g for $43 = $0.54/g
Oxyturbo @ Brewman: 136g for $55 = $0.40/g

Zorco said:

peteru said:
Both the food grade and pharmaceutical grade hydrogen peroxide at 3% and 6% concentrations are not classified as dangerous goods and good to ship using normal post. It's the products in concentrations above 10% that require special handling. So, there's always the option of sticking with the 6% concentration, just getting a purer product than what the chemist sells. Keeping a 1l bottle refrigerated should not be too hard.

No product data sheets at ANPROS for the two types, but I suspect that the pharmaceutical product would be as suitable as it can get.

Just spoke to Graham Morris, one of the industrial chemists at ANPROS (& an ex-brewer!).
He explained that the Food Grade H2O2 and Pharmaceutical Grade H2O2 they sell are both food grade, the Pharma Grade one is a bit more pure. Both use tiny quantities food grade stabilisers.
He also explained that while it's at ~35%, the H2O2 is much more stable and has a much longer lifespan, whereas the 3% or 6% decomposes much quicker even at refrigerator temps. At fridge temps, he was suggesting the 35% might last ~4 years, whereas the 3-6% would decompose within 9-12 months.

Obviously the 35% could take a decade to get through a 500mL bottle, however the cost of the various types are not that different, so i'd be inclined to simply cough up the cash for the 35% and not be too worried about the decomposition, at least for the first few years.

FWIW, he mentioned you could buy a 5L container and split it (maybe on site?) and they can supply the 500mL bottles (including a vapour releasing cap) - works out ~half the price at ~$20.

Pratty1 said:
maybe a coincidence but my O2 ran out this week....so I went to the Blue Bunnings aka Masters and they are finally selling the stock at a good price, 40 - 70% off.

picked up 2 for the price of one @ 40% discount. :super:

Shelf price $36 each - paid $43 for 2

attachicon.gif
WP_20161104_11_00_30_Pro.jpg
Dammit my local one had nothing - tomorrow I'm heading south to check a few other branches out (going to Dandenong and Frankston anyway)

ended up getting the brewman kit, seems like a pretty easy and economic way to start mainlining 02 into that damn wort.

Ferg said:
I had been using the shaken fermenter method but having fermentation issues. Will be getting set up for O2 however as a stop gap in the meantime I tried putting my mash paddle into my drill and letting loose with that for 5 mins. Can't believe the difference even that has made. Belgian golden ale OG went from 1.062 to 1.009 in 3 days and has finished at 1.006 which is the lowest I have ever achieved apart from with a saison yeast. I'm excited!

manticle said:
Brewman setup is where I'll be looking in a few weeks.
Thinking the same. Had money set aside for other brew related shit but if this makes a measurable (taste) difference, I am going for it.
Still wonder how many have, or have not aerated properly and still had "great" beers? ("great" beer is all of them that weren't aerated, tasted amazing, have won competitions etc etc!) Could this be the next "oh wow" moment since temp control? :lol: :unsure: haha!

Aus_Rider_22 said:
Thinking the same. Had money set aside for other brew related shit but if this makes a measurable (taste) difference, I am going for it.
Fermentation is a logical place to look for improvements or spend $ on that's that can improve it... Making wort is relatively easy, and we are all guilty of spending $ on gadgets and being on the wort making side, but the majority of what makes good beer comes from the fermentation process side.

Aus_Rider_22 said:
Still wonder how many have, or have not aerated properly and still had "great" beers? ("great" beer is all of them that weren't aerated, tasted amazing, have won competitions etc etc!) Could this be the next "oh wow" moment since temp control? :lol: :unsure: haha!
I just won first place for a rice Lager at the North Coast National show which wasn't aerated. I made it again & aerated with O2 before pitching & there is a marked difference. It's just cleaner & crisper & just a better beer.

Aus_Rider_22 said:
It certainly is the next best thing for yeast after temperature control. The proof is in the beer.

Good work on your win crusty...

I took my 4 mini kegs for first time to a BBQ , all were filled with ales that were 02, and the guys all said the beer just tasted better.

Good enough for me. Now I'm using a heavy kegmenter in bottom of my chesty, it's far easier for me to drop the stone in, bubble away for couple minutes, and remove and pitch.

Yes, I've made excellent beers with the paint stirrer method , but my last 6 O2 batches just seem a little better.

I've really been paying attention to my fermentation processes last couple of years, temps, aeration , pitch sizes, nutrients , lagering techniques, all the way to learning diff yeast strains. Might as well add oxygen.
It's all in the quest to make better beers, I seem to be heading in the right direction

Doing a fermentation /lagering experiment today on my finished octoberfest and Doppelbock , they have been through the D rest, I was going to rack these into a stainless fermenters with say a very small amount of dissolved dME like 200 grms with some finnings, rack in at 16 degrees, seal after purging head space with co2, leave for 3 days then slowly drop temp 2 a day back to 0 for lagering.

Anyone done something similar.? Or just **** it, go straight to cc .

Latest posts

Back