Funky Beer Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok there are 6 longnecks from kabooby and stuster
and 10 stubbies from neonmeate. and broken glass residue in the box.
I'm guessing the courier company did open up the box and fix it kabooby.
which means 4 stubbies went down, ah well most survived.

No saaz, and 2 stubbies marked quintrex.

Q

The box should have 6 beers from each of us, 4 stubbies marked Quintrex, and the saaz hops.

Not sure where the sticky come from :unsure: :ph34r:

Kabooby :D

that must have been some wild smelling sticky residue
Smelt quite toffee apple like. I'll fill the empty gaps with my brett saison.

It's good seeing all these wild beers, so tempted to brew one today.

Cheers
Q

I've grabbed an online quote for a courier so will it be feasible to get a weight?
I'm not certain how the procedure will work yet but if I have that as a starting point I can get the ball rolling.

That's still my preffered option as I think it will be comparable to posting cost wise and a little safer.

Although it sounds like those that posted didn't have too many issues.

With regards to mine they are taking a while to carb up so for those who are impatient you could always do what I do and give them a little dose with the carbonator cap. I did do the bottling with extra yeast etc. but the whole thing was new to me so I may have stuffed it...

Q the Sour Orange Ale is ready to drink. It will likely be well carbonated though so be ready to pour...

I am looking forward to this!

quintrex can you pop mine in with the nsw guys (if that's ok with you nsw guys) as I will be in nz as of tomorrow till the 22nd . I can transfer you the $ online no worries. of course so as soon as you have the amount I will get you $

I'm still waiting on pmolou's swaps to arrive, so I'll give weights when/if that arrives.

I have to say the selection looks fantastic. Cheers guys

Q

Hi all, and a massive thanks to Q for organising me!

My beers are sorted, and about to be delivered in about 5 mins.

I've got a mixture of 3 beers, A Kriek which is comprised of 3 and 1 year old lambic and fresh morellos... this one has been aging in the bottle for about 3 years too. It is marked KR on the lid.

Next one is another Kriek, this time with bottled cherries, and a mixture of 5,4,2 and half year old lambic.. This one has KLA on the cap, which funnily enough does not represent the acronym for Kosovo Liberation Army.

The final one is a pomigranite lambic (PL), which has fresh fruit and a mixture of 3 and 2 year old lambic, and about 2 years in the bottle.

I hope you all find them interesting, as you'll notice, filtration is not something I see as very important... so excuse the chunks.

Cheers,
Chris

The final one is a pomigranite lambic (PL), which has fresh fruit and a mixture of 3 and 2 year old lambic, and about 2 years in the bottle.

I hope you all find them interesting, as you'll notice, filtration is not something I see as very important... so excuse the chunks.

Cheers,
Chris
If feasible, I'd really really like to have the PL marked bottle in my case if I can...
The others sound very nice though so I can manage if I don't ;)

Over to you Q :)

Ok there are 6 longnecks from kabooby and stuster
and 10 stubbies from neonmeate. and broken glass residue in the box.
I'm guessing the courier company did open up the box and fix it kabooby.
which means 4 stubbies went down, ah well most survived.

No saaz, and 2 stubbies marked quintrex.

Q

I forgot about the stubbies from NM.
Should have been
Kabooby 6 long necks + saaz in a grey plastic shopping bag. maybe mistaken for packing filler.
Stuster 6 longnecks + extras for Q
NM 12 stubbies for swap and extra stubbies for Q

Maybe they repacked to cover up that the box had been dropped :unsure:

Kabooby :)

I forgot about the stubbies from NM.
Should have been
Kabooby 6 long necks + saaz in a grey plastic shopping bag. maybe mistaken for packing filler.
Stuster 6 longnecks + extras for Q
NM 12 stubbies for swap and extra stubbies for Q

Maybe they repacked to cover up that the box had been dropped :unsure:

Kabooby :)
Here's what i've recieved in your box.

kabooby 6 longnecks no saaz
6 longnecks from stuster 1 extra stubby
10 stubbies all up from NM, no extras

There was traces of broken glass in the box and stickiness, however no broken bottles... hmmmmmmm.

We should be okay for the swap, i'll fill any gaps with my brett. C saison.
if you have any requests out of the mixed bottles let me know and I'll do my best to accommodate.

Still haven't received pmolou's contribution, I'll give it till tomorrow night and then get onto sending peoples cases back to them.
Cheers
Q

hey guys yeah sorry it'll be there by the afternoon today

dropped my beers round today and tried Q's brett saison and i've gotta say it tasted pretty damn awsome to my tastebuds.. Perfect for a hot summer day, looking forward to trying everyone elses and hope mine turns out okay

I'd say mine need another month or so as there taking a while to carb up i might just keep trying them every week or so and let you guys know when they're carbed properly

Wiki article for drinking instructions
Please update with anything poignant for your contribution(feel free to make it look better too) :)

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...showarticle=109

Pmolou's contribution has arrived, most swaps are sorted out.

