Get into O2 guys, if you're serious about nicer beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found a supplier offering 1L O2 cylinder with reg for just under $100. The reg fitting looks to be an M10, same as the cylinders at Bunnings. Does this sound like a reasonable deal?

Stouter said:
Found a supplier offering 1L O2 cylinder with reg for just under $100. The reg fitting looks to be an M10, same as the cylinders at Bunnings. Does this sound like a reasonable deal?
I don't know a lot about it but the tank & reg seem to be well over $100 for many setups. I'm sure the exposure would be welcomed on the blog!

From memory, the only downside is how long the hyrdo sample takes to settle.

Brewnicorn said:
I don't know a lot about it but the tank & reg seem to be well over $100 for many setups. I'm sure the exposure would be welcomed on the blog!
There's also the reg as a separate purchase for $45. But I'm confused and drunk right now too so I need to go to Bunnings tomorrow (sober) and make sure I'm looking at the same thing. Also requires stone, filter and some hoose I suppose.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Disposable-Gas-Bottle-PURE-OXYGEN-1x-l-litre-Bottle-Combo-600037-MIG-TIG-/111621305999?hash=item19fd25f68f

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Disposable-Gas-Bottle-Regulator-Argon-CO2-Bossweld-600044-/111359555038?hash=item19ed8bf5de

Stouter said:
There's also the reg as a separate purchase for $45. But I'm confused and drunk right now too so I need to go to Bunnings tomorrow (sober) and make sure I'm looking at the same thing. Also requires stone, filter and some hoose I suppose.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Disposable-Gas-Bottle-PURE-OXYGEN-1x-l-litre-Bottle-Combo-600037-MIG-TIG-/111621305999?hash=item19fd25f68f

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Disposable-Gas-Bottle-Regulator-Argon-CO2-Bossweld-600044-/111359555038?hash=item19ed8bf5de
If you go looking for the other main thread regarding o2 setup, that regulator is discussed in much detail.

Some say it's not valid for an o2 setup, others disagree.
Personally, I'm using that regulator with the o2 bottle from bunnings (I posted a full part list of my setup in the other thread)

That thread is here
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/77928-different-wort-aeration-kits/

Crusty said:
Oxywand from CraftBrewer.
CoreGas deal from bunnings
Cigweld oxygen regulator from Bunnings

attachicon.gif
20160902_170927.jpg

attachicon.gif
20160902_171105.jpg
I like this idea. After reading through a bit of the thread and others' comments about the improvements to their beers I may well jump on board myself. Just another thing to add to the Craftbrewer shopping list next time I go down there. Doesn't sound like a huge investment for better results either, which is excellent, and I'm always looking for ways to improve my beers. I'm sure SWMBO will just roll her eyes at this latest wishlist item though. :lol:

Anybody know if commercial breweries incorporate O2 as part of the process?

Dave70 said:
Absolutely! Usually inline between the Heat Exchanger and the FV

Definitely inline O2 in most if not all craft breweries, well the ones I've been to have.

It's a small investment , but in my humble opinion made a professional polish to my quality .

I've been pumping out at least one grainfather batch per week past 18 months of grain father ownership. Mainly do double batches in it to save time on standard brews. I usually do a double batch, double brew so I can get 4 cubes once a month. Got thirsty family.

3 fermentation fridges, have been really paying attention to large healthy yeast starters, temps, water quality and lots of other things.

My regular staples I've had on tap here are fairly consistant. But in the quest to improvement I followed SMBo and crustys imput and invested in my O2 setup.

It's still early days, but we have on tap now 6 batches of 3 diff regular styles,

And the 02 has given them all a nice polish up, and I think how easy and cheap it was, and the beers seem just better, and I have some regular piss head beer mates over and all gave positive thumbs up.

We have tested this method in my 2 brewing mates setups who do kits and bits and they all have improved.

So in my opinion, get a set up if your serious about improving the beer quality.

Another thing I've noticed, is when cleaning out my fermenters, there is also a lot more yeast crap in the bottom, so obliviously to mme there has been a better breeding program going on inside .

I wish I did this years ago, but anyway we are all learning things as we go through the motions...

