clearing beer from CO2 line

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

I accidentally put my CO2 line onto the outlet, and as a result have beer in the CO2 line, which is doing a very good job as an airlock.

Anyone have any suggestions about how to fix this, apart from replacing the line?

Put a carb cap in the connector, and apply pressure from the regulator. Be warned this will spray beer. Has beer made it into the regulator?

What sort of co2 setup do you have? As simple as a co2 bottle to keg or a manifold with multiple lines etc?
You probably want to run some warm water through it all to clean out the beer then pump some co2 through it to push the water out & dry out a bit.

If you can't clean like you would a beer line then replacing is your best bet. Beer/gas line is cheap, so avoid the risk.

Thanks for your replies. I finally decided to replace all the lines, as I have also been experiencing mystery leaks which become very expensive when the CO2 bottle gets drained. Hopefully both problems solved now.

1. Disconnect the CO2 line from the keg or tap.
  2. Release the pressure in the line by opening the relief valve or depressurizing the system.
  3. Prepare a cleaning solution by mixing warm water and a suitable beer line cleaner.
  4. Attach one end of a cleaning brush or a cleaning attachment to the CO2 line and insert it into the line.
  5. Push the brush or attachment through the line, scrubbing gently to remove any beer residue.
  6. Rinse the line thoroughly with clean water and more info insta pro.
  7. Reconnect the CO2 line to the keg or tap and pressurize the system.
  8. Run a small amount of beer through the line to ensure it is clear of any cleaning solution or debris.
  9. Enjoy your fresh and clean beer! Remember to consult the manufacturer's instructions and recommendations for cleaning your specific equipment.

Back