Kabooby, I need to find an extra box to send the NSW's swaps back so as soon as that is sorted I'll be in touch.

Bconnery I'll check everything later tonight and weigh it for you.

Jonw (or any of the NSW guys): what beers do you need sent back? are you getting the other NSW swappers beers locally or do I need to send you any(apart from bconnery's?

Kook's swap is packed, however I'll hold onto it till he gets back (lemme know when to post it).

Cheers guys

Q

Sorry if I've missed it in the thread but are you guys posting your recipes and fermentation regimes anywhere?

Sorry if I've missed it in the thread but are you guys posting your recipes and fermentation regimes anywhere?

Some people have included recipes on the bottles, but apart from that, there isn't a mandated recipe thread or anything. I can't see a problem if people want to post their recipes up here. For my contribution, because it's a blend of two separate batches a recipe is kinda meaningless in terms of repeating it :).

Q

Q, we'll be swapping beers locally when we split the beers back up so I think we only need the non-NSW beers back to us.

Manticle, I certainly can post the recipes, but I think process, choice of bug and stupid amounts of patience are more important really. :D

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Flanders Red
Brewer: Stuart Upton
Asst Brewer:
Style: Flanders Red Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 22.00 L
Boil Size: 27.95 L
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 30.1 EBC
Estimated IBU: 23.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 67.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.25 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 42.86 %
2.25 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC) Grain 42.86 %
0.30 kg Caramunich II (Weyermann) (124.1 EBC) Grain 5.71 %
0.20 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC) Grain 3.81 %
0.20 kg Carahell (Weyermann) (25.6 EBC) Grain 3.81 %
0.05 kg Melanoidin (Weyermann) (59.1 EBC) Grain 0.95 %
30.00 gm Northern Brewer [6.70 %] (60 min) Hops 23.1 IBU
1 Pkgs Roselare Belgian Blend (Wyeast Labs #3763)Yeast-Ale
1 Pkgs California Lager (Wyeast Labs #2112) Yeast-Lager

Primary with cal lager just because I had that around, it's pretty neutral and not too attenuative. About ten days in primary, then some saved dregs from my first batch of FR added for secondary. 9 1/2 months in secondary and bottled in July.

Potters Old Ale
80% BB pale, 20% Bairds amber
Bittered with EKG and Fuggles, SG at flame out
OG 1062 FG 1010 IBUs ? 6.8%
Wyeast 9097 Old Ale Blend (includes brett), 2nd gen slurry

Made at Potters brewery. Just a couple of weeks in primary, then to secondary for a bit over three months. Also bottled in July.

Q, we'll be swapping beers locally when we split the beers back up so I think we only need the non-NSW beers back to us.

ok, cool, I'm sending jonw's back with the bulk lot to kabooby, then he can get his NSW beers from you guys, and give you the ones for you 3(NM, Stuster, kabooby). Otherwise we are short a few bottles. If you guys aren't swapping with jonw locally then I'll do some rejigging to share the loss.

btw bconnery your box weighs 13.4 kg. Did you say you were organising the courier from your end? Either way is fine.

Cheers all
Q

ok, cool, I'm sending jonw's back with the bulk lot to kabooby, then he can get his NSW beers from you guys, and give you the ones for you 3(NM, Stuster, kabooby). Otherwise we are short a few bottles. If you guys aren't swapping with jonw locally then I'll do some rejigging to share the loss.

btw bconnery your box weighs 13.4 kg. Did you say you were organising the courier from your end? Either way is fine.

Cheers all
Q
That's my plan. I'll start the process tonight and should have an answer within a day or so...
You couldn't give me the dimensions too could you? Even just approx?

How are the NSW ones going back? Is that courier or post?
I posted a while back about the possibility of mine going in that job if it was a courier, albiet with a different address, but not sure where that go to...

Manticle, I certainly can post the recipes, but I think process, choice of bug and stupid amounts of patience are more important really. :D

Absolutely. That's why I asked for fermentation/ageing regimes as well. Getting myself set up to try my first ever soured brew which is why I'm interested.

New small fermenters, Glass carboy for ageing, oak chips and roselare yeast all making their way to manticle manor as I type.

That's my plan. I'll start the process tonight and should have an answer within a day or so...
You couldn't give me the dimensions too could you? Even just approx?

How are the NSW ones going back? Is that courier or post?
I posted a while back about the possibility of mine going in that job if it was a courier, albiet with a different address, but not sure where that go to...

Dimensions are 30x34x34 and 13.4kg

NSW ones are going back via courier courtesy of kabooby (who is putting it on his account with the courier company) you'd have to check with him.

Cheers
Q

Back