Expired Yeast Sachets

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helmut

Reaction score
This may sound like a dumb question but is there any problem in seeing if an expired yeast sachet can be rehydrated and then cultured up in a starter wort? If the yeast is dead it obviously won't start, but would there be any problem using it if it does work?
Was given 2 sachets of expired Fermentis S-04 from the local home brew shop as he couldn't get any S-05 that I wanted.

No problem at all, if you have signs of life in the yeast.

I did a recent brew where I used 4 sachets of S23 at the end of their best before date. They were a bargain from MHB. I simply rehydrated them and pitched them at 10C into 25 litres of Alt, and fermented for 3 weeks, lagered for 5 weeks, all in primary. Beer went from 1.053 to 1.010, and tastes great, and is clear as a bell.

I recently finished off a packet of 04 with a small biab of only 4 and 1/2 litres. The packet had been open and was 2 years past its expiry date. I didn't even know I had it and found it by accident when digging around in the fridge. Went off like a rocket and the beer is fine. ^_^

Cheers for the responses. I'll try rehydrating both sachets tonight and make up a starter. If she starts going then I'll use it to pitch into a "Wizard Smith" Clone on the weekend. Fingers crossed.

Leon

I think the general advice is make a starter and ensure it tastes and smells normal.

Latest posts

Back