My wife recons I'm somesort of mad scientist lately ha ha,

If the delivery is on time my 4 mini kegs should get here today....

Funny thing is, it's her birthday today... But I did go get her a gold bracelet and taking day off work today to take her out to lunch.... Then the sarvo, running the grainfather lol....

Dave70 said:
Check out my post earlier (no. 23), this is how Fortitude do it at their smaller brewery.

Batz said:
quoting Boddingtons Best
Well back in the olden days, Oxy welding O2 had a lot of moisture in it and could contain lubricant particles from the compressors.
Batz said:
Bullshit.

I worked for many years at C.I.G. now B.O.C. Both 02 and C02 commercial and medical grades came from the same
cryogenic tanks. The bottles where all filled together, and there was no special procedures taken for medical grade either.
When you produce 02 you do it medical grade and in large volumes, it would be stupid to produce two different grades of gas. Pay more if it makes you feel all fuzzy, that's why they have different bottles.

Have you any idea what would happen if you where to use lubricant on an 02 compressor? We went to great lengths to stop this. Even our tools and hands were placed under black lights to make certain they were lubricant free.

Batz
Of course you are absolutely right about the oil, - Oil and oxygen don't play well together.

I apologise to Batz and anyone that took my post as fact.

I think maybe I was getting mixed up with normal air compressors and also perhaps the Acetone you can get from poorly stored acetylene bottles.
[We used them on a portable trolley that often got left lying down instead of standing up.]
In my defence it was a bloody long time ago - yer honour.

@Roosterboy and Crusty
There is a White Labs YouTube video where they compare Using Oxygen , not using it and shaking the shit out of the fermenter
( assuming approx. 22 L of wort ) pre yeast pitching.
They found shaking the hell out of the fermenter for 10 mins was just as good as using Oxygen.

I'd question the validity of that.
Me too,
I saw the video but find it hard to believe that you'd get enough dissolved oxygen that way to be as effective as
actually injecting O2.
My experience comparing shaking to using an air pump would suggest the latter is more effective so O2 would be too.
Perhaps I just didn't shake it hard/long enough?
Which means again for me at least, O2 injection would be better, as I can control how long and how much very easily for repeatable results.

Coldspace said:
Definitely inline O2 in most if not all craft breweries, well the ones I've been to have.

It's a small investment , but in my humble opinion made a professional polish to my quality .

I've been pumping out at least one grainfather batch per week past 18 months of grain father ownership. Mainly do double batches in it to save time on standard brews. I usually do a double batch, double brew so I can get 4 cubes once a month. Got thirsty family.

3 fermentation fridges, have been really paying attention to large healthy yeast starters, temps, water quality and lots of other things.

My regular staples I've had on tap here are fairly consistant. But in the quest to improvement I followed SMBo and crustys imput and invested in my O2 setup.

It's still early days, but we have on tap now 6 batches of 3 diff regular styles,

And the 02 has given them all a nice polish up, and I think how easy and cheap it was, and the beers seem just better, and I have some regular piss head beer mates over and all gave positive thumbs up.

We have tested this method in my 2 brewing mates setups who do kits and bits and they all have improved.

So in my opinion, get a set up if your serious about improving the beer quality.

Another thing I've noticed, is when cleaning out my fermenters, there is also a lot more yeast crap in the bottom, so obliviously to mme there has been a better breeding program going on inside .

I wish I did this years ago, but anyway we are all learning things as we go through the motions...

My wife recons I'm somesort of mad scientist lately ha ha,

If the delivery is on time my 4 mini kegs should get here today....

Funny thing is, it's her birthday today... But I did go get her a gold bracelet and taking day off work today to take her out to lunch.... Then the sarvo, running the grainfather lol....
I know it's kind a subjective thing, but would you say it gives your homebrew that commercial 'edge', if you know what I mean?
For example, off the top of my head, LCPA is one of my favorite off the shelf beers. As studiously as I've followed the best clone recipes and procedures I can find - start to finish - its always missing that pizzazz, for want of a better noun, of a fresh shop bought example.

SBOB said:
If you go looking for the other main thread regarding o2 setup, that regulator is discussed in much detail.

