Found cheap kegs, are they any good?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lowlyf

Reaction score
I found these kegs online and yhey are pretty close to me. Cheap too, reckon they'll do they job? I'll replace the seals

Attachments

• 1498172003058.jpg
    1498172003058.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 268
The three with steel tops look like Mytton Rodd. If they're in good condition they're great kegs but if the need reconditioning it can be expensive. As above, hard to tell what fittings, if they need to be changed over that could cost more than a $70/$80 corny all up. The one with the blue rubber top looks newer but even some of the older firestone kegs have racetrack shaped lids which on that style of keg I've had problems getting to seal properly. The Mytton Rodd's have racetrack lids also but for me at least seem to have less issues sealing.

No expert having only just bought my first kegs myself but from what I know it is a matter of fittings, would need to check them out and check availability of parts. Just bought 6 corny kegs with ball lock posts last week and ordered enough gear to rebuild 4 them with some spare posts and seals for about $320 so pretty happy with that.

A couple of the metal ones could be pinlocks which have parts available for them - we had one at the PUBS club and the top looked the same, also the one at the front seems to be the odd man out comparing the posts to the ones at the back.

Blue one looks like a standard imported coke/pepsi ball lock corny from the states to me but its hard to tell without close up of the fittings.

Not sure about the other three.

To be honest I would stick with standard ball lock kegs as the parts are the most common so they are easier/cheaper to maintain.

If they're Mytton-Rodd type kegs, I'd say go for it. They were built to last. All the Corny stuff I see these days is flimsy by comparison.

Sure, you may have to fork-out a bit to recondition them, but once you've got them, it's a lifetime purchase.

FWIW, ALL of my kegs are MR & any Corny's I come across, I on-sell them & use the proceeds to buy MR spares.

$0.02

Sorry to go off topic, but Martin can you help me out? :p

My mate gave me some mytton rodd kegs, but one leaked c02 and then I was tightening the PRV on another and it shattered (ended up buying cornies)

To stop the leaks, do you use teflon tape on all connections? Or is there something else you can do? Everything on these is metal-on-metal thread, with at least one adapter on each connection to make it all fit.

Where do you buy new parts? A new PRV for starters but also new washers etc. as the ones I have are disintegrating.

Also need a new lid...

Sorry to go off topic, but Martin can you help me out? :p

My mate gave me some mytton rodd kegs, but one leaked c02 and then I was tightening the PRV on another and it shattered (ended up buying cornies)

To stop the leaks, do you use teflon tape on all connections? Or is there something else you can do? Everything on these is metal-on-metal thread, with at least one adapter on each connection to make it all fit.

Where do you buy new parts? A new PRV for starters but also new washers etc. as the ones I have are disintegrating.Also need a new lid...

It depends on what's actually wrong. Bearing in mind that these things are old, it's probably a good idea to rip them apart, clean everything & replace everything that isn't stainless. Once you've done that, they're pretty-much bullet-proof for a very long time. I get my spares from Greensborough Home Brewing (to support Dave), but that's just me.

http://www.easykegging.com.au/product-category/mytton-rodd-keg-parts/ Don't take my word for it, as there are lots of places that sell MR spares. Mardoo is an absolute Demon at finding stuff for these things, so maybe PM him?

No teflon tape required if you get the right bits.

I ended up buying some like this, and the cost of refurb was more than some ball locks to buy.

Money pit.

Yeah, but they're superb once you have them up & running.

So I went and looked at those kegs. I took some photos. They would definitely need some new seals. I just don't know enough about them to shell out on them just yet but I added some photos. Let me know what you think

Attachments

• 1498351394855.jpg
    1498351394855.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 125
  • 1498351402384.jpg
    1498351402384.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 124
  • 1498351409425.jpg
    1498351409425.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 117
  • 1498351417386.jpg
    1498351417386.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 116
  • 1498351423403.jpg
    1498351423403.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 101
The seals for the lids and the o rings for the posts are pretty easy to get and similar cost to corny seals. Its the seals and poppets under the posts which are more specific and expensive. As above, as ive experience with these kegs i would offer a bit less with refurbishment in mind.

I have a mix of MR and cornies, and some new KK corny type, if I had the choice I'd go all MR, with any keg your going to have to rekit them at some point. If I buy any keg second hand I usually rekit any way just to be sure. MR are worth the extra effort they don't and won't ever again make a keg as solid as these are.

2c

The seals for the lids and the o rings for the posts are pretty easy to get and similar cost to corny seals. Its the seals and poppets under the posts which are more specific and expensive. As above, as ive experience with these kegs i would offer a bit less with refurbishment in mind.

I dont suppose you can attach a photo or link of the seals and poppets I should look at??

To be honest Lowlyf the advice of all above is to buy them. Even at $40 you can't go wrong as these kegs are superior to Chinese. Get them before someone else does.

G,day all i have 4 of these type kegs 2x18lt and 2x20lt they are a ball lock and pin lock i have had them for about 25 years and still seal perfect parts are available at LHBS i replaced the hatch cover seal on the 4 of them with the new 19lt type seal and they work fine i wish i had more. i brought 4 of the later 19lt only because the 20lt ones are a bit bigger than the 19lt and don't fit my kegerator i say go for it and buy them. My LHBS said that it is hard to get the fittings for the 19lt kegs ( gas in and liquid out the ones that screw in to the kegs ) Happy brewing Gary

Back