Filtering Beer & The Fart Issues

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hando

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm interested to know if anyone who's filtered their beer to get it yeast free and crystal clear, has noticed that the results have also improved the old "Home Brew Fart" issues.

If anyone has noticed improvements can they please direct me to some threads about how to do it and what equipment is needed?

Thanks in advance!!
hando

I filter all my beers with one of these Beer Filter Kit Mk II. Always get diamond bright beer with cold conditioning and a bit of polyclar in support. Never experienced the 'Home Brew Fart'... maybe cause i don't ingest much yeast... dunno

Edit: the filter kit may be a bit more expensive than the ones you find on ebay or from other suppliers... but with enough reading and searching around here, you'll quickly note that these ones are problem free in comparison the 'cheaper' versions. IMO worth the little extra for the quality and consistency

Fart away soldier!!

let no man/woman stand in the way of a good beer fart (unless they are german and well.... you know... ) :lol: :lol: :lol:

just put up one of these Image_0.jpg

Dunno about filters, Cold Conditioning does fine for the clarity I like, no additives to clear, just a good old fridge.

Yob

Image_1.jpg

I used to only cold condition and thought I had bright beer etc. Filtering does still remove a lot of stuff you may not think makes it into your keg. I know this because of the deposits at the bottom of an empty keg that are no longer there after filtering, and seeing the crap that comes out when you clean the filter after use.

I have a cheap filter I got in a bulk buy here and haven't had any issues that aren't my own fault. It's a 0.35 micron non-absolute paper one. I think my total cost was something like $60. I couldn't justify paying the CB price, just seemed way too much, but $60 is definitely worth it.

I gravity filter. I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would want to clean two kegs and filter keg to keg, when gravity filtering is easier and quicker.

Fart away soldier!!

let no man/woman stand in the way of a good beer fart (unless they are german and well.... you know... ) :lol: :lol: :lol:

just put up one of these View attachment 48846

Dunno about filters, Cold Conditioning does fine for the clarity I like, no additives to clear, just a good old fridge.

Yob

View attachment 48847

"NEVER, trust a fart"

Edit: Particularly after a case-swap diet of beer, curry, pickled eggs, and chile rellenos <_<

Ok Guys, Thanks for the input.
yesterday I woke up and thought I'd put a brew on to ferment... first time in about 2 years... (I know it's terrible). In that time the Mrs. has taken over the fermentation fridge, and shoved all my beer equipment to the back and bottom of the junk in our storage room. So after digging it out, and whilst cleaning the kegs and fermenter... I got thinking and, realised that it was partly because of the farting that I'd stopped brewing in the first place. I think it's probably because of the yeast, because I can drink commercial brew all day and not fart much.

I will definitely give filtering a go, I will also let you all know if I notice a difference with the farts LOL!!!

beer_fart_demotivational_poster_1245366730.jpg

Mark^Barsted

What size (mesh) filter do you use when gravity filtering?

Cheers

Wobbly

When Mrs jyo was pregnant with our second bubs she suffered chronic heartburn. She was eating 'Tums' (calcium carbonate) tablets like lollies to ease the pain.

She suggested I try one at night to alleviate the midnight under-cover stench that I tend to produce after a few beers. Problem solved! They work a treat if you want to stop farting. If, of course, that is what you really want. :D

I filter all my beers with one of these Beer Filter Kit Mk II. Always get diamond bright beer with cold conditioning and a bit of polyclar in support. Never experienced the 'Home Brew Fart'... maybe cause i don't ingest much yeast... dunno

Not that I ever fart because of my beer - must be Mrs CE's cooking. The only reason I haven't started (other than "you're spending MORE money on your home brew?") is that I wasn't sure what the effect on the yeast content for carbonation would be.

I've seen posts that say plenty is still in suspension after filtering. I usually leave my beers for 3 months before drinking anyway, would I need to do anything more?

Mark^Barsted

What size (mesh) filter do you use when gravity filtering?

Cheers

Wobbly

Pretty sure it's 0.35 micron nominal.

From memory takes about 15-20 minutes to filter a 20L batch into the keg.

This is obviously much quicker than cleaning an additional keg and doing a keg to keg transfer.

By the way does anyone know what's up with roast farts?

Whenever I eat roasts (meat cooked in the oven) i fart all night afterwards. Doesn't matter if it's beef or lamb or even chicken.

maybe garlic or herbs on it?? Yeah I get chronic BF happening if I dont let it clear out lol

Whenever I eat roasts (meat cooked in the oven) i fart all night afterwards. Doesn't matter if it's beef or lamb or even chicken.

Comes from the unfiltered gravy. ;)

Hey folks,
I thought you all deserve a follow up on this old thread...

I bought a gravity filtering kit of 0.35 micron from Clarence Water Filters they sell them on eBay too but the prices are better if you go directly to their site. Service was good from these guys - as it should be. The kit arrived within 48 hours.

I've done a few brews since and having filtered them all, I have to say I have noticed a big difference in the fart issues I was having. LOL. So for those of you out there who may be looking for another reason to convince yourself or your missus of spending the money on filter kits. I think it's worth the extra expense.

In addition, I don't think it adds too much hassle to the process.

Hope that helps
Cheers :D

I've heard that women who drink too much home brew can develop yeast infections.... Pretty nasty. But anyway, here is the answer - Filtering.

Its the roast vegies!

My mrs cooked up roast vegies last night. We were going to pick up a chicken but the shop had already closed, so we just had the vegies. I been up since 4am farting like its no ones business!

It's veges, I havnt eaten any meat for 2years and I can safely say my farting has sky rocketed. I think I could power my car to and from work each day.

Is there a reason why roast vegies do that but steamed / boiled don't?

Hey folks,
I thought you all deserve a follow up on this old thread...

I bought a gravity filtering kit of 0.35 micron from Clarence Water Filters they sell them on eBay too but the prices are better if you go directly to their site. Service was good from these guys - as it should be. The kit arrived within 48 hours.

I've done a few brews since and having filtered them all, I have to say I have noticed a big difference in the fart issues I was having. LOL. So for those of you out there who may be looking for another reason to convince yourself or your missus of spending the money on filter kits. I think it's worth the extra expense.

In addition, I don't think it adds too much hassle to the process.

Hope that helps
Cheers :D

Bought on your recommendation.

Latest posts

Back