Some say it's not valid for an o2 setup, others disagree.
Personally, I'm using that regulator with the o2 bottle from bunnings (I posted a full part list of my setup in the other thread)

That thread is here
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/77928-different-wort-aeration-kits/
I like the links you provided in post#102 of that thread. Sets it out nicely.
They appear to show the same thing I'm looking at with an M10 thread, and the reg you show was a supplier (Bobthewelder) I checked when looking for the reg by itself, the price seems to have come down by a few $$'s.
The same reg I'm looking at can be upgraded to include a flow meter, but I don't think it's a huge requirement.
If only I could get my hands on a medical Oxyboot from work :ph34r: , the reg on those is really easy to adjust.

I reckon I'll go the same way as your set up list with the wand and all.

Dave70 said:
I know it's kind a subjective thing, but would you say it gives your homebrew that commercial 'edge', if you know what I mean?
For example, off the top of my head, LCPA is one of my favorite off the shelf beers. As studiously as I've followed the best clone recipes and procedures I can find - start to finish - its always missing that pizzazz, for want of a better noun, of a fresh shop bought example.
Well, in my limited experience I would say if you have all things correct, mash, ingredients, temp control, and healthy yeast starters then the 02 on my last 6 batches has pushed my quality up to next level.

My beers have been turning out really good last couple of years, but I know what you mean, something was just not there,

Last few batches that missing link I feel has made the diff, to mine at least. I've been super pedantic with everything I do, and this extra little bit is like the icing on the cake.

It's made my latest IPA and 150 lashes batches , let's say, crisper, more hop prominent and also more balanced between the malts, I'm no judge or professional far from it...but my tongue and my mates tongues have noticed an improvement, let's say they finish better and faster, and even after 1 week in the keg they are better than previous batches that we're say 3 weeks in the keg.

So unless I've done something wrong in the past, the only diff I've been doing is the 02 injection.

75-80 seconds at 2.5 ltrs minute for ales, 2 minutes at 2.5 ltrs minute for my lagers. Plus as always nice healthy starter yeast pitch.

I know what you mean, I've done a few batches of my LCPA which I love on tap at my local, mine have turned out say 80% there! but not enough! I haven't tried O2 on this receipe but will very soon.

I have a keg with my last LCPA still quater full at the back of my keezer, this beer is 2 months old now and is coming into a nice balanced version. But I recon my next version will be a lot better, after my Irish red, 150 lashes and IPAs have all turned out better, quicker...

Look, it won't turn beer into unreal beer, unless all other steps in the brewing process are followed.

It's just another piece in the puzzle, but for minimal outlay it's worth it.

You wouldn't bother if you didn't have temp control and healthy yeast practises to start with.

If you feel you got all other things down pat, and then this is the next step in adding just that little bit more professional finish.

Like all things in life, it also comes down to the skill of the person with the tools. But if been doing consistant things then yeah , I recon it's worth it, plus less froth from stirring or shaking the shit out of the wort. Plus to me personally, yeah I love beer, but I get just as much a buzz doing the brewing and learning more of this awesome hobby.

I just checked my Doppelbock , went from 1077 down 1010 in 2 weeks. Just about to cc it this weekend , tastes awesome out of the hydronmeter.

At the end of the day, yeast turns sugary liquid into beer. So get that side of things down pat and good things will happen.

I got my gas bottle and regulator today from BOC as it's just down the road from work. Question, where do you get the barb/nipple thingy that screws onto the regulator outlet in order to connect the hose up to it? Does Bunnings sell them? It's a 5/8" RH male thread.

Dammit, I actually found those guys on eBay just before too, but didn't see that particular item. I guess the search terms weren't right. Anyway, thanks for that! I'll order one now so it should get here before I pitch my next batch (and grab the oxywand before then too).

Coldspace said:
75-80 seconds at 2.5 ltrs minute for ales, 2 minutes at 2.5 ltrs minute for my lagers. Plus as always nice healthy starter yeast pitch.
Do you know if theres a way to calculate this flow rate for an industrial type gauge? Say 5 kpa for 60 seconds?
Most of the examples I can find aren't overly precise in the dosage. A nice gentle bubble on the surface for a minute seems to be the norm.

Latest posts

Back