Fermentation crisis :)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farsonic

Reaction score
Hi there,

Thinking I was all organized for a change I fermented a batch of wort in my temperature controlled fridge while I was away on holiday for the last 10 days. I use a Keg King temperature controller which was set to my desired fermentation temperature.

Somehow along the way (probably some last minute checking before leaving) the thermometer was bumped out of the fridge and the end result is the fridge has been hovering around 1.5C for the last 10 days.

I've reset the system so the wort will be warming up over the next 24 hours.

Do I let the US-05 yeast come back to life?
Give the fermenter a stir to kick it back into life (once at temperature)
Re-pitch some more yeast?

Cheers for the advice.

F

All three are fine and in the order you have written them. 1 will probably be enough but follow with 2 if it isn't and 3 if 2 isn't. I think she'll spring back to life with temperature increase..

also agree. would have been worse if it was sitting at ambient temperature. might be worth aerating also. should be fine though. RDWHAHB.

Dude,you cold crash at the END of fermentation.. :icon_cheers:

You are lucky. I had the same thing happen in WINTER. Probe fell out and my schwartzbier sat at 30 for first few days. Tasted ok. Called it a dry stout.

I know now what higher alchohols taste like and do to your body.... Worst headache after 1 glass.

I would follow the above advice. Heat, swirl, RDWHAHB.

Thanks - I must be learning something from all this if my recovery procedure was sound.

And yes, Cold crash at the end...I was hoping that after being away for 10 days that I'd be about to get to my cold crash :)

Cheers

F

Latest posts

Back