• We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.

Expired Yeast Sachets

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

Helmut

Reaction score
This may sound like a dumb question but is there any problem in seeing if an expired yeast sachet can be rehydrated and then cultured up in a starter wort? If the yeast is dead it obviously won't start, but would there be any problem using it if it does work?
Was given 2 sachets of expired Fermentis S-04 from the local home brew shop as he couldn't get any S-05 that I wanted.

warra48

I've drunk all my homebrew and I'm still worried.
Reaction score
No problem at all, if you have signs of life in the yeast.

I did a recent brew where I used 4 sachets of S23 at the end of their best before date. They were a bargain from MHB. I simply rehydrated them and pitched them at 10C into 25 litres of Alt, and fermented for 3 weeks, lagered for 5 weeks, all in primary. Beer went from 1.053 to 1.010, and tastes great, and is clear as a bell.

hoppy2B

Reaction score
I recently finished off a packet of 04 with a small biab of only 4 and 1/2 litres. The packet had been open and was 2 years past its expiry date. I didn't even know I had it and found it by accident when digging around in the fridge. Went off like a rocket and the beer is fine. ^_^

Helmut

Reaction score
Cheers for the responses. I'll try rehydrating both sachets tonight and make up a starter. If she starts going then I'll use it to pitch into a "Wizard Smith" Clone on the weekend. Fingers crossed.

Leon

Parks

wort jockey
Reaction score
I think the general advice is make a starter and ensure it tastes and smells normal.

Latest posts