First time using a yeast starter - did I stuff it??

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MKNew2Brew

Reaction score
Hey all,

So I’m pretty new to homebrewing and am seeking some more experienced opinions (literally anyone). I am attempting to brew an IPA with a pretty high OG - so to assist it attempted to make a yeast starter for the first time (using white labs London Fog). The yeast starter seemed to come out well, but that is where i think I cooked it.. when I pitched the yeast starter I didn’t swirl it, so the “yeast sludge” stayed at the bottom of the flask (I soon realised that was likely the important part - so I pretty much pitched the krausen and yeast wort I think). Now because I’m an absolute newb, to solve the problem, I just added some of my cooled IPA wort back into the flask swirled the yeast loosed, re-pitched it, and gave the whole thing a shake (to aerate it).
So the questions is: have I likely ruined my beer or killed my yeast? If so can I salvage it at all? Or doomed to a bad brew?

Appreciate any info or opinion.

If your sanitation was good at every step, including sanitation of all the utensils you used, serious infection is unlikely unless you waited many hours before the second pitching.

Should be okay, time will tell.
Resist temptation to keep fiddling by opening the fermenter. Just wait.

Latest posts

Back