Eucalyptus Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taylor

Reaction score
So, I'm thinking of brewing a Eucalyptus Pale Ale. I would only put a small amount of eucalyptus in obviously, but enough to be able to call it a "Eucalyptus Beer".
Am I crazy to think this might work? Lol
Discuss...

Patent pending...
< <
> >
I'm not really into Saisons, I could make a Lemon Myrtle Lambic... Or something like that. Will probably end up as a Saison anyway lol

Be very gentle on how much you use. A liitle goes a very long way

Remember that Eucalyptus is also has ant microbial properties

Mad Brewers did one a few years ago. Scribbly Gum lager. I do remember you could taste the eucalyptus.

Someone else had the exact same idea yesterday. From the article:

What is your dream beer?
I think we would all have ludicrous ideas floating around in our heads, but here are a few I have thought about of late:
  • Eucalyptus Pale Ale: make it inviting at around 4.2 percent. A friend and I have always wanted to use native flora from Australia in a beer, so maybe the next home brew?
http://craftypint.com/news/939/Beer_Nuts_Beardface

I used to work for James Squire and we had this same discussion on making a true Aussie beer with eucalyptus.

Unfortunately, due to eucalyptus being poisonous and not being able to get a kick from the additive at low levels, we gave it a miss.

We changed direction and came out with the Scribbly Gum Lager from Mad Brewers instead. I think we used Myrtle In that?

Cheers

Chris

Poisionous? So what do they put in those little eucalyptus lollies?

Simdop said:
Poisionous? So what do they put in those little eucalyptus lollies?
Cineole base eucalyptus oil used in very small amounts, I believe
would still probably kill your yeast, but it's worth the experiment to see if it would work or not

I always wondered what the result would be from using some crushed eucalyptus leafs

I knew I read something about someone keen to do one recently
lukiferj said:

What is your dream beer?
I think we would all have ludicrous ideas floating around in our heads, but here are a few I have thought about of late:
  • Eucalyptus Pale Ale: make it inviting at around 4.2 percent. A friend and I have always wanted to use native flora from Australia in a beer, so maybe the next home brew?
From Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eucalyptus_oil
The probable lethal dose of pure eucalyptus oil for an adult is in the range of 0.05 mL to 0.5 mL/per kg of body weight.

lukiferj said:

What is your dream beer?

Hey Lukifer

Yeah I saw that on BT. I was actually talking to Nick (Barnes) about this last week because we were doing a brew and Eucalyptus leaves kept falling off his tree and blowing into the kettle - that's where I got the idea haha.

I knew it was poisonous in large amounts, i wasn't going to put THAT much in... Haha

I reckon put heaps in and make it a IEPA - India Eucalyptus Pale Ale. Using a "leafburst" hop leaf schedule like dogfish head 90minute.

Liam_snorkel said:
I reckon put heaps in and make it a IEPA - India Eucalyptus Pale Ale. Using a "leafburst" hop leaf schedule like dogfish head 90minute.
Hmm... Maybe? I'll have to experiment...

What have you got to lose? Go hard I reckon, it might turn out awesome!

Liam_snorkel said:
What have you got to lose? Go hard I reckon, it might turn out awesome!
I have an AIPA ready to pitch (whenever I get around to it) so I might put a little aside and make some Eucalyptus Brew with that...

I thought about this - and my idea was to use some of those eucalypt lollies as carbonation drops. That way you can try it out on one or two bottles and if it's terrible then at least the nice pale ale isn't all wasted.

My other idea was to smoke some malt using eucalyptus wood/leaves. Obviously this would give more of a bushfire taste to the beer rather than the oil.

I would have thought that eucalyptus would cause issues with head retention being an oily ingredient.

klangers said:
I thought about this - and my idea was to use some of those eucalypt lollies as carbonation drops. That way you can try it out on one or two bottles and if it's terrible then at least the nice pale ale isn't all wasted.

My other idea was to smoke some malt using eucalyptus wood/leaves. Obviously this would give more of a bushfire taste to the beer rather than the oil.
Bloody good idea!

Latest posts

Back