Get into O2 guys, if you're serious about nicer beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave70 said:
Do you know if theres a way to calculate this flow rate for an industrial type gauge? Say 5 kpa for 60 seconds?
Most of the examples I can find aren't overly precise in the dosage. A nice gentle bubble on the surface for a minute seems to be the norm.
I'm not sure how critical it is or needs to be but with my setup, I just run roughly 5psi on the cigweld regulator for 90sec, Ales & Lagers.
It may be over or under oxygenated but the finished beers are really crisp & clean. You can get flow meters if you could be arsed but I don't think their necessary.
Some disposable bottle regs have a flow meter if you are looking to go down that path.

After getting sick & tired of dealing with tubing that kept wanting to coil up and make oxygenating wort more difficult than it should be, I recently bought myself a DIY wand from china for $2.50. It's just a stainless steel cylinder that I attach to a stone via a short piece of silicon tube, and then attach other end to the silicon tube that goes to the regulator. The only downside is that the ss cylinder has a sharp superfluous edge at one end where they've cut the cylinder from a longer cylinder (and this kinda cuts,scrapes into the inner part of the silicon tubing. I'm worried that might become a good hiding place for bacteria).

So I'm considering ways of shaving off that sharp bit of stainless steel, or just biting the bullet and buying a $50 wand locally.

kaiserben said:
After getting sick & tired of dealing with tubing that kept wanting to coil up and make oxygenating wort more difficult than it should be, I recently bought myself a DIY wand from china for $2.50. It's just a stainless steel cylinder that I attach to a stone via a short piece of silicon tube, and then attach other end to the silicon tube that goes to the regulator. The only downside is that the ss cylinder has a sharp superfluous edge at one end where they've cut the cylinder from a longer cylinder (and this kinda cuts,scrapes into the inner part of the silicon tubing. I'm worried that might become a good hiding place for bacteria).

So I'm considering ways of shaving off that sharp bit of stainless steel, or just biting the bullet and buying a $50 wand locally.
I got this one from Craftbrewer.

Dave70 said:
Do you know if theres a way to calculate this flow rate for an industrial type gauge? Say 5 kpa for 60 seconds?
Most of the examples I can find aren't overly precise in the dosage. A nice gentle bubble on the surface for a minute seems to be the norm.
I'll try and put something together in a spreadsheet. It's similar to the beer line length calculator, just needs some rearrangement.

Edit 2: OK, now looking at it in more details it turns out it's much more complicated than that because it can compress, so it's not a simple fluid mechanics question. I didn't seem to find any online calculators for it, but something must exist somewhere.

This is one of those ones where you get Lyrebird Cycles to answer.

Edit 3: I did find the attached calculator that seems to do what we're after. The output unit is lbm/s, which is pound(water mass) per second. The web tells me to convert this to litres per minute you multiply by 27.22.

So assuming a 6mm ID line (approx 1/4 inch), a gauge pressure of 65psi (450kPa, 4.5 bar) is required to deliver 2 litres per minute. Does that seem right to people who have done this before?

As many others have pointed out, welding regs often come with a flow rate dial rather than a pressure gauge, so maybe it's a matter of selecting one of those.

View attachment Flow Calculator.xls

Rocker1986 said:
I got my gas bottle and regulator today from BOC as it's just down the road from work. Question, where do you get the barb/nipple thingy that screws onto the regulator outlet in order to connect the hose up to it? Does Bunnings sell them? It's a 5/8" RH male thread.
Pirtek or Enzed have them if need be

Eureka!
Found an old reg in the shed from one of the little trademate welding kits,
Much the same as this, -

DSC_2613-650x433.jpg

for using with the $30 odd disposable bottles at Super Cheap Auto. Hard to control, but it just needs to hit that sweet spot with the flow. I'm not worried about how many L/Min for any certain style. This is just to get the ball rolling, then look at upgrading later.

My other option is my old plumbing kit's Oxy reg coupled up with a 'D' size cylinder. A couple of places in town are now doing the 'no rent' option. Prices seem to be about $355 for the initial cost, then about $80 for a refill/swap over. F&$kn regional prices.
Seems a few suppliers here are going with this no rent option now, the worker at Bunnings told me they are even getting into it soon. A couple of thier Perth stores are currently doing it with swaps on 'D' size for $69 each!

Coodgee said:
is it easy/possible to over-oxygenate? are there dire consequences?
There's conflicting info out there (of course, as with everything homebrew-related)

But here's a quote from the Wyeast website (source):

"Over-oxygenation is generally not a concern as the yeast will use all available oxygen within 3 to 9 hours of pitching and oxygen will come out of solution during that time as well."

pcqypcqy said:
So assuming a 6mm ID line (approx 1/4 inch), a gauge pressure of 65psi (450kPa, 4.5 bar) is required to deliver 2 litres per minute. Does that seem right to people who have done this before?
I dunno, 450 kpa seems mighty high to me. Based on the fact I once forgot my beer was still at carbing pressure (300 kpa) before serving..
And also its the maximum pressure the L/T tyres on the Hilux will take. Just seems like heaps. But I could be wrong.

Dave70 said:
I dunno, 450 kpa seems mighty high to me. Based on the fact I once forgot my beer was still at carbing pressure (300 kpa) before serving..
And also its the maximum pressure the L/T tyres on the Hilux will take. Just seems like heaps. But I could be wrong.
I thought it was high too. It's entirely possible that the conversion is wrong and I don't know what the hell I'm talking about.

Where's Lyrebird when you need him.

big78sam said:
OP inspired me. Went to masters and bought a benzomatic o2 cylinder for 22 bucks down from 36. I would have bought 2 but they only had 1 left.

Craftbrewer sell regulators designed for these cylinders so i rang them and asked about industrial versus food grade. They said its no issue using them so thats good enough for me.

Not wanting to start up the shitfight about grades of Oxygen again, but...

I was looking to pick up the Tradeflame version of this from Bunnings (https://www.bunnings.com.au/tradeflame-930ml-oxygen-gas-cartridge_p5910241), but need some kind of reg to go with it. The only one I could find with the same thread was this one (https://www.bunnings.com.au/tradeflame-regulator-conversion-kit_p5910287). They look pretty nice to me, plenty of O2, would last me ages, and a nice small reg, with a barb fitting no less, to suit. Only question I had was if it would be suitable.

I shot an email off to Tradeflame about it, they came back and asked for detail on what my usage was going to be. Stupidly I told them the truth, to which they abruptly replied "this gas is for industrial use only, not food use", and pretty much ceased all communications thereafter...

Now, I don't really care that much about the industrial/food grade bullshit, some of the gear I'm using certainly isn't anywhere near "food grade", but my question is still unanswered. Does anyone know if this reg will work well and safely, with this O2 cylinder?

Question:

I have a spare 6kg C02 bottle. If I took that down to BOC, would they likely refuse to fill it with 02 if I asked them?

Phoney said:
Question:

I have a spare 6kg C02 bottle. If I took that down to BOC, would they likely refuse to fill it with 02 if I asked them?
Yes

Phoney said:
Question:

Why don't you ask them to fill it with hydrogen?

Phoney said:
Question:

They will happily fill it with O2, but you'll get the carbon thrown in for free

Phoney said:
Question:

Real question?

Latest posts